BattleTech - Post Launch Roadmap

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
A new BattleTech update talks about the post-launch roadmap.

BATTLETECH Post-Launch Roadmap

1. Compatibility / Performance Investigations
Our launch last week wasn't perfect. A subset of players are experiencing hardware/system compatibility and performance issues that our team is working hard to investigate. Solutions for critical issues are always our top priority, and will be released as soon as they're available and tested. Typically, we will release patches to our public_beta branch on Steam for a few days for testing before we push them to the default branch.

On that note - last Friday we released our first patch to the public_beta branch for testing. Today, that 1.0.1 Patch went live - you can read the full changelog here. We expect to release more patches to public_beta in the coming days and weeks.

2. General BugFix (Late May)
We expect to release at least one general bugfix/improvements patch later in May.

3. Localization (French, German, Russian) and Linux Support
These are both Kickstarter commitments and high priorities for our post-launch roadmap. (Along with a couple other Kickstarter commitments that didn't make it in for launch.) We don't have a more precise ETA yet for these items but will update you as soon as we do.

4. Update #1: Customization & Player Options (June/July)
We're already beginning work on our first larger free Update to BATTLETECH. This Update is all about customization and reacting to common pieces of feedback that we've received from you on the game. Here's a list of items we're currently looking at for Update 1 this summer

--Accelerated Combat Options - We're working on options for players who would like to accelerate the pace of combat missions.

--MechWarrior Customization - We know that many players would like to change the appearance, callsign, name, and voice of all their MechWarriors, not just their Commander. This didn't make it in for launch but we'll be adding it in Update 1

--Granular difficulty settings - A set of discrete options for players to customize the challenge level of the game in different areas.

--MechLab / Store / Salvage Quality-of-Life Improvements - Interface additions to reduce friction when buying and salvaging new items.

--Tutorial-skip Option - Allowing players who have already played the prologue missions to skip those missions when starting a new campaign, and get right to the Leopard.

--Addressing Difficulty Spikes - We'll be working on smoothing out some issues with unexpectedly hard (or easy) content. Not to remove all difficulty variance, but to address clear outliers.

--Live-streaming Quality-of-Life Improvements - Audio persisting when alt-tabbed, for example.

It's important to note that the exact contents of Update 1 may shift during development. Please consider these general directions and priorities. We'll post a more detailed and updated list of what's in the Update closer to its release.

5. More BATTLETECH!!
The above is just the beginning! We'll be continuing with more free Updates after Update 1, and we'd also love to release a larger paid content Expansion or two - but right now we're staying focused on bugfixes and immediate reactions to launch feedback.

With your support, we could not be more excited to continue making BATTLETECH even bigger and better.

Thank you.
HBS
More information.

I really hope to play this for a long time to come since I love the Battletech universe and the game. There is still some air at the top and I'm sure they will provide that last effort to smooth out some minor annoyances.

I'm really looking forward to those big expansions and more of everything (and I'm only one third into the campaign and taking it slow).
My next playthrough will definitely take in account some higher difficulities and maybe mods.

Mods turned XCOM into a whole different game, just by improving the UI and gameplay, without adding content, so I feel the same.

Yup. Holding out for a bit more polish, but really looking forward to this. It'd be great if this developed a solid modding community.

Aye, let the baking continue, make it wonderful for when I get to it. Looks like this project may need a tad more tweeking than did the Shadowrun games.

I've only had to hire a couple more pilots. Glitch died but the rest have survived. It's making the training modules in the ship a bit pointless, really.

Seems like modding is possible and over 50 mods are out already at the Nexus.

https://www.nexusmods.com/battletech
Thanks for the link Pladio.

Now if only the memory leak and developers would stop using the unity engine. As every RPG or strategy game takes forever to load on map transitions. Tyranny was the worst.

Last edited:
Now if only the memory link and developers would stop using the unity engine. As every RPG or strategy game takes forever to load on map transitions. Tyranny was the worst.

This is the reason why I started to avoid indie titles like the plague when I know they are made with Unity.

Really enjoying this game!
Another hit from HBS!

There is good room to grow, with good modding options as well.
Other campaigns will be something to look forward to.

Some polish will make things nicer... new difficulty levels would also be good too.

I can forsee that they may run into issues if they break from canon to do more with this game (such as AoE bombs, which I reckon would be a great tactical addition!).
I personally would embrace any improvements, canon or not!

This is the reason why I started to avoid indie titles like the plague when I know they are made with Unity.
A few yeas ago I was applauding Unity, but the engine has to many flaws for certain games. That's also why Harebrained wont use it to make more Shadowrun games.

I tend to be sceptical of the popular generalisations about engines, but there does seem to be a notable consistency of horrendous load times in Unity games.

I tend to be sceptical of the popular generalisations about engines, but there does seem to be a notable consistency of horrendous load times in Unity games.
When I was playing Tyranny I could get up make a sandwich come back to the desk, and it still would be loading. Anywhere from 5 -25 minutes sometimes, and Obsidian blamed a codec pack. It must be a flaw in the code engine, or how it handles map loading.

Seems to be true for some users. I have been lucky so far and never had real problems with Unity games. Same for Battletech. Short load times and no crashes for me. After several hours load times might get a wee bit longer. Hope they can fix the technical difficulites for all the users.

I have only the minimum requirements on my laptop except for the processor

I run a 765m with 2gb of vram and 8gb of ram.

Oddly enough the load times for missions are about 20 seconds, which is alright in my book. The fps however is pretty slow at around 20 fps with a lot of slowdowns on large maps with particles like smoke and other stuff flying around.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Well then you both are lucky as the memory leak and long load times are affecting many gamers. Just look at the forums on Steam and the games official webpage.

Seems it doesn't matter what your gaming specs are either. Anyway I love to play Total War games and they have long loading times on your turn ending, but this is worse.

One problem that might contribute to the memory leak seems to be with how the game handles your saves. So it seems this game need more optimization with future patches.

POE also slows down the longer you play, and Wasteland 2 had the same problems.

Well then you both are lucky as the memory leak and long load times are affecting many gamers. Just look at the forums on Steam and the games official webpage.

Seems it doesn't matter what your gaming specs are either. Anyway I love to play Total War games and they have long loading times on your turn ending, but this is worse.

One problem that might contribute to the memory leak seems to be with how the game handles your saves. So it seems this game need more optimization with future patches.

POE also slows down the longer you play, and Wasteland 2 had the same problems.
Yeah I've had the opposite happen in other games so it doesn't surprise me.

Note that I do have the game installed on my ssd. That might be a big difference here.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Yeah I've had the opposite happen in other games so it doesn't surprise me.

Note that I do have the game installed on my ssd. That might be a big difference here.
Yeah installing the games onto an SSD drive improves loading times.

Back
Top Bottom