Mass Effect: Legendary Edition - Review - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Mass Effect: Legendary Edition - Review

Default Mass Effect: Legendary Edition - Review

July 19th, 2021, 18:23
NeverKnowsBest reviewed the Mass Effect Trilogy:

A Review of the Mass Effect Trilogy in 2021

loading…


  • 0:00 Introduction
  • 5:35 The Original Playthrough
  • 18:56 The Second Playthrough - Mass Effect 1
  • 57:31 The Second Playthrough - Mass Effect 2
  • 1:26:18 The Second Playthrough - Mass Effect 3
  • 2:01:22 Conclusion
  • 2:07:21 The Third Playthrough
  • 2:45:05 The Second Conclusion
Thanks Redglyph!



More information.
HiddenX is offline

HiddenX

HiddenX's Avatar
The Elder Spy
RPGWatch Team
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

#1

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: NRW/Germany
Posts: 14,258
Mentioned: 105 Post(s)

Default 

July 19th, 2021, 20:46
3 hours of 'personal journey' summed up into this: He doesn't like hero stories.

Fair enough. But 3 hours?
ChaosTheory is offline

ChaosTheory

ChaosTheory's Avatar
Virtual Reality Hero

#2

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: San Juan Islands, WA
Posts: 1,468
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

July 19th, 2021, 21:19
A three hour bore, a three hour…..bore???

Apologies, I simply couldn't resist!!~
Carnifex is offline

Carnifex

SasqWatch

#3

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Holly Hill, FL.
Posts: 13,317
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

July 19th, 2021, 21:22
Originally Posted by ChaosTheory View Post
3 hours of 'personal journey' summed up into this: He doesn't like hero stories.

Fair enough. But 3 hours?
I found it more odd that that he's played through it three times. I mean, why sink that much time into a series you're obviously not real high on?

I only skimmed through most of it, but I watched the parts labeled Conclusion and The Second Conclusion. He sounds like he convinced himself that he was missing something and needed to play it again. It must be nice to have that much free time to waste.

Also, he's an incredibly boring reviewer.
JDR13 is offline

JDR13

JDR13's Avatar
SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

#4

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida, US
Posts: 30,781
Mentioned: 111 Post(s)

Default 

July 19th, 2021, 21:43
I usually enjoy his videos, and the beginning was fine. But I admit I almost fell asleep trying to watch further Sorry for the bad one.

He made it because there was a high demand from his subscribers more than by personal choice, the motivation must have been hard to find.

On the positive side, he convinced me I didn't really want to buy the Legendary Edition. I didn't like the idea of installing Origin anyway.
Redglyph is online now

Redglyph

Redglyph's Avatar
SasqWatch
RPGWatch Team

#5

Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Good old Europe
Posts: 2,337
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

July 19th, 2021, 22:10
I enjoyed the first Mass Effect a little bit and got more bored with 2 and 3. They are dumbed down shooters with dumbed down RPG elements with a mediocre story. I never got the hype. I even suggested Felipe Pepe not to cover them in the CRPG book
HiddenX is offline

HiddenX

HiddenX's Avatar
The Elder Spy
RPGWatch Team
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

#6

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: NRW/Germany
Posts: 14,258
Mentioned: 105 Post(s)

Default 

July 19th, 2021, 22:15
Originally Posted by Redglyph View Post
I usually enjoy his videos, and the beginning was fine. But I admit I almost fell asleep trying to watch further Sorry for the bad one.
I don't think he's a bad reviewer, it's just boring in the way he drones on in that monotone voice. He needs to work on his delivery.

Originally Posted by Redglyph View Post
On the positive side, he convinced me I didn't really want to buy the Legendary Edition. I didn't like the idea of installing Origin anyway.
Haven't you had Origin in the past though? It was needed for ME 3.

It's really just a minor annoyance tbh, though I really dislike that the Steam versions of EA's games still require it.
JDR13 is offline

JDR13

JDR13's Avatar
SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

#7

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida, US
Posts: 30,781
Mentioned: 111 Post(s)

Default 

July 20th, 2021, 03:21
Nod, right there with ya HiddenX, save that three was the game that did me in. I still mean to replay the first two at some point, as I did enjoy each of those, to a certain extent. As long as I don't have to install Origin! /shiver.
Carnifex is offline

Carnifex

SasqWatch

#8

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Holly Hill, FL.
Posts: 13,317
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)

Default 

July 20th, 2021, 03:50
I still want to play through it so I can finally see all the DLC but there's so many other games I haven't seen yet!
--
The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views….
-- Doctor Who in "Face of Evil"
Zloth is offline

Zloth

Zloth's Avatar
I smell a… wumpus!?

