BioWare - BioDocs Made Games the Good Way @ Venture Beat

aries100

SasqWatch
In an editorial about the BioDocs leaving the industry, Venture Beat's Dean Takehashi shares his thoughts about the BioDocs and how "they build games the nice way." Here's a quote about a personal experience with the Ray and Greg, the doctors at Bioware, after Dean reviewed the first Mass Effect game.
But the reaction from the doctors was kind. When I talked to them about it, they said that my review had taught them something. I’m sure they weren’t happy with what I wrote, but they didn’t say that. They said they appreciated the second piece and instructed their team to draw lessons from my gaming experience. They made it easier to learn the proper way to play in Mass Effect 2 and said that I had influenced how they designed the sequel. A lot of other people had no patience for me — loudmouth that I had been. But the doctors didn’t drop the hammer on me, and I appreciated that. After all, they seemed to recognize that journalists are people, too. And my experience was probably similar to a lot of other gamers’ out there.
More information.

Sorry Crilloan I just wanted to make sure your gun was maintained and loaded properly. Now make us all proud :)

Last edited:
When Mass Effect debuted, I reviewed it for the San Jose Mercury News. After about eight hours with the sci-fi shooter, I gave up and wrote about how the three-way team play just didn’t work for me. My companions were just worthless, and I played it pretty much as a shooting game. Lots of readers piled in and explained that I was an idiot. I had played the game wrong, failing to realize that you could freeze the action and assign tasks to the companions that could easily change the outcome of combat. After they pointed that out, I went back to the game, completed it, and gave it a much better rating. I still argued that the game made it a little too easy for me to go down the wrong path. I was pilloried in the process on the Internet, and it was a humbling experience for a seasoned reviewer.

Sorry, but they were absolutely correct, you are an idiot. 8 hours into the game and you hadn't figured out how to control your companions yet? Was it your first time playing a video game?

Sorry, but they were absolutely correct, you are an idiot. 8 hours into the game and you hadn't figured out how to control your companions yet? Was it your first time playing a video game?

In ME, the companions are worthless. Consequence of the progression system which forces a low effectiveness start.

They are all supposed seasoned soldiers but can not get a shot in.

The guy plays it as the game expresses: wasting no time in ordering assets that have no to little effectiveness.

A PR stunt that might have costed very little to make.

Cant access the original review but this reviewer probably exposed two design flaws in ME: pausing the game to issue orders to companions, which breaks the flow of action and companions who are victims of the progression system as an RPG element syndrom.

The combination of both makes the play awkward.

Bioware had probably spotted the issue earlier but went short of time to implement at least the possibility of giving orders without pausing the game as ME ran into developpment troubles.

Telling to this guy his comments and reviews were instrumental in spotting a problem that was probably already spotted is a cheap way to get on his good side, with the benefit of putting a target on his back as he now takes some sort of responsibility for the way the ME series evolved from episode 1 to episode 2.

Eh... what are you babbling about?

It's got nothing to do with how worthwhile you perceive the companions to be. The point is that this guy played Mass Effect for 8 hours without figuring out the command menu.

He had no reason to figure out how the command menu connects to the companions as the companions are worthless.

Since he originally gave up on the game but later completed it and awarded a higher score after discovering his mistake, the actual reviewer we are talking about disagrees with you himself!

He had no reason to figure out how the command menu connects to the companions as the companions are worthless.

I'm not sure what game you were playing then, since I used my companions quite a bit. I'm not even sure you can run through the game without doing that.

Back
Top Bottom