X4 Foundations

Zloth

I smell a... wumpus!?

https://youtu.be/XeYbb0hf10U

Massive video that quickly jumps to the announcement trailer then gets into a lot of detail about what's happening in X4.

So Egosoft is taking what they've learned with Rebirth and making a game more like X3 with it. Heavily improved base building. Fly capital ships, even though they steer like cows. Be able to walk around in the ship while it flies (your pilot will quickly take over). Very map-based interface.

Looks like the NPCs look the same as in Rebirth at this point. No Borons at all yet. They're… fish. Kinda hard to have them wander around a space station or for you to go into one of their stations.

Sounds like a VR version is likely but it will be another game. Interface and frame rate demands are so different, they don't want to do the least common denominator thing on them.

Fast transport will be by simple driving (SETA is in again), highways for short range moving, gates for long range, and a new thing: teleporting. Once you research it, you can teleport between any ship you own! Sounds like that replaces the hyper jump, though we'll have to see for sure.

Oh, and better graphics. It's a computer game, after all.

Likely out next year. They don't know about Early Access. Ugh. Egosoft needs Early Access more than any company I know.

So the usual Egosoft stuff I guess: Out in 2018, playable in 2019 :)
Let's hope than they are able to go over their last game which was a huge mess and a terrible deception.

The last game got fairly good after a TON of updating. There's still some really sore points, like that conversation mechanic (though even that would have been good if they had made *far* more conversations), but it was plenty fun.

They've got a real nasty history of releasing games in a pretty terrible state, though. I can't say I'm surprised. They're a tiny little company making huge, complex games that need massive amounts of testing hours. That's why I would really love to see them use the Early Access thing! It's essentially player-paid beta testing! (Kappa testing?)

They're currently doing the EA thing with the VR version of Rebirth. If you're a fan of VR, you should check it out. I'm really not, but this is the first VR game I've truly enjoyed. Rebirth , which I happen to like and think got more flak than it deserved, translates well into VR, and the controls are good.

Oh, it deserved a TON of flak when it came out. The game was a mess. It got a lot better, though, and was pretty fun when I played it. I'm tempted by the VR version but, since I already played the game, I would rather do Elite Dangerous in VR.

I have a couple of issues with the X games which are preventing my enjoyment of them. But I'm always keen to check them out - in the hopes they can change my mind.

Don't Germans have a reputation for making (and playing) boring games?

Shots fired.

It'll likely just bounce of that Panzer armor. They may not even know they took a "hit".

More info

I've been playing Rebirth again (even posted a mod for it) so X is on my mind of late...

I do wonder about this teleporting thing. Are we going to be dropping cheap, little ships all over the galaxy as teleport stations?

Trade in Rebirth has gotten even better yet. I think I would be happy if they just transported that system over wholesale, though it would be nice to designate some zones (or whatever they have in X4) as no-go areas for trade ships.

I've been playing Rebirth again (even posted a mod for it) so X is on my mind of late…

I do wonder about this teleporting thing. Are we going to be dropping cheap, little ships all over the galaxy as teleport stations?

Trade in Rebirth has gotten even better yet. I think I would be happy if they just transported that system over wholesale, though it would be nice to designate some zones (or whatever they have in X4) as no-go areas for trade ships.

How is the exploration in Rebirth? Do the various systems and stations have a lot of unique stuff to find - or is it mostly the same thing with randomly generated characters, or?

All I know is I ain't goin' first!

Interesting and shiny. I like the idea of designing stuff. The recent chatter has actually got me playing a bit of X3TC recently. Will be watching to see how this version develops.

I love how the engines twist around, though they seem to be behind the movement sometimes. That's something future development can fix up.

The station builder looks pretty interesting. X3TC had that by letting you put pipes between the stations but big complexes turned into a massive, frame killing maze of pipes that the AI had no hope of navigating. Rebirth had more sane stations but you could only add a few, pre-determined modules to them before the trade ships had to be used. This seems to combine both, letting you add the modules you want without making a massive ball of spaghetti. (Though I hope they do put *some* sort of limit on it or at least make sure you can't, say, block off a competing station by building your own station all around it.)

That looks pretty cool. :)

I've always liked the visuals in Egosoft's games going all the way back to X: Beyond the Frontier. I could never really get into them though because they're just not my thing. Too much emphasis on economy and base building for me.

Back
Top Bottom