|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General Non-RPG » Valve's - Steam Spy Replacement

Default Valve's - Steam Spy Replacement

June 30th, 2018, 09:09
Valve might soon be releasing their own version of Steam Spy.

Link - https://www.engadget.com/2018/06/29/…nt-game-stats/
It looks as though Valve has something up its sleeve to replace Steam Spy. According to PC Games N, Jan-Peter Ewert, the head of business development at Valve, was asked about Steam Spy at a game industry conference. Ewert responded that developers needed "something better than Steam Spy," and that Valve was working on it.
“Our general approach has always been to provide open APIs so that when we don’t offer the amount of tools that we should, the community can step in. We are very much working on new tools and new ways of getting data out of Steam, and we hope that data can be more accurate and more useful than what Steam Spy previously offered you.”
--
"Haga Berka Gopa Unama Innrev " - Trump Minion #1

Translation: "Make America great again Donald"
Couchpotato is offline

Couchpotato

Couchpotato's Avatar
Trump Minion #1

#1

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: TrumpLand
Posts: 16,937
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

Default 

June 30th, 2018, 15:01
What is Steam Spy ?

Edit : It's in the article …
--
“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)
Alrik Fassbauer is offline

Alrik Fassbauer

Alrik Fassbauer's Avatar
TL;DR
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

#2

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Old Europe
Posts: 17,835
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

Default 

June 30th, 2018, 17:34
I find it amusing that people might actually care what others are playing. Honestly, it sounds more like a hoax of some sort, who honestly would care that much? If some pinhead wants to observe me playing Shining Force or some other delight of mine, just que up, mate.
Carnifex is offline

Carnifex

SasqWatch

#3

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, CA
Posts: 6,581
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)

Default 

June 30th, 2018, 18:37
Well sales figures are nice for curiosity… Anyway people want it so thank value for doing it (unless they turn it into a paid product then curse them )
you is offline

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

#4

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: usa - boston
Posts: 4,687
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)

Default 

June 30th, 2018, 21:47
Originally Posted by Carnifex View Post
I find it amusing that people might actually care what others are playing. Honestly, it sounds more like a hoax of some sort, who honestly would care that much? If some pinhead wants to observe me playing Shining Force or some other delight of mine, just que up, mate.
Good points but SteamSpy was mostly used to see how many copies a game sold. It was also the only public source to find such information unless publishers released the data.
--
"Haga Berka Gopa Unama Innrev " - Trump Minion #1

Translation: "Make America great again Donald"
Couchpotato is offline

Couchpotato

Couchpotato's Avatar
Trump Minion #1

#5

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: TrumpLand
Posts: 16,937
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

July 1st, 2018, 03:41
Yep, though it also wasn't always terribly accurate. Free weekends would really mess with the numbers bad, for instance.
--
The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views….
-- Doctor Who in "Face of Evil"
Zloth is offline

Zloth

Zloth's Avatar
I smell a… wumpus!?

#6

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 5,475
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)

Default 

July 1st, 2018, 04:33
Steam Spy just fostered bad journalism, if you ask me. Instead of getting in contact with developers and asking them how many copies they sold, so called journalists relied on data collected by some guy from Russia. And how many copies some game sold is a meaningless statistic to end users. Besides satisfying a curiosity, that is.
Ivanwah is offline

Ivanwah

Sentinel

#7

Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 287
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Default 

July 1st, 2018, 05:08
Originally Posted by Ivanwah View Post
Steam Spy just fostered bad journalism, if you ask me. Instead of getting in contact with developers and asking them how many copies they sold, so called journalists relied on data collected by some guy from Russia. And how many copies some game sold is a meaningless statistic to end users. Besides satisfying a curiosity, that is.
You are wrong. Just read articles about how a lof of publishers funded games that were hesitant before because of the data shown by steam spy.

steam spy is a tool terribly useful to developers and marketing.
CRD is offline

CRD

CRD's Avatar
Watcher

#8

Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 77
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

July 1st, 2018, 13:01
Originally Posted by Carnifex View Post
I find it amusing that people might actually care what others are playing.
I rather believe it's not "people" but rather "business people".

Originally Posted by CRD View Post
You are wrong. Just read articles about how a lof of publishers funded games that were hesitant before because of the data shown by steam spy.

steam spy is a tool terribly useful to developers and marketing.
Yes, but Valve originally refused to publish adventure games BECAUSE of what their data was showing. Remember how hard it was for Daedalic to get a foot into steam ? They actually needed the help of another publisher to do so !
--
“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)
Alrik Fassbauer is offline

Alrik Fassbauer

Alrik Fassbauer's Avatar
TL;DR
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

#9

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Old Europe
Posts: 17,835
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

Default 

July 1st, 2018, 13:25
Originally Posted by CRD View Post
You are wrong. Just read articles about how a lof of publishers funded games that were hesitant before because of the data shown by steam spy.

steam spy is a tool terribly useful to developers and marketing.
That sounds even more terrible. It shows that publishers are only looking at numbers and what sells and not games themselves. They tend to play it safe and that's how we get lootbox grindfest no. 23241.
Ivanwah is offline

Ivanwah

Sentinel

#10

Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 287
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Default 

July 1st, 2018, 21:35
The numbers can be important for players, too, if the players want to get involved in multiplayer aspects. Even if a game is great, it won't matter to them if there's nobody to play it with.

It can be handy in our sorts of discussions, too. NieR:Automata just got a DLC and no updates for its many issues. Meanwhile, Square keeps updating Chrono Trigger. Why?? Well, maybe CT actually sold a whole lot more than I would have guessed… but I can't tell because there's no Steam Spy.
Originally Posted by Ivanwah View Post
That sounds even more terrible. It shows that publishers are only looking at numbers and what sells and not games themselves.
Uhhh, you do know that publishers are mostly in it for the money, right? They've all got .COM instead of .ORG at the end of their web addresses for a reason.
--
The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views….
-- Doctor Who in "Face of Evil"
Zloth is offline

Zloth

Zloth's Avatar
I smell a… wumpus!?

#11

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 5,475
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)

Default 

July 1st, 2018, 21:55
Originally Posted by Zloth View Post
Uhhh, you do know that publishers are mostly in it for the money, right? They've all got .COM instead of .ORG at the end of their web addresses for a reason.
Obviously I know that. Doesn't mean I have to like it.
Ivanwah is offline

Ivanwah

Sentinel

#12

Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 287
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General Non-RPG » Valve's - Steam Spy Replacement
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 14:40.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright by RPGWatch