What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread - Page 291 - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

Default What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

June 10th, 2021, 00:06
Originally Posted by danutz_plusplus View Post
Started watching the live-action movie Ghost in the Shell, the one with Scarlet Johansen (however you spell her name). About half way through. It's pretty decent so far, but what made me stop and post this is I'm amazed at how many things CDPR took from this an put into Cyberpunk 2077. I've seen the original manga Ghost in the Shell a long time ago, but I can't remember if these were in that one also, or if this movie came up with them. Regardless, it was surprising to see so many things in it.

EDIT: Finished Ghost in the Shell. Pretty decent. Not too shabby. I expected a lot worse. It's no Blade Runner, but it was pretty good.
I didn't really care for Ghost in the Shell, but I never get tired of looking at Scarlett Johansson.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 105 Post(s)
+1:

June 10th, 2021, 03:23
I really enjoyed the manga series when I read it, Ghost in the Shell. That must have been maybe 1990 I think, then I saw the film that came out four or five years after that. Never saw the more recent one yet.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)

June 10th, 2021, 15:40
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
I didn't really care for Ghost in the Shell, but I never get tired of looking at Scarlett Johansson.
That movie, live remake of the animated masterpiece, is an utter bs.
IMO it's one of the biggest remake bs, if not the biggest (refused to watch Mulan so can't know), of this century.

In the transition from animation to live version the story lost it's soul - the story that is about soul.
Avoid the remake abomination like a plague.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 200 Post(s)

June 10th, 2021, 21:30
Originally Posted by joxer View Post
That movie, live remake of the animated masterpiece, is an utter bs.
IMO it's one of the biggest remake bs, if not the biggest (refused to watch Mulan so can't know), of this century.

In the transition from animation to live version the story lost it's soul - the story that is about soul.
Avoid the remake abomination like a plague.
Well, I'm not into Anime much, so I guess I wasn't as distressed by the movie as you apparently were.

Tbh, I don't remember much about it other than Johansson.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

June 11th, 2021, 15:25
Anime is only an expression style and you not being into some styles much does not matter here.

The point is that the original GitS is ment for mature audience. Unlike the remake.
It's content cannot be understood by low IQ people or minors.
Which leaves us the question, are you into mature movies much or not.
The second question is are you prepared to risk your sanity by checking something some people call a masterpiece or you'd rather stick with overhyped and overadvertised mainstream.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

June 11th, 2021, 17:54
So as a tyke, I was a huge fan of detective books series, specifically ones like Nancy Drew, Bobbsey Twins, Hardy boys, and by far my favourite, the Three Investigators. A friend had told me she was sure a film had been made of this series about ten years ago and, sure enough, with a little research I found it. It's called the Three Investigators and the Secret of Skeleton Island, and so I checked it out. The casting wasn't very good, I think over the past fifty something years I already had an idea of what they should all look like on the screen, and none of them fit well. The story was decent at least, yet I doubt I'll seek out the other film, as there is a second available. Sometimes you just need to stick to the books…..wait, actually, that should be almost all the time.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

+1:

June 11th, 2021, 19:55
Originally Posted by joxer View Post
The point is that the original GitS is ment for mature audience. Unlike the remake.
It's content cannot be understood by low IQ people or minors.
Which leaves us the question, are you into mature movies much or not.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

June 13th, 2021, 13:24
I've finally seen a movie that's been on my list for 15+ years at least. Stalker, the russian film by Tarkovsky.
Watched. That was different. Reminded me of The Man from Earth, which consisted of only talking. Stalker had less talking and more reflecting. Didn't realize Tarkovsky was the one who also made Solyaris, which I only watched the remake of.
--
"Mystery is important. To know everything, to know the whole truth, is dull. There is no magic in that. Magic is not knowing, magic is wondering about what and how and where." ~ Cortez, from The Longest Journey

Arhu

Feline Wizard
Administrator
RPGWatch Team
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)

June 13th, 2021, 14:30
Originally Posted by Arhu View Post
Watched. That was different. Reminded me of The Man from Earth, which consisted of only talking. Stalker had less talking and more reflecting. Didn't realize Tarkovsky was the one who also made Solyaris, which I only watched the remake of.
Yeah, in both Stalker and Solaris, Tarkovsky does a whole lot with very little, and leaves a lot to the imagination. And because of that it makes you think. But even so, Stalker looks amazing. And it's shocking how much atmosphere Stalker has, with so little. So many memorable shots. The tunnel and the sand dune room in particular, are especially memorable.

danutz_plusplus

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)

June 13th, 2021, 15:50
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
Tbh, I don't remember much about it other than Johansson.
Which is perfectly understandable, we all get it!!
--
Sou tricolor de corao!

