My Small Games Com 2017 Impressions

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Hello, everyone,

as usual :D my small, short impressions, since I only use the afternoon ticket these days. I don't dare going there when the mass reigns.

Okay, my impressions, some longer, some shorter, in no order, just as they come to my mind :

- Mario vs. Rabbids ! Yes ! This is THE Mario from the Nintendo franchise , this time teamed up against the (in)famous Ubisoft Rabbids !!! Plus, as I read in the Games Com Magazine, 4 Rabbids on Marios' side, too.

This game is in so far really cool, as it is an TURN-BASED STRATEGY GAME ! Imagine that ! It comes only to consoled, I was told - how sad.
I was able to watch some of the gameplay at a public presentation … It looks really cool to me, and it used the typical environmental things you know from these Mario jumpiung games : Tubes, rocks … Everything in an ISOMETRIC VIEW. The map looks like a giant square filled with obstacles, tubes, ice etc. I was only able to see a bit of that, but it kind of got me. So sad that it is an console thing. It reminds me of how I once asked in a very small "met the developers" presentation of the I think it was HOMM3 remake (it should be in my impressions of the last year or the year before that), whether it was possible to mod the game so that one could have armies of Rabbids there … Maybe this idea was kept ?

- I think it was Kalypso, where I saw an Action-RPG, in which one plays "The Devourer", who feeds on souls, but uses these souls as "puppets" to go through the world in an attempt to "verbösifizieren" the world. This word was used by 2 hosts there at the Kalypso booth, and it means "to make evil", so, to say. The word "böse" means "evil, bad".
However, I don't know much about it. The "puppets" play (and, visually, are) characters, fully clothed, fully armed, one can switch to. The "devourer" and his or her "puppets" "live" in 2 planes at the same time (this reminded me of "Kult : Heretic Kingdoms"), the normal plane, and the "demonic plane" or so I remember.
I dabbled a bit with that game, in which the beginning of the demo consists of geting out of catacombs in which undead monsters live. These catacombs looked to me a bit like a mix between the desert catacombs from Blizzard's D2 and the early catacombs from the beginning of Devibnity : Original Sin 1. I remember that, when hurling fireballs at too close spiders, the character hurt herself, too.
The intro was spoken by a man with an very distinguishable British accent. I could not understand many words, however, because it was very loud at that time there (plus the World Of Tanks booth was not that far away, it is always *very* loud there).

- On a more brighter note, so to say, Tropico 6 now has several islands one could play with. The thought was to have "themed islands", with for example, an island better fitting to tourists, others for mining … the developer told me.
One will also be able to steal iconic buildings, like the Eiffel Tower in Paris, for example., Tis particular building, I was told by the debveloper, can greatly enhance radio stations, because it was in RL originally built as an giant radio station/antenna, too. Other buildings will have other enhancements (I think Taj Mahal was also mentioned). Pirates are there as well. The dev told me that he knew Evil Genius, by the way (I told him about stealing buildings like the Eiffel Tower in this game, too. Ah, yes, and there can be ship traffic between islands, too. And bridges.

- Dungeons 3 has better Heroes now.

- Biomutant looked relatively cartoonish to me. The poster lets the game look like another "Far Cry 1" game, only with Biomutants, then ;) , but the game didn't look detailed to me. I didn't see much about it (I saw gameplay within a kind of bunker like in an post-apocalyptic environment), so I can't say much about it. I like the idea as such, though.

- Deep Silver publishes a few games, among them is "Agents Of Mayhem". Looks interesting, although I found the gameplay without a proper handbook and with console controls (which I'm *absolutely* not used to !) very confusing. This might be - if I like it more - the very first shooter I might buy in about 10 years or so.
It is about some very different good side agents battling an evil organisation called "Legion". They are not directly superheroes, but they do have some special abilities. One agent was described as "My name is Wood. Holly wood." He looks very much like an actor, rather than anything else. Another Agent looks like an terrorist to me. Good that he is on the good side (this is a game, after all). The good side is, however, not shining like gold - rather shiuning like Pyrite, so to say. What I mean to say with this is that the word "mayhem" in the title fits very well on this "good side" , since it is not very sensitive and humble. :D

- I didn't look at Kingdom Come : Deliverance, since the queue was too long.