#9

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 7,451
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)

Default 

July 20th, 2021, 04:39
Mass Effect has been overrated since its first installment's release. But like most things that are highly celebrated, it eventually became underrated in some circles as the backlash parade began (Andromeda being the most egregious casualty, but not the only one.)

I remain unconvinced that there's a point to buying this legendary edition since I have all the individual games and DLC but I check my pulse reguarly to see if I have a jones to play through the games again. I've played through all three, but none of the DLC for games 2 or 3.
JFarrell71 is offline

JFarrell71

SasqWatch

#10

Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 2,259
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)

Default 

July 20th, 2021, 08:32
Originally Posted by JFarrell71 View Post
I remain unconvinced that there's a point to buying this legendary edition since I have all the individual games and DLC but I check my pulse reguarly to see if I have a jones to play through the games again. I've played through all three, but none of the DLC for games 2 or 3.
The DLC is some of the best content imo, though it's not likely to change one's overall opinion of the series. You also probably didn't have at least two companions that were locked behind paid DLC.
JDR13 is offline

JDR13

JDR13's Avatar
SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

#11

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida, US
Posts: 30,781
Mentioned: 111 Post(s)

Default 

July 20th, 2021, 09:36
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
I don't think he's a bad reviewer, it's just boring in the way he drones on in that monotone voice. He needs to work on his delivery.

Haven't you had Origin in the past though? It was needed for ME 3.

It's really just a minor annoyance tbh, though I really dislike that the Steam versions of EA's games still require it.
Those are very long reviews, he should definitely try harder to make them alive. There are little jokes but as you say, it's the same tone all along. It's also very synthetic, high-level. In a sense, it's his strong suit, but I wish there were a few breaks with down-to-Earth elements for the sake of variety.

I had Origin on an old computer for games like Dragon: Origins, never played ME 3. I'm half-joking, if I wanted the game I'd install it. But it's yet another launch platform, with a tiny portion of useful features and 90% bloatware.
Redglyph is online now

Redglyph

Redglyph's Avatar
SasqWatch
RPGWatch Team

#12

Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Good old Europe
Posts: 2,337
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)

Default 

July 20th, 2021, 09:39
Back then I played ME and the beginning of ME 2, then stopped. And now, despite the story, the fact it's remastered and some sci-fi craving, I realized I wouldn't like ME anymore, especially since they removed most RPG elements or made them trivial with ME 2 and ME 3.

(or was the story bad? It left me with a good impression)

NeverKnowsBest is right with the "wheel" feature. They even patented it, if you can believe that (but there are all sorts of patents out there). I felt cheated several times when the dialogue didn't match the wheel choice, and it's too dumbed-down, I want more choices. But they wanted to make it simple, spare the player the pain to read too much, and keep the screen clean and appealing. Too streamlined.
Redglyph is online now

Redglyph

Redglyph's Avatar
SasqWatch
RPGWatch Team

#13

Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Good old Europe
Posts: 2,337
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)

Default 

July 20th, 2021, 14:17
The DLC was essential in order for me to continue my romance with my blue girlfriend.
--
"I cannot define the real problem, therefore I suspect there's no real problem, but I'm not sure there's no real problem."
Richard Feynman
Ripper is offline

Ripper

Ripper's Avatar
Ngikufisela iwela
Super Moderator

#14

Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 10,731
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)

Default 

July 20th, 2021, 18:35
I find it interesting when people play through games again. I understand why… great game and you want to experience it again. However, I've almost never done this in the last 8 or 10 years primarily because I've always got a queue of new games I want to try - and I'd rather try something new than play something I've already tried. Clearly though, lots of people are willing to pay for this remaster in order to play (what looks like to me) essentially the same games.
SSIGuy is offline

SSIGuy

SSIGuy's Avatar
An Islander Returned

#15

Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: A Misty Island
Posts: 892
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

