RPG with crafting

RPGfreak

Watcher
I have an itch for crafting, only without the MMORPG that often comes with it. Can anyone recommend and RPG with crafting elements (mining ore, smithing armor) that isnt Skyrim?

Minecraft? It's less or more a sandbox RPG now with health and XP and it got plenty of mining and crafting. Terraria is sort of similar but 2d.

Otherwise, in the single player sphere there isn't a lot of RPG with mining that is released. That's really a MMORPG thing. It also depends what you are looking for exactly. Two Worlds (1&2) and The Witcher 2 have crafting system, but it's not the game focus at all for example.

Can anyone recommend… that isnt Skyrim?
Absolutley!

No MMO, no plans to spit on fans and make MMO, no sandbox and no grind2win, yet includes hundreds of quests, mining and crafting:
Gothic (first three games, not Arcania!) & Risen

Divinity: Original Sin has this and it is coming out June 20th. It isn't the focus of the game, however. Much like Skyrim, crafting is just one piece of the crpg puzzle. There are hundreds of recipes: potions, scrolls, weapons, armor, rings, amulets, food, and even skill books can be crafted.

The game is on early access, but the current build has some major crafting issues.

Planet Explorers, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning

For more basic crafting (consumables, ammo) try games like Dragon Age and Oblivion (with the right mods is possible to extend Oblivion system to include things like armor and weapons)

Joxer mentioned this already, but Risen definitely has some nice crafting in it. You can do alchemy, forge weapons, create amulets and rings, make scrolls, cook food and I think there's more that I'm not remembering.

In terms of loot variety and interactivity which includes crafting, Risen is great.

Wasn't it so that you can craft in all Gothic series games ?

Apart from that, everything I wanted to add here is already added. ;)

In the other Divinity games, crafting is possible to some extend as well.

Medieval SIMs, too.

Neverwinter Nights 2!

No mining or anything, but... crafting!

Aye, NWN2 has decent crafting. NWN1: HotU as well.

Starbound is a sort of spiritual successor to Terraria, set in space with different races and a vague sense of progression as you hop from world to world building new stuff and upgrading your ship. It's got lost tombs, military bases, and towns to explore, too. Definitely worth a look.

If you have a PS3 or PS2, most jRPGs have some sort of crafting, and I can remember a couple of series where crafting is actually a co-focus (Ar Tonelico series) or the focus (Atelier series) of the game.

I personally found NWN2 crafting terrible. As with most things MotB had a more focused and generally much improved system.

Keep in mind that when it comes to Piranha Bytes games you don't get to craft armors. With the exception of G3 you don't get to craft an enormous amount of weapons, but those few that you do really count.

If you have a PS3 or PS2, most jRPGs have some sort of crafting, and I can remember a couple of series where crafting is actually a co-focus (Ar Tonelico series) or the focus (Atelier series) of the game.

I love the Atelier series! (n_n) But, I think my tastes are unusual for these forums. I like both western cRPGs and diabeetus inducing super-ultra-great-delicious-wonderful-kawaii jRPG games (a class of games to which the main Atelier games belong).

8066120184_d171a4f682_z.jpg

So if you can stomach things that taste like diabetes and you have a PS3, for crafting you can't go wrong with the Atelier games. I recommend starting with Atelier Totori rather than Atelier Rorona, because (although I personally liked Rorona) the consensus is that later games in the PS3 series are much better.

If you want to go further back to the PS2 era, the Atelier Iris series had a good crafting system as well. If you prefer more typical jRPG fare of dungeon crawling and battles, then Atelier Iris would be a good choice. I never played Iris 2 and Iris 3, but I enjoyed the first game (Atelier Iris Eternal Mana).

If you play Eternal Mana, remember that there is a bug in some of the NA NTSC versions of the game where you have to turn off the music or sound (can't remember which) to get past the final cutscene to start the post-game.

Oh, it turns out they re-released Atelier Rorona for the PS3 and the Vita with a host of improvements across the board. So if anyone likes JRPGs with crafting and you missed out on Rorona the first time, skip the original and get the remake called Atelier Rorona Plus which is superior in every way. I loved the original game so much that I just bought the remake too, lol. I still have other games in that series in my backlog, but I look forward to replaying this one with all the new goodies. (n_n)

Improvements include (but aren't limited to):
Added a magic point (MP) pool instead of consuming HP for skills and crafting
New dungeons
Improved crafting system
Improved 3D character models
Improved combat system
Improved mission/quest/reward systems
New events
New endings

Here's a spoiler free review (except for one silly event at the end of the video, nothing major to the story) by someone who liked the game yet couldn't pronounce Atelier (lol, I guess it's a hoity-toity French word, so understandable I guess) or Rorolina (Rorona's full name which I guess is a bit of a mouthful, so forgiven):

Not really an RPG but I REALLY like the crafting in Master of Magic. I think it's a great game anyone who might possibly like a 4x would love.

The crafting in Arcanum is good if you are itching to play an RPG, too. Too bad the game system is mostly broken.

Back
Top Bottom