- "Ark : Survival Evolved" is marketed as an "survival game". The devbeloper I spoke with looked so much like a younger version of Bill Gates, only with black hair and black glasses, that I had to look twice.
More seriously, this game is interesting because one will be able to tame dinosaurs. Yes, Dinosaurs. Other aspects of this "survival game" is crafting, farming, building, foodmaking … Well, I don't know that much about it, still. It can be played as multiplayer and in singleplayer mode as well. I didn't see gameplay of it, but the screenshots from the web page look interesting to me. Plus - Dinosaurs !!! ;) The game reminds me a little bit of Elex …

- Far Cry 5 : The story is, as far cry as I know, that there is a religious sect, and they are difficult people threatening the environment around them. The Games Com magazine says "as a young deputy sherriff you must deal with them."
That's all I know.

- There was a game which had caught m attention, and this was "Forgotton Anne". It's an Adventure game, but I didn't see much about it as I moved on.

- I didn't look at any of the Warhammer games,. They are simply not my taste.

- I remember Battle Chaser for its colourfulness. Reminds me a bit of Diesel Störmers err Rogue Störmers.

- The Games Com magazine telle me that there will be a new Anno game. It is called Anno 1800.

- The same mag tells me that Microsoft has done some kind of "Zoo Tycoon", but now wioth Dinosaurs : "Jurassic Park err World : Evolution".

- The same mag also tells me that the term "honor" is now used not only for games, but also for smartphones as well. Urgh.

- The new Age of Empire game looks to me like the very first one, but I can judge that only from screenshots from that mag. Or did I mix AOE IV with AOE "Definitive Edition" ?

- There is now one "Destiny 2" game.

- There is one "Final Fahtasy Windows Edition" game.

- Zero Dawn got an expansion.

- There are "Lego Marvel Super Heroes 2".

- There is an "Sonic Forces" game by Sega Europe.

- "Mario Odyssey" looks fresh and colourful, and seemingly has now a story, too. I didn't play any of the Mario games yet, so I can't judge.

- Now to the game that took most of my attention : I believe it is the far cutest game this year (there should be an award ! ;) ).
It is called "Yokus Island Epress".
You play there a "new post master" coming to this island for the very first time. His (or her ?) name is Yokus, and he (or she ?) is a an orange-coloured dung-beetle, constantly rolling (and being connected to it via some rope) an almost white ball made of … glass or very light-coloured stone. This new post master is told that there are … problems … on the island. ( "Problems" is the word the English-speaking hosts or devellopers were agreeing upon. Of course I shouldn't get spoiled by revealing the story. ;) ).
The great thing - what fascinated me, at least - is that it is a mix between platform jump & run game and … *drumroll* - pinball game !
Yes ! That's a combination I haven't seen before ! Apparingly the ball of the dung-beetle is the "pinball". ;)
Everything fits in very well, some puzzles are a bit harder to master, though. The "pinball are" is sometimes huge. The whole island is themed like … Hawaii, a bit. The music, the overall feeling … Everything fits very well together.
Since there is a story, there are dialogs, too. I din't go far into the game, but I had HUGE fun ! I spent most of my play time on that. ;)
I had sooooo much fun ! The last time I had so much fun was when playing the newer Giana Sisters game or the last 2D Rayman games ("Origins", "Legends").
Now, this game is definitively on my "buy" list. If I remember correctly, it is scheduled for several platforms, inclusive PC ( I bet it'll be Steam, though ). The publisher is named "Team 17".

Okay, that's it for now.

P.S. : At the beginning of the booth of Sony (Playstation 4), there was a sign.
It said that if one was entering this booth, he or she was by this entering the booth granting all rights to use the images, sound, interview etc. made by Sony and any one of their affiliates forever in any kind of media. This formulation was in the sense of "upon entering our booth you give all rights of your physical appearance tro muse (Sony), to be used forever in every way we can imagine."
Sony is very "grabbing" on that. I remember a similar "EULA" regarding Star Wars Galaxies long ago.
Well, at least it said that if one didn't want that (granting them these rights), one could / had to leave. I left.

