|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » JRPG » Persona 5

Default Persona 5

September 30th, 2017, 04:52
I would like to get back into JRPGs again, because I have fond memories. But I think they are made for teens, and I don't think I could suffer through the combat again.

posfan12

Watchdog

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

September 30th, 2017, 12:57
Originally Posted by posfan12 View Post
I would like to get back into JRPGs again, because I have fond memories. But I think they are made for teens, and I don't think I could suffer through the combat again.
I love JRPGs and I'm 48 years old, guess I'm a teen at heart. And … 'suffer through the combat again'??? I am suffering through the combat in a lot of games nowadays where I have to press 'X' at the right time or remember that X X B A A is a summersault jumping kick.

wolfing

Dalek SasqWatch

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
+1:

September 30th, 2017, 16:45
I cannot stand the kind of combat that requires you to hit specific buttons at varying intervals, but the old, classic eastern-style games I simply cannot get enough of. I'm really happy to see how many have recently made the transition to home computers, and I hope that continues.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
+1:

October 1st, 2017, 00:19
Gotta agree with @posfan12 on the target age. I can still enjoy the JRPGs but it tends to be despite the targeted age of the game.
--
The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views….
-- Doctor Who in "Face of Evil"

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)

October 1st, 2017, 17:15
I can forgive the childish looks of any game IF the combat is difficult and challenging. Games like Final Fantasy( at least the early ones) and the Disgae series come to mind in this regard, as well as many others.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)

October 1st, 2017, 17:48
Originally Posted by wolfing View Post
I am suffering through the combat in a lot of games nowadays where I have to press 'X' at the right time or remember that X X B A A is a summersault jumping kick.
What games are these? The only recent Action RPG I've played on a gamepad is Witcher 2.

posfan12

Watchdog

October 2nd, 2017, 05:58
What games are these? The only recent Action RPG I've played on a gamepad is Witcher 2.
Most non-turn based JRPGs are button smashers or games where you have to press a button at the right time. In PC a similar problem happens with 'dodge/roller' RPGs, where all you do is either roll roll roll swing or block/swing/block/swing. I prefer a proper turn based RPG with lots of options and multi-characters.

wolfing

Dalek SasqWatch

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

October 12th, 2017, 20:27
Witcher 2 is the only "roller" RPG I've played, and it was an okay game. Usually I prefer turn based tactical combat, but Witcher 2 was not bad. Gothic 1 & 2 combat is also serviceable. (Can't remember if you roll in those games though.)

posfan12

Watchdog

October 13th, 2017, 03:20
Witcher 2 is no roller, lad, THIS is a roller!
--
The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views….
-- Doctor Who in "Face of Evil"

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)

October 13th, 2017, 12:21
Try a JRPG like valkyrie profile, not all of them are made for teens, actually far from it.

GothicGothicness

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » Games » JRPG » Persona 5