Dishonored 2 - Background Details

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Eurogamer takes a look back at Dishonored 2 and likes the attention to details in the periphery.

In an age of complex 3D environments, though, it's now all about looking up. "Players new to our games are not used to being able to climb everywhere on everything," explains Carrier. "I think it has to do with some sort of unconscious conditioning. In the first [Dishonored], some players were not climbing at all because they assumed that, if it was climbable, there would have been a UI prompt, so we had to add a prompt every time the system was detecting a possible climb. But we didn't do it for Dishonored 2, probably because we assumed that, nowadays, climbing and verticality were more common, with the Deus Ex, Assassin's Creed or Batman series being very popular."

Still, one of my favourite secrets in Dishonored 2 has gone unnoticed by so many players. Even if you haven't played developer Arkane's immersive sim, you'll probably be familiar with the Clockwork Mansion level. Filled with switches and pulleys that transform the construction around you, it's home to unhinged inventor Kirin Jindosh. In thrall to his own brilliance, he refers to his mechanical mansion "a testament to engineering itself". It's ironic, then, that the mansion's real creator, Arkane, presents this shifting maze to its players with no hint of self-importance. If players just glance up as they enter, they will see a skylight - they only need to shoot out the glass and use spectral powers Blink or Far Reach to teleport up into the rafters. From there, they are free to creep through the mansion's inner workings, ignoring the splendour of much of this reshuffling residence, never pulling a single lever to make the clockwork gears whir.
More information.

Can't wait to play this immersive sim, it's certainly the most complex game on PC.

Can't wait to play this immersive sim
And I can't wait to see an imaginary unit aka squareroot(-1) with my own eyes.

Why are we discussing things that don't exist in reality?
At least my example is useable in calculations. Journalists one is useable only when they need to confuse the buyer.

And I can't wait to see an imaginary unit aka squareroot(-1) with my own eyes.

Why are we discussing things that don't exist in reality?
At least my example is useable in calculations. Journalists one is useable only when they need to confuse the buyer.

lol wtf are you talking about? No, actually, please don't explain.

So anyways love the Dishonored series. I played most of it when it came out in 2012 but then I started over recently and played through all of the first game as Corvo, then the DLC as Daud, both story DLCs serving as one arc, and introducing Delilah. Just finished Dishonored 2 as Corvo, now replaying as Emily. The story in Dishonored 2 starts a little contrived but the characters and the world really interest me, and the gameplay is king.

Flames are never doused completely...all you need is a little heat.

I have no idea what I am talking about. But I do like the Dishonored games.

Yeah these games have to be the most refined example of the stealth RPG FPS hybrid. The attention to detail is unreal and the gameplay is so polished.

Back
Top Bottom