Default 

July 20th, 2021, 20:29
Originally Posted by SSIGuy View Post
I find it interesting when people play through games again. I understand why… great game and you want to experience it again. However, I've almost never done this in the last 8 or 10 years primarily because I've always got a queue of new games I want to try - and I'd rather try something new than play something I've already tried. Clearly though, lots of people are willing to pay for this remaster in order to play (what looks like to me) essentially the same games.
I'm the same way. I do tend to replay my favorite shooters sometimes since they're so much shorter, but it's rare for me to replay an RPG. Even favorites like Elex and TW3 I've only played once. I have too many other games I want to play. I always exhaust the content in a completionist style, so that's probably a factor as well.

I find it especially interesting when people talk about spending 1000+ hours in one game. While I think it's great that they're getting that much enjoyment from it, I always wonder how they can spend that much time in one setting. Plus they're obviously not experiencing a lot of other games.
JDR13 is offline

JDR13

JDR13's Avatar
SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

#16

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida, US
Posts: 30,781
Mentioned: 111 Post(s)

Default 

July 20th, 2021, 22:10
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
I'm the same way. I do tend to replay my favorite shooters sometimes since they're so much shorter, but it's rare for me to replay an RPG. Even favorites like Elex and TW3 I've only played once. I have too many other games I want to play. I always exhaust the content in a completionist style, so that's probably a factor as well.

I find it especially interesting when people talk about spending 1000+ hours in one game. While I think it's great that they're getting that much enjoyment from it, I always wonder how they can spend that much time in one setting. Plus they're obviously not experiencing a lot of other games.
Yeah, I can see it making more sense for shorter games. I often will watch a movie I like again - but that's just a couple hours vs 100 to play Witcher 3 again.
SSIGuy is offline

SSIGuy

SSIGuy's Avatar
An Islander Returned

#17

Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: A Misty Island
Posts: 892
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

Default 

July 20th, 2021, 23:23
Spending hundreds of hours on the same game has a lot of variables. It would depend on the person, their personality, what they look for, amount of free time, how much they like the game, and how replayable it is for them.

For me I am not a gamer. I don't love games or gaming. I love very specific kinds of games and I only like gaming to that extend.

it's like people who know me go oh your are a big dog lover. Actually no, I am not. I love my dogs, not everyone else's. I like a lot of dogs but even there tends to be certain breeds.

When it comes to games I mainly play to escape. I like to make my own characters, I like certain genres and styles, etc.

So I am not missing out on a lot of games because I have no interest in them. I don't have a backlog of games as the number of games I tend to be able to sink into are pretty limited.

I would say most games I play only once. Then a small percentage that I will play between 2-5 times depending on length, my time, the type of variety in the game, and how much I want to continue playing in that game world.

Then there is the very small number that offer so much freedom and options, for what I like, that I can put huge hours into them.

Looking in steam Skyrim and FO4 have the most hours clocked. They are also games that I have created ENB and ReShade presets for which require extensive time in-game testing and creating. I have also made mods for both games that also take time.

For both those games I have done hundreds of stories and image posts on - with a single story sometimes taking up to 40 hours of time creating the images which is all done in the game. They also both have a large community which adds another dimension. Then, of course, mods, which with ENB and ReShade vastly add to the variety and diversity of the game experience.

They both also really fit my own personal desires of what a great game is even if the rest of the haters here disagree.

Below those two the next highest is Pathfinder: Kingmaker which I have 375 hours in, less than a 10th of what I have in Skyrim and FO4 but still a lot for a game I don't mod and have played 3 times through along with many hours spent just trying out builds.

I love the options in the game and the game play itself.

In WOTR I have 177 hours played, 132 in BG3, 122 in C2077, and 131 in POE1 which I played 3 times.

All the other games are closer to the 30-60 range and are one time play throughs for the most part.

I suspect for each person it comes down to enjoyment and fun We invest our time in what we enjoy.
--
Character is centrality, the impossibility of being displaced or overset. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
wolfgrimdark is offline

wolfgrimdark

wolfgrimdark's Avatar
SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

#18

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: NH
Posts: 3,105
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Mass Effect: Legendary Edition - Review
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 09:15.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by DragonByte Security (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright by RPGWatch