|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » What is your personal definition of a CRPG?

Default What is your personal definition of a CRPG?

September 10th, 2018, 23:09
Originally Posted by Darth Tagnan View Post
A game in which you portray a living being and in which you can affect one or more actions taken by that living being.

That would put any game on the spectrum, in any case.
Yeah, that pretty much means most games ever made, it would be harder to find games not fitting that description. Pong? (Although you argue the "racket" is indeed a living being or at least controlled by one…)

"A role-playing game is a game where you play a role". Umm, well yes, that's actually true I suppose.
TomRon is offline

TomRon

TomRon's Avatar
SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

#21

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Sweden
Posts: 2,544
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)

Default 

September 11th, 2018, 00:23
I suspect he phrased it badly - not to be legal whatever but what he said was quite confusing as well as overly broad. Then again maybe in his vision nearly all games are crpgs; who knows.


Originally Posted by TomRon View Post
Yeah, that pretty much means most games ever made, it would be harder to find games not fitting that description. Pong? (Although you argue the "racket" is indeed a living being or at least controlled by one…)

"A role-playing game is a game where you play a role". Umm, well yes, that's actually true I suppose.
you is online now

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

#22

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: usa - boston
Posts: 5,821
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)

Default 

September 11th, 2018, 09:32
Originally Posted by TomRon View Post
Yeah, that pretty much means most games ever made, it would be harder to find games not fitting that description. Pong? (Although you argue the "racket" is indeed a living being or at least controlled by one…)

"A role-playing game is a game where you play a role". Umm, well yes, that's actually true I suppose.
Exactly, and that's how I view where the spectrum begins. Pong is questionable (I believe it's an abstraction of Tennis - so maybe you're actually portraying a Tennis player), but games like Tetris and Solitaire are examples of abstract games that I wouldn't include - because I don't interpret any role as a living being.

But there's a difference between being on the spectrum and being full of RPG elements.

Then again, I don't fret about genres in general. I don't equate CRPG with "good game" - like I suppose most of the Watch would tend to do.

I do absolutely adore almost ALL traditional RPG features - but I don't consider any one of them a requisite to qualify for being on the spectrum.
Darth Tagnan is online now

Darth Tagnan

Darth Tagnan's Avatar
SasqWatch

#23

Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 1,841
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)

Default 

September 11th, 2018, 15:02
First no one said that crpg are 'good games' 'cept you. Second why did you even ask the question what makes a crpg since you seem to consider all games crpg per above ?

Originally Posted by Darth Tagnan View Post
Exactly, and that's how I view where the spectrum begins. Pong is questionable (I believe it's an abstraction of Tennis - so maybe you're actually portraying a Tennis player), but games like Tetris and Solitaire are examples of abstract games that I wouldn't include - because I don't interpret any role as a living being.

But there's a difference between being on the spectrum and being full of RPG elements.

Then again, I don't fret about genres in general. I don't equate CRPG with "good game" - like I suppose most of the Watch would tend to do.

I do absolutely adore almost ALL traditional RPG features - but I don't consider any one of them a requisite to qualify for being on the spectrum.
you is online now

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

#24

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: usa - boston
Posts: 5,821
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)

Default 

September 11th, 2018, 16:43
Originally Posted by you View Post
First no one said that crpg are 'good games' 'cept you. Second why did you even ask the question what makes a crpg since you seem to consider all games crpg per above ?
In Darts defense, why not? Just because his definition is extremely broad doesn't mean it can't be interesting to read others? I for one found this a pretty interesting topic, since although we have much in common with each other very few of us define CRPG the same way.

In no way does the term CRPG automatically mean a "good game" however, at least not to me. To me it's probably more the opposite, I have a harder time enjoying CRPG's for what's good in them if they go wrong on pet peeves. The same isn't true of other genres.
TomRon is offline

TomRon

TomRon's Avatar
SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

#25

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Sweden
Posts: 2,544
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)

Default 

September 11th, 2018, 17:05
Originally Posted by TomRon View Post
In no way does the term CRPG automatically mean a "good game" however, at least not to me. To me it's probably more the opposite, I have a harder time enjoying CRPG's for what's good in them if they go wrong on pet peeves. The same isn't true of other genres.
That's fair enough.

It was only a guess of mine, since a lot of people seem very focused on the genre - and almost seem upset when some game they don't personally consider to be an RPG - is called one by others.

But this thread was about me wanting to know what people think of the genre and its definition.

I didn't intend for it to devolve into yet another debate about this - which is why I hesitated to add my own definition

I do want to point out that I'm talking about being on a spectrum.

Say a spectrum like this:

Not RPG <---------------------------------------------> RPG

Something like Pong (if we pretend you're portraying a Tennis player) - would probably be:

Not RPG <PONG---------------------------------------> RPG

As in, only in the most basic and limited sense would I concede it's arguably an RPG.

I know how some people struggle when things aren't black and white, so I thought I'd better clarify.
Darth Tagnan is online now

Darth Tagnan

Darth Tagnan's Avatar
SasqWatch

#26

Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 1,841
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)

Default 

September 11th, 2018, 18:07
Now it makes sense you enjoy imitating a ping pong ball. Thanks for the clarification.

Originally Posted by Darth Tagnan View Post
That's fair enough.


Something like Pong

As in, only in the most basic and limited sense would I concede it's arguably an RPG.

I know how some people struggle when things aren't black and white, so I thought I'd better clarify.
you is online now

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

#27

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: usa - boston
Posts: 5,821
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » What is your personal definition of a CRPG?
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 20:37.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright by RPGWatch