Zloth

I smell a... wumpus!?
I'm not even 10 hours into this game yet but it has been pretty fun so far. There's lots of really good and rewarding exploration in this one. I have wanted to do a little naming like in No Man's Sky but I would probably drown while trying to think up a good name anyway so maybe it's for the best.

The 'survival' part (at least the eating and drinking) can be switched off if you want. I left it on and it seems like the eating/drinking is more about keeping you tethered to your escape pod than anything else. It hasn't been particularly tedious yet. Though I must admit, part of the fun is because I keep singing Cat's song when swimming after fish.

P.S. The real reason I'm posting this is because I've got all I need to make a rebreather unit and go down below 100ft. Which means I need to do it. Go all the way down there. Into the dark abyss. Maybe I should salt away a few more fishies first….

I don't want to burst your bubble, but the lowest depth in the game is under 1700 ft… You have a long way to go. ;)

Also, you can name all the things…once you get things (aka beacons are your friends).

I went into this game knowing very little about it but it ended up becoming one of my favorite games of the year.

I've been wanting to dive (pun intended) into this one for a while now. I just don't have enough time for all the games I want to play.

I've been wanting to dive (pun intended) into this one for a while now. I just don't have enough time for all the games I want to play.
Same here, exactly.
I have a ludicrously long priority queue going back years as it is.

SEVENTEEN HUNDRED?? I'm really glad they didn't model decompression sickness. Or maybe they have... my skin is getting a little itchy...

SEVENTEEN HUNDRED?? I'm really glad they didn't model decompression sickness. Or maybe they have… my skin is getting a little itchy…

No decompression sickness for the player, but vehicles have max depth and gets damaged if you go beyond their limits…

I eventually lost interest (but that happens to 99% of all games for me). I just hate when games comes to kind of a halt in progress and i'm not sure what to do next.. usually this is where i stop and just play something else. If it's really, really good i do research a bit what to do, but in this case it wasn't that involving.

Yeah, this one does hit "well now what" points sometimes.

Right now I just flat out need more bits of stuff to scan. I've got a little bit of everything. The latest radio message pointed me to something it said flat out that I shouldn't try without a sub so I guess the only thing to do is to just randomly look through junk until I find stuff. At least I have a bed now so I can sleep through the night.

Seems all I needed to do was complain a little. Found what I needed to make a little sub. Found what I needed for a beacon. Found what I needed for a laser cutter, too. Saved my game and started back toward base and…. CRASH. My PC crashed hard. (It's been doing that since I let MicroCenter replace my motherboard.)

OK, fine, I just saved a couple of minutes ago, no biggy. I start the game and… uhoh. Damaged saved file? I try loading it up and…

EVERYTHING IS GONE​

I was right back at the very start of the game.

I backed up my save Saturday morning but I just lost a good 10 hours of play at least - assuming I can even get that backup to work.

No steam cloud saves? I'm impressed you bothered to make a backup, but perhaps you know your pc a little bit too well.

Did you check your disk for errors or sector reallocs (if you are using hard disk). Did you do a binary compare of the save and backup save to see if anything obvius changed or save size of latest save to see if it failed to write a file ?

Seems all I needed to do was complain a little. Found what I needed to make a little sub. Found what I needed for a beacon. Found what I needed for a laser cutter, too. Saved my game and started back toward base and…. CRASH. My PC crashed hard. (It's been doing that since I let MicroCenter replace my motherboard.)

OK, fine, I just saved a couple of minutes ago, no biggy. I start the game and… uhoh. Damaged saved file? I try loading it up and…

EVERYTHING IS GONE​

I was right back at the very start of the game.

I backed up my save Saturday morning but I just lost a good 10 hours of play at least - assuming I can even get that backup to work.

@ilm;, dunno if a Steam save would have worked better or not. As near as I can tell, the save wasn't done writing yet when my machine hard locked. Stop writing to the network or stop writing to the SSD - either way its boned. At least on my drive I was able to back it up and <eye roll> only lose 10 hours or so.

@you;, it's on SSD. I did check the files and noticed the little JPG it saves to display in the saves list was corrupted. I replaced that with an older JPG from my backup but it didn't help at all.

Hopefully I'll be able to get everything back fairly quickly. I don't have to do as much of the searching this time. Still, a major hit on the game, IMHO.

I got back what I lost and then some. It doesn't take terribly long to get stuff back if you remember where they were at least somewhat. Still took forever to find the laser cutter parts. And, of course, once I did get one together, suddenly the parts were everywhere!

The game made up for death-by-one-save-corruption by putting the whole soundtrack in the Steam directory. Free music!

That, and now you get double the fun for your money! Positive thinking :)

Completed it. I never had a save corrupt again, though I did use one of my backups after I made my way allllllll the way down to >>I won't even say it in a spoiler tag<< only to find I didn't have the right object to enter.

The only other annoying thing about the game was the mouse interface. Right clicking to move an item from one inventory to another is fine but, if I moved the mouse AT ALL with the click, it turned into a drag. I tried dragging to the other inventory lots of times but could never get whatever was being dragged to drop! With no way to end the drag, I had to tab out of the menu and open it back up again. This happened to me a heck of a lot.

The rest was really good stuff! The lack of guides led me to do the game in a pretty odd order but everything still worked out in the end.

Back
Top Bottom