Dragon Age: Inquisition - Available Now

So far I'm enjoying it, though it's clearly not made for a mouse/keyboard. I can't even get the key bindings to recognize anything beyond left and right mouse buttons, which makes combat as awkward as I thought it'd be.

Also having issues with fullscreen vs windowed mode, but just minor. No major bugs, yet.

Character creation is great, though I wish the lighting were better when doing some of the details. I restarted after the tutorial because the eye color of my male human warrior PC turned out to be a very feminine shade of violet when it appeared more blue in character creation. The detail allowed here combined with the gameplay really show how close this was to being an MMO. Glad it wasn't.

4 days set aside to play this baby. Bye bye sun.

I can't even get the key bindings to recognize anything beyond left and right mouse buttons, which makes combat as awkward as I thought it'd be.

Are you saying that you can't map the other button on your mouse? (yep, that doesn't work) Because keyboard keys are easily rebound.

Does combat really feel like a MMO? Yourcharacters will keep hacking at the enemies with the same animations, no one, including the enemy, feeling the impact of the blows, until they die?

Just a few hours in, but enjoying it a lot so far. It definitely plays best with a controller which is what I'm using. Some great lighting effects and I'm enjoying the companions' banter a GREAT deal. Only real downside is Bioware's continued need to have a Chosen One main plotline, although I guess that's just a byproduct of their type of relationship-based storytelling.
Anyway, can't wait to get back home and dive back in.
Sidenote: the game is a bit of a beast. I'm getting 35 fps with mixture of High, Medium, and Ultra texfures. I have a 7850 and have decided to upgrade to a 970 gtx which should handle it a bit better.

Character creation is great, though I wish the lighting were better when doing some of the details.

Frustrating. People have been pointing this out since Origins, and it seems like making the lighting in character creation match in-game daylight would be such a simple fix.

Are you saying that you can't map the other button on your mouse? (yep, that doesn't work) Because keyboard keys are easily rebound.

Yes, that is what I'm saying. I don't expect it to support 15 mouse buttons, but "left, right and scroll" only is a little weak for a modern game.

Overall it feels like a big redemption of the Dragon Age series. I've played a mix of the multiplayer and single-player. On Hard difficulty the combat feels surprisingly fast-paced. Blink for a second and your character will be dead followed by a "load past save" screen. I wasn't prepared for how much I was going to hate dislike Cassandra and the chantry.

Multiplayer is redemption of Origins?
Riiiiiiiight...

Downloading now, so I will see for myself.

Some of the things I'm hearing about M&K are concerning though.

There are feminine eye colors? And violet is one of them!? I haven't seen anyone with violet eyes, male or female! Eye shade color, maybe?

Sidenote: the game is a bit of a beast. I'm getting 35 fps with mixture of High, Medium, and Ultra texfures. I have a 7850 and have decided to upgrade to a 970 gtx which should handle it a bit better.

I've been reading something about the adverse effects of Denuvo, the anti-hack system used in DAI, and how it supposedly stresses the harddisk. Notice anything like that in your playing?

I've been reading something about the adverse effects of Denuvo, the anti-hack system used in DAI, and how it supposedly stresses the harddisk. Notice anything like that in your playing?

It's a beast, and it's been really taxing on my system with fairly lengthy load times (starting the game at least), but honestly I couldn't tell you if that's this Denuvo thing, my HDD, or my graphics card. o_O

It's a beast, and it's been really taxing on my system with fairly lengthy load times (starting the game at least), but honestly I couldn't tell you if that's this Denuvo thing, my HDD, or my graphics card. o_O

Well it's definitely not your graphics card as that has nothing to do with loading.
Hopefully it's because of the DRM and it eventually gets patched out like a lot of DRM does. :)

Yes, it's obviously very early, but the DRM uses some encryption that revolves around making thousands of read-writes per second.

If you have a mechanical HDD this will just slow things down a little, hard to say how much since no DRM-free pirate version to compare with.

If you have an SSD the millions of read-writes reduce its life. From the figures I've seen on a Russian forum it is significant enough to be a concern especially on the lower end TLC's. SSDs have a built in system spreading out the read-writes to reduce time to failure so the stress won't be seen until long after you finish playing.

I'm enjoying it. My main beef is that I'm a PC gamer and I don't use controllers and I'm beyond sick of controller/console influence on game/UI design. It's easily endured for this game because the game is so slick and so insanely packed with excellent content.

I use a normal/simple mouse and rebound several keys - it's all pretty typical MMO/RPG/FPS bindings by default (which means for me they get optimized to suck less).

- movement feels like a console game - it's not precise, character feels drunk/high/uncoordinated or like you're being forced to simulate playing on a controller.

- UI overall is clearly for controllers and consoles and not for PC. As usual kb/m have to suffer thru craptastic UI design and really the ONLY screen they did up for PC is the main screen where they replace the controller diamond for abilities with a hotbar. Outside of that, it's a clickfest of multiple steps to do the most simple of tasks (like weapon mods) that would usually just be a simple drag and drop in one window for PC. I don't need a spreadsheet for every UI window but only being able to see 4-5 inventory items at once when I have a starting cap of 60 is pretty silly (is having options so bad, why no option to toggle this to be less stupid?). You can't even see all your attributes on the character screen at 1920x1080 without scrolling...it's 6 values...c'mon. It really boggles the mind. Even most blatantly screw PC console games on PC do better with some of this stuff.

- Level load times are pretty harsh but it's a graphical and huge game, and I'm sure this is yet another area where consoles hold the game back - I mean, it's pretty impressive that this game even runs on the ancient consoles. I find I'm not loading that often though, as I'd rather keep exploring whatever zone I'm in than and I don't really switch zones that often or go back to main base or even quick travel withing zones that much (yet at least). Gathering nodes respawn and wandering mobs usually do too so travelling explored ground is sometimes rewarding. So, since I'm usually obsessively playing, the loading screens once in a while aren't bad - a forced break.

At least you don't have to load every building, cave, etc. Once you're IN a zone you're set. You can look into buildings, caves, etc, walk right in, see out to the live world from within. It's a much nicer system than say (heavily modded making it worse) skyrim where you have intrusive loading every time you want to enter/leave even a trivial building or mini cave/dungeon. The size of zones and number of little bits like caves and buildings is pretty impressive and it's glorious for it all to be seamless within the zone itself.

- I've had the game lock up and crash exactly once, other than that, no real tech issues running autodetected ultra everything 1920x1080 on PC.

As many reviewers have stated, the game has some imperfections (and IMO, those will vary by player) but they're easily ignored considering the many, many things the game does gloriously well. I'm incredibly impressed and I'm not that far in since I can't stop exploring and getting distracted. I've only done one main quest step so far in 8+ hours of playing and have more exploring planned before moving to the next main step.

The user reviews on metacritic are still brutal. People on PC have serious issues with DAI that Bioware should not released with. At this point it is too late to salvage it long term, DAI will not be remembered 10 years from now as fondly as DAO.

- I've had the game lock up and crash exactly once, other than that, no real tech issues running autodetected ultra everything 1920x1080 on PC.
What GPU are you running?

Back
Top Bottom