Star Citizen Info Thread - Page 26 - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General Non-RPG » Star Citizen Info Thread

Default Star Citizen Info Thread

December 28th, 2020, 23:31
Originally Posted by JFarrell71 View Post
They can and do all that now, and charge for all of it piecemeal. If anyone complains about the quality of what they're playing or the 5 fps, they can just say "it's in development."
But I think they could keep doing that even if they released it officially. Such models already exist, Eagle Dynamics do that with DCS simulator, or Laminar Research with X-Plane. It's in constant evolution even though it's released.

With DCS there are stable and beta branches, new aircraft modules are released now and then (not everyday, those are quite complex add-ons), with an Early Access phase, there are periods where campaigns or modules are broken (even on the stable branch). Of course people are not always happy, but they stay because they know it'll improve, and overall it's been working pretty well for years.

No microtransaction, virtual money and so on, of course, they're honest sims.

Redglyph

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)

January 4th, 2021, 17:11
Looks like Shroud of the Avatar found a worthy spiriutal successor.
--
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
- George Bernard Shaw

Currently playing: Old World

Morrandir

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)

January 4th, 2021, 23:01
Originally Posted by Redglyph View Post
But I think they could keep doing that even if they released it officially. Such models already exist, Eagle Dynamics do that with DCS simulator, or Laminar Research with X-Plane. It's in constant evolution even though it's released.
There are expectations that come along with releasing a game that don't come with calling it a beta, early access, or whatever term you want to use.

JFarrell71

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)

May 25th, 2021, 17:00
So, still hopeful this will come out before I die - though it's taking even longer than I would have expected. Well, not really - but I guess I've finally accepted just how long it's going to take - rather than being hopeful CIG will ever meet one of their date-related goals

Meaning I'm no longer following it closely - but just enough to recognize that they're still making excellent progress. But it's still going to be several years before anything resembling a beta is going to be out.

SQ42 really does seem relatively close to the finish line, but there's no way I'm going to speculate on a release date. I'm just not going there anymore with this game.

Anyway, if anyone is genuinely interested in just how ridiculously ambitious they're being with this game - here's a new video of my favorite CIG designer Tony Z - that goes into some detail about the Universe simulation systems. This guy is insane when it comes to design/mechanics talent - and he's essentially spent the past 7 years designing the systems responsible for basically simulating an entire universe with a level of detail that's far, far ahead of anything else that ever was in gaming:

loading…

TheDart

Mentioned: Post(s)
+1:

May 25th, 2021, 17:34
Originally Posted by TheDart View Post
So, still hopeful this will come out before I die
I don't see a problem.
You'll play it from afterlife.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 200 Post(s)

May 25th, 2021, 18:06
I stopped reading the updates some time ago, I just chuck them into the spam file, now. I'll be frankly amazed if we ever get a single player game out of this entire fiasco, mark my words.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)

May 25th, 2021, 18:09
Originally Posted by Carnifex View Post
I stopped reading the updates some time ago, I just chuck them into the spam file, now. I'll be frankly amazed if we ever get a single player game out of this entire fiasco, mark my words.
Oh, we will.

The real question is will enough people have access to their 3080s before it happens!

TheDart

May 25th, 2021, 18:10
As you say. For now, I'll continue plodding along in Pathfinder and Pantheon, whenever the bloody servers are up! =p

Carnifex

SasqWatch

May 25th, 2021, 18:12
As you say. For now, I'll continue plodding along in Pathfinder and Pantheon, whenever the bloody servers are up! =p
Pantheon the MMO? Now there's a game that's questionable when it comes to an actual release happening

TheDart

May 25th, 2021, 19:24
Originally Posted by TheDart View Post
Anyway, if anyone is genuinely interested in just how ridiculously ambitious they're being with this game - here's a new video of my favorite CIG designer Tony Z - that goes into some detail about the Universe simulation systems. This guy is insane when it comes to design/mechanics talent - and he's essentially spent the past 7 years designing the systems responsible for basically simulating an entire universe with a level of detail that's far, far ahead of anything else that ever was in gaming:
That must be quite fun to develop!
Don't show that to Vincke Swen though, or he'll make Baldur's Gate 3 an MMO just to build similar tools

Redglyph

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
+1:

May 25th, 2021, 21:06
Considering I've been playing it on and off, in different incarnations for the past four years, at least it does exist. Whether or not it actually launches for real is anyone's guess at this time, yet as long as the current servers are maintained and I can play it a few hours per week, I'll be content.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

May 26th, 2021, 08:41
Considering I've been playing it on and off, in different incarnations for the past four years, at least it does exist. Whether or not it actually launches for real is anyone's guess at this time, yet as long as the current servers are maintained and I can play it a few hours per week, I'll be content.
Well, I've been playing Star Citizen for significantly longer than that

Doesn't really change much in terms of how people perceive it, though.

I'm hopeful Pantheon will be out eventually - but I personally doubt it'll be able to stay afloat, even if it does.

I think the ship has sailed on that kind of game long ago, but I could be wrong.

TheDart

May 26th, 2021, 17:25
At least I'm on that boat, with numerous life preservers, if necessary

Carnifex

SasqWatch

RPGWatch Forums » Games » General Non-RPG » Star Citizen Info Thread