HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
PC Gamer reports that Phantom Doctrine is getting mod support:

Phantom Doctrine, the Cold War spy strategy game, is getting mod support

Can it fix the game's major flaws?

Cold War turn-based strategy game Phantom Doctrine (think XCOM with rougher edges) is getting mod support, developer CreativeForge Games has announced.

Here's hoping that modders can fix some of its major flaws. As Evan said in his review, Phantom Doctrine is occasionally brilliant, but mostly boring because both its enemies and heroes are too simple. Its combat is unbalanced, too: melee takedowns are a one-hit kill, and if you choose the right perks you can basically make your character invisible.

Thankfully, these are just the kind of things that mods can address. What if, as Evan suggests, you could spec your agents via a skill tree? That would make them feel more unique, and would give you incentive to stick with agents you picked up early on, rather than just switch to the more powerful agents that the game constantly serves up.

While the missions feel fresh for the first 10 hours, they soon turn stale, and follow predictable patterns. Again, that'd be something modders could address, adding new mission types and arenas in which to do battle.

[...]
Thanks henriquejr!

More information.

Mod support increases lifetine and replayability. Kudos to devs!!!

Yes, I'm hoping by the time I get to this, it will be pretty great.

Anybody tried? Game anywhere near the fun of XCOM / The Bureau: XCOM Declassified?

Excellent news about mod support. I have already played over 100hours of Phantom Doctrine, and i still want more
It's like Jagged Alliance for me.

It depends - it does get tedious after a while - the maps i think are better than xcom but the changes in how combat plays doesn't change much as the game progresses so in the end you mostly end up doing the same thing over and over and over.
-
I think xcom has more variance in combat. Stealth is stealth so you just sneak around in phantom doctrine.

I'm certainly in favor of mod support, but not as an out to properly balancing your own game. I hope they get their own mechanics in proper balance first and not just turn it over to the players.

I find the game balance just fine.... Why do you think it is not balanced ?

I'm certainly in favor of mod support, but not as an out to properly balancing your own game. I hope they get their own mechanics in proper balance first and not just turn it over to the players.

I find the game balance just fine…. Why do you think it is not balanced ?

I'm just going by the snip taken from the article for this thread, your comment in this thread and others I've read elsewhere. If the game gets so tedious, as you said, I find that a balance problem...or perhaps its deeper than that, in which case it's a bigger problem.

Fair enough. There is a piece of the snip above that says you can become practically invisible with the right perks. That is balance.

Back
Top Bottom