Platformers.

Oriz0r

Watcher
I have never been a -huge- fan of platformers, but there were several that I really enjoyed; Prince of Persia, Blackthorne, The Lost Vikings, the somewhat recent Gish, , and others.

Two other platformers which are of special interest to me would be Zeliard, and Viking Child. In both of these games you could -buy- things (Be they weapons, shields, or just misc. "stuff" that helps you out), and that feature holds a great value with me.

I'm pretty sure there aren't a lot of other platformers where you can buy stuff, and that's a damn shame, but if you know of any, I would love to hear their titles.

Hm, while I generally like jump'n'run games/platformers, I don't think I played a single platformer where I could buy things. But perhaps that's because I stopped buying the genre after I mothballed my SNES. So I'm afraid I can't help you in this special regard.

If you liked Lost Vikings, you might also like Animaniacs for the SEGA Genesis (I'm not sure if the game was different for different platforms... used to be a trend back then) which had a similar setup of three characters with different abilities each.

My personal favorites in the genre are
  • Super Turrican 1 (lots of shooting, but enough platforms to qualify :) )
  • Skyblazer
  • Mr. Nutz
  • Zool 1
  • Hocus Pocus
  • Clyde's Revenge
  • Cosmo
  • Duke Nukem 2
  • Commander Keen (all of them)
  • Pandemonium 1

You know about that Prince of Persia remake for 360, right? Looks like fun. I liked platformers a lot, Blackthorne, Ghosts n Goblins, the Super Mario games, Prince of Persia, played the death outta em.

I dont really know of any with a merchant tho that I could suggest, sorry!

Gods was nasty hard. Had that on my Amiga. Turrican was a great platform shooter.

Gods was nasty hard. Had that on my Amiga. Turrican was a great platform shooter.

Hard? At least I managed to beat it - which is more than I can say about another Bitmap Brothers game "Cadaver"
http://www.bitmap-brothers.co.uk/our-games/past/cadaver.htm

Damn, I remember really liking how that game played.. but I just couldn't get very far in it. Huge levels and the puzzles were really hard. I just saw they posted a walkthrough for it at the link above - seems I didn't even get halfway through level one :) Now I almost feel like picking it up again :)

I had Cadaver also and most of the bitmap brother games. Xenon 2 must have been their easiest game; Xenon was close to impossible though.

Hard to think of platformers with shops - Gods is the only one that comes to mind.

I heard Castlevania: Symphony of the Night has rpg elements but I've never played it.

Hah, Gods. I forgot to include that one. Yes, that definitely qualifies, and it has an undeniable charm to it, but I'm with Woges on that one...definitely too difficult.

Stumbled across an old title that might suit me just fine...Wonder Boy In Monsterland, hah. Probably too kid-ish for me to really enjoy though.

I guess this thread's got to a sad conclusion though: There are only a handful of this type of platformers. If you didn't try out Zeliard, or never even heard of it, I highly recommend trying it out by DOSBoxing it, you can find it here - http://www.the-underdogs.info/game.php?id=1306
(I don't agree with the article calling it an RPG, but it has some elements that most RPGs do have)

Same goes for Viking Child: http://www.the-underdogs.info/game.php?id=1822

Back
Top Bottom