Sie sind das Essen und Wir sind die Jger!
Last edited by henriquejr; June 14th, 2021 at 05:30.

henriquejr

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)

June 18th, 2021, 23:52
Watched the documentary Bellingcat: Truth in a Post-Truth World. Really interesting stuff about a group of amateur journalists that do a deep dives into the major international news stories, and follow up in a way most news organizations don't. Some really interesting characters, and they've become a thorn in the side of tyrants.
--
"I cannot define the real problem, therefore I suspect there's no real problem, but I'm not sure there's no real problem."
Richard Feynman

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)

June 19th, 2021, 03:24
I finally got around to watching the Boondock Saints. I've been meaning to watch this film for years, just never got around to it. Some of the action sequences were a bit odd, yet I think that's what they were designed to be, and I found the story pretty good. That was a really good role for Bill Connolly, that's an actor I cannot ever get too much of.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

June 19th, 2021, 17:19
Originally Posted by Alrik Fassbauer View Post
Originally Posted by HiddenX View Post
Best rpg-comedy ever €

Astróp*a
This is a classic. I still need to buy it.

Two years ago EVERYONE who was pen & paper role-playing had to buy it.
Watched it finally.
Astrpa.

As I'm this late to the party, more than a decade passed, perhaps I cannot share the thrills.

The idea is good, actors were really trying, but I just couldn't enjoy it.
It's obviously ment to be a comedy, but humor was not funny, not to me at least.
A scene as example:
Spoiler

Sure, there are redeeming qualities with comics styled stills and a sort of from useless but fancylooking zero to a quality person thanks to, what would be the proper word, pnp-ing?, but the whole thing was kinda boring to watch.

Not saying you should not try, maybe you find it awsome, but it just didn't work for me.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

June 19th, 2021, 22:57
Finally saw a movie that’s been on my list for a long time. 21 Jump Street. Haven’t laughed so hard at a comedy in a long time. It was a great lighthearted buddy-cop style comedy.
Last edited by danutz_plusplus; June 20th, 2021 at 09:41.

danutz_plusplus

SasqWatch

June 20th, 2021, 03:17
I remember the television series from a few decades back, yet haven't seen the film version of 21 Jump Street. I'm a huge fan of Peter DeLuise, both in front of and behind the camera.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

June 21st, 2021, 00:34
Watched the director's cut of Watchmen again last night. It's so much better than the rest of Zack Snyder's films that it's almost hard to believe it came from him.

Also rewatched A Quiet Place since I plan on seeing the sequel very soon. I think I enjoyed it a little more this time around. It's actually pretty solid for a modern horror film.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

June 21st, 2021, 17:47
Yeah that director's cut of Watchmen is the only way to go, imo. By far Snyder's best flick, nothing else comes close to hit from him for me. And one of the few films that follows the original material fairly well, even elevating it in some areas.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

June 22nd, 2021, 17:47
I watched another one that I’ve been meaning for some time. Midsommar. Pretty cool horror movie. I love it when horror movies avoid jump scares, and instead go for dread and uneasyness. Didn’t much understand or love the ending. I mean the motivations of the character.

danutz_plusplus

SasqWatch

June 22nd, 2021, 19:54
I watched another one that I’ve been meaning for some time. Midsommar. Pretty cool horror movie. I love it when horror movies avoid jump scares, and instead go for dread and uneasyness. Didn’t much understand or love the ending. I mean the motivations of the character.
His other movie was full of subtle references, I expect Midsommar is no different.

kazga

Watchdog

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

June 24th, 2021, 18:57
I loved Midsommar. It's been a couple of years since I've seen it but I think her motivations are more or less it's better to have a fucked up family than no family at all.

JFarrell71

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread