|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General RPG » The real issue with Pathfinder: Kingmaker

Default The real issue with Pathfinder: Kingmaker

September 27th, 2018, 11:49
The real issue with Pathfinder: Kingmaker is that it's inferior to the tabletop version in every respect. Something I've already heard echoed from Pathfinder fans online.

Why play the subpar videogame adaption when you can have more fun with the real deal? This is the questions fans of the P&P game are asking themselves.

At least with Baldurs Gate you get an original adventure. What do you get from this game that you couldn't get from the tabletop version? Nothing except for mediocrity.

I think the best thing Owlcats could do is what Neverwinter Nights did. Add in modding tools and cooperative play so people can make their own adventures and play them with friends. This would actually make it worth playing for Pathfinder fans.
Copper Coin is offline

Copper Coin

Copper Coin's Avatar
Outspoken D&D critic

#1

Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 866
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

Default 

September 27th, 2018, 12:03
Go away troll, the PoE bridge is over there

I never played the PnP version or I never had anything to do with Pathfinder before this but I installed the game last night at 10pm and when I checked time again it was 2am! This has not happened to me in very long time. And yes I love DnD or systems which are similar to it. I must have spent good hour just on the character creation and it was to be my "trial" character. It once again reminded me how good a system DnD is, so much depth yet so approachable. Its miles ahead of the crap that was PoE1.

Even if the campaign turned out out be bland as Neverwinter Nights, I think exploring DnD will save the day like it did for me in NWN1.
lostforever is online now

lostforever

lostforever's Avatar
SasqWatch

#2

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 4,059
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)

Default 

September 27th, 2018, 12:04
Again, whatever is in your head isn't the fact @Silver Coin
--
Favourite RPGs: Baldur's Gate II, NWN: The Aielund Saga, Pathfinder: Kingmaker, Icewind Dale I, Stardew Valley
purpleblob is offline

purpleblob

purpleblob's Avatar
Princess

#3

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Sydney
Posts: 2,688
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)

Default 

September 27th, 2018, 12:14
It's true though, and I'm not the only one saying it.

Rather than calling me a troll, tell me what's the point of playing this rather than playing the tabletop version which is superior in virtually every way? What do you gain from it?

I want real answers, and not just the whining of fanboys that can't take criticism.
Copper Coin is offline

Copper Coin

Copper Coin's Avatar
Outspoken D&D critic

#4

Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 866
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

Default 

September 27th, 2018, 12:21
Let me ask you a question, who is not enjoying the game in this forums other than you?
lostforever is online now

lostforever

lostforever's Avatar
SasqWatch

#5

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 4,059
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)

Default 

September 27th, 2018, 12:26
Originally Posted by lostforever View Post
Let me ask you a question, who is not enjoying the game in this forums other than you?
I like this question
Silver is offline

Silver

Silver's Avatar
Spaceman
RPGWatch Team

#6

Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 5,508
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)

Default 

September 27th, 2018, 12:30
Originally Posted by lostforever View Post
Let me ask you a question, who is not enjoying the game in this forums other than you?
I would question how many of you have played the tabletop version, because you're wasting your time by playing this instead. It's a vastly inferior experience.

Sure it's possible to enjoy this game, but you would be enjoying an inferior alternative.
Copper Coin is offline

Copper Coin

Copper Coin's Avatar
Outspoken D&D critic

#7

Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 866
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

Default 

September 27th, 2018, 12:31
Originally Posted by Silver Coin View Post
Rather than calling me a troll, tell me what's the point of playing this rather than playing the tabletop version which is superior in virtually every way? What do you gain from it?
Being a bit off-topic, I'm asking the same question, hoping my interns would answer:
"Now tell me, young one with the cutting edge hairdo: why do you think Dragon Age is a better rpg experience than say, a P&P Greyhawk?"
"Umm, I don't know what are you talking about, sir"

Lemme translate these wise words to you:
- many gamers do not play tabletop games at all (it's a grandpa thing)
- many gamers do not know that a precursor of their favorite game actually exists (nobody told me, so It does not exist)
- most gamers do not care about all of the above (whatever)

… so hence the reason, why I'm extremely skeptical about reviving old, established games for the younger generation in a modernized form.
duerer is offline

duerer

SasqWatch

#8

Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 468
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Default 

September 27th, 2018, 12:45
Here's the thing too. You can find a group to play Pathfinder: Kingmaker with online, so accessibility isn't an issue.

You can think this videogame is good, but Pathfinder fans will tell you that the P&P game is superior in every way. So why play this, when you could be playing the P&P game?

Which brings me back to my point. In order for this to be considered a good game and worth playing instead of the P&P version, it needs original content. Modding tools and cooperative play such as in Neverwinter Nights could turn this into an awesome game.

Right now though, there's no logical reason to play the videogame that I can think of.
Copper Coin is offline

Copper Coin

Copper Coin's Avatar
Outspoken D&D critic

#9

Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 866
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

Default 

September 27th, 2018, 12:46
Originally Posted by Silver Coin View Post
Why play the subpar videogame adaption when you can have more fun with the real deal?
Why yes, thank you for that interesting question. In fact, I hate other people. Also, playing a P&P game all by my self is really not to be enjoyed. I tried it, but my neighbors were getting worried when they heard me speaking in different voices. Things escalated after that, I am not willing to talk about that in much more detail.

Anyways, I can not enjoy the "real deal".

I sincerely hope that this satisfies your inquisitive needs.

Cheers.

Cacheperl is offline

Cacheperl

Keeper of the Watch

#10

Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 872
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

Default 

September 27th, 2018, 12:48
Me! I don't have it yet….

Originally Posted by lostforever View Post
Let me ask you a question, who is not enjoying the game in this forums other than you?
you is online now

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

#11

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: usa - boston
Posts: 5,496
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)

Default 

September 27th, 2018, 12:49
You made your point over and over and over and over and over and over….. So far everyone else disagrees. Repeating it over and over is just going to create friction. Just agree to disagree and move on.

Originally Posted by Silver Coin View Post
Here's the thing too. You can find a group to play Pathfinder: Kingmaker with online, so accessibility isn't an issue.

You can think this videogame is good, but Pathfinder fans will tell you that the P&P game is superior in every way. So why play this, when you could be playing the P&P game?

Which brings me back to my point. In order for this to be considered a good game and worth playing instead of the P&P version, it needs original content. Modding tools and cooperative play such as in Neverwinter Nights could turn this into an awesome game.
you is online now

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

#12

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: usa - boston
Posts: 5,496
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)

Default 

September 27th, 2018, 12:51
Fair enough, Cachepearl. I'll give you that at least.

This is the alternative for people that don't like playing with other people.

Videogame: 1
Tabletop game: 100
Copper Coin is offline

Copper Coin

Copper Coin's Avatar
Outspoken D&D critic

#13

Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 866
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

Default 

September 27th, 2018, 12:54
Originally Posted by you View Post
You made your point over and over and over and over and over and over….. So far everyone else disagrees.
Everyone disagrees, but only one person has substantiated their disagreement.

I presume that's because most of you can't logically refute my argument that the tabletop version is superior, and this is just a subpar imitation not worth playing.
Copper Coin is offline

Copper Coin

Copper Coin's Avatar
Outspoken D&D critic

#14

Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 866
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

Default 

September 27th, 2018, 13:08
Well, I can't play the tabletop on my own. Unfortunately, I don't know anyone nerdy enough to play it with me. I'm a lonely little nerd, because everyone I know isn't a nerd, so this computer game is all I can get. And yes, I like it. So maybe the original tabletop game is better, but it's very likely that I'll never know. So please let me enjoy this cRPG in peace. Thank you.
Dragonfly is offline

Dragonfly

Watcher

#15

Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 55
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Default 

September 27th, 2018, 13:26
Originally Posted by Silver Coin View Post
I would question how many of you have played the tabletop version, because you're wasting your time by playing this instead. It's a vastly inferior experience.

Sure it's possible to enjoy this game, but you would be enjoying an inferior alternative.
Whether this game is inferior to PnP is irrelevant. If I am interested in PnP, I would be posting at PnPWatch and not at RpgWatch. For whatever reason, I am not interested in PnP and only interested in CRPGs. So I am only going to compare this to other CRPGs and as far as I can tell this game is excellent compared to other similar CRPGs. That's the only thing that matters.

You can make the case that PnP > CRPG but thats different debate altogether.
lostforever is online now

lostforever

lostforever's Avatar
SasqWatch

#16

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 4,059
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)

Default 

September 27th, 2018, 13:32
Originally Posted by Silver Coin View Post
The real issue with Pathfinder: Kingmaker is that it's inferior to the tabletop version in every respect.
This reads like "Those tits suck" - while looking at male torso.
Some of us do not want to see any kind of tabletop ever again. Thus, even Tetris on PC is superior to tabletops. Again, to some of us. To those who find tabletops superior… Not sure what are they looking for on PC.
--
Toka Koka
joxer is offline

joxer

joxer's Avatar
The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

#17

Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 18,915
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)

Default 

September 27th, 2018, 13:35
"I want to play Pathfinder"…
PC: Turn on, click on Pathfinder, play.
Tabletop: Send messages to Joe, Wilma, Jack, Steve, Ann. Wait, wait, Joe says 'sure', wait, wait, Wilma says not today sorry. Wait, Jack says 'sure'. Wait, wait, Ann says 'sure but not in my house'. Send another message to Joe, Jack, Steve 'can it be at your home?'. Wait, wait, Jack says 'sure'. Take a shower, get in car or walk to the bus station. Arrive and wait until all the players get there 1 hour later. Joe says "I can only play today for 2 hours". Spend another half hour getting table ready. Spend 1 hour in one battle. Get back home.
wolfing is offline

wolfing

wolfing's Avatar
Dalek SasqWatch

#18

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Tardis
Posts: 5,594
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

Default 

September 27th, 2018, 13:37
Originally Posted by lostforever View Post
Whether this game is inferior to PnP is irrelevant.
The question isn't irrelevant, because the two games don't exist in a vacuum. You have a choice between the P&P game and the videogame directly based on it. The things the videogame tries to do are done better in the P&P game, making it the superior choice.


By the way, if you want an example of a P&P adaption done right, it's Temple of Elemental Evil. Owlcats could of learned a thing or two from Troika on how its done.
Copper Coin is offline

Copper Coin

Copper Coin's Avatar
Outspoken D&D critic

#19

Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 866
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

Default 

September 27th, 2018, 13:39
The one from 2003? It's combat was pitch perfect. IMO. But it is the most boring cRPG I've played in my life. I still have nightmares from that boredom. Then again, I don't care about combat in games. Gimme an epic story or go home.
--
Toka Koka
joxer is offline

joxer

joxer's Avatar
The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

#20

Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 18,915
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General RPG » The real issue with Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 00:21.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright by RPGWatch