Attachments

• Yokus Island Express 2017 Games Com.jpg
    Yokus Island Express 2017 Games Com.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 50
  • Mario vs Rabbid Kingdom Battles Games Com 2017.jpg
    Mario vs Rabbid Kingdom Battles Games Com 2017.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 50
  • Looks Can Kill Agents Of Mayhem Games Com 2017.jpg
    Looks Can Kill Agents Of Mayhem Games Com 2017.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 50
  • Far Cry 5 Games Com 2017.jpg
    Far Cry 5 Games Com 2017.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
I've been keeping an eye on Tropico 6. I'm still not too sure about it. The size of all the islands put together seems about the size of a Tropico 5 island - but obviously with a lot of water. But then, the islands in T5 were large enough that you could leave a ton of green space open. Idunno... guess we'll find out.

I think the name with that RPG featuring one "Devourer" demon was called something with "Shadow", but apart from that I really don't remember its name anymore.

Btw. I bet that Ebay Germany is full of people selling their loot now … ;)

Edit : Ha ! It is even in our database here ! : https://www.rpgwatch.com/games/kalypso-new-rpg-1343.html
It says "tactical RPG", but in these very few minutes I played it it looked rather like an Action-RPG to me …

The impressive thing is that this RPGWatch entry was shown as number 3 in my current favourite search engine called "Duckduckgo" using the words "Kalypso RPG" (the first entry was about "Kalypso Hotel", second was the Kalypso web page itself).

- "Ark : Survival Evolved" is marketed as an "survival game". The devbeloper I spoke with looked so much like a younger version of Bill Gates, only with black hair and black glasses, that I had to look twice.
More seriously, this game is interesting because one will be able to tame dinosaurs. Yes, Dinosaurs. Other aspects of this "survival game" is crafting, farming, building, foodmaking … Well, I don't know that much about it, still. It can be played as multiplayer and in singleplayer mode as well. I didn't see gameplay of it, but the screenshots from the web page look interesting to me. Plus - Dinosaurs !!! ;) The game reminds me a little bit of Elex …

In case you're not aware, this one has been in Early Access for over 2 years. All of the features you mention are already in and playable at this moment.

It's scam'em DLC however was never in early access - it got finished 2 years before the game.

In case you're not aware, this one has been in Early Access for over 2 years. All of the features you mention are already in and playable at this moment.

I had a feeling ... It sounded almost as if everything was already available ... He even said that the game is available now, I think ... No, I wasn't aware of its Early Access. I was away from the Watch for almost all of 2016.

- I think it was Kalypso, where I saw an Action-RPG, in which one plays "The Devourer", who feeds on souls, but uses these souls as "puppets" to go through the world in an attempt to "verbösifizieren" the world. This word was used by 2 hosts there at the Kalypso booth, and it means "to make evil", so, to say. The word "böse" means "evil, bad".
However, I don't know much about it. The "puppets" play (and, visually, are) characters, fully clothed, fully armed, one can switch to. The "devourer" and his or her "puppets" "live" in 2 planes at the same time (this reminded me of "Kult : Heretic Kingdoms"), the normal plane, and the "demonic plane" or so I remember.
I dabbled a bit with that game, in which the beginning of the demo consists of geting out of catacombs in which undead monsters live. These catacombs looked to me a bit like a mix between the desert catacombs from Blizzard's D2 and the early catacombs from the beginning of Devibnity : Original Sin 1. I remember that, when hurling fireballs at too close spiders, the character hurt herself, too.
The intro was spoken by a man with an very distinguishable British accent. I could not understand many words, however, because it was very loud at that time there (plus the World Of Tanks booth was not that far away, it is always *very* loud there).

Update : This game has now been published by Kalypso under the name of "Shadows Awakening".

Back
Top Bottom