NWN2 NWN blows NWN2 out of the water!

Neverwinter Nights 2

lunaticrpgs

Banned
nwn2 makes your take characters you do not want and the sandbox game is so very linear

Same troll, different day.

NWN is so fugly they had to redo Aribeth in the so-called "enhanced" edition. :p

Just kidding. If you prefer NWN, then good for you.

Main campaign? Absolutely not. With mods? Possibly. Agree that taking all companions (which seems to be the norm these days) is not a fun choice though.

I definitely prefer NWN over NWN2 due to sheer number of excellent HoF modules :)

I was sad that NWN2 modding never took off in the same way it did for NWN1. I didn't even play the vanilla campaign in NWN1 (it was bad), but I played thorugh a slew of mods. NWN2 had a stronger vanilla campaign, not to mention Mask of the Betrayer, but it did have myriad issues in the optimization/technical issues area. And I don't think I found a single very good module. A few decent ones.

I was sad that NWN2 modding never took off in the same way it did for NWN1. I didn't even play the vanilla campaign in NWN1 (it was bad), but I played thorugh a slew of mods. NWN2 had a stronger vanilla campaign, not to mention Mask of the Betrayer, but it did have myriad issues in the optimization/technical issues area. And I don't think I found a single very good module. A few decent ones.

Have you ever played Maimed Gods Saga? IMO that's probably the best NWN2 I've ever played. It's comparable to Almraiven / Shadewood, except the player character must be a cleric of Tyr… Which of course you won't enjoy if you hate the cleric class. But I enjoyed it immensely even if Cleric would not be my go to class… Technically I think it's possible to play as a Paladin as long as you have high enough wisdom to have access to spells.

Planescape: Shaper of Dreams is very good though alas the final two chapters were never translated into English, so you'd have to play the German version if you want to complete the series.

Conan Chronicles
is also very good; bit heavier on the combat than I usually go for with NWN, but so well done I didn't get bored.

Hmm I don't know there are plenty of good NWN 2 mods, and I posted the links various times already. Guess it comes down to to preference and personnel taste in mods.

Personally I enjoy both but find NWN 2 better due to it's graphics and dialogue UI.

NWN is much better, yeah. Mostly, that comes down to how easy the NWN editor is to use - as opposed to the NWN2 editor, which was such a mess.

Beyond that, NWN was very well optimised - and while it's not as pretty as NWN2 - it more than makes up for it by being vastly easier to control and interact with.

That said, I definitely prefer the NWN2 3.5 rules implementation and the launch campaign of the sequel is infinitely superior to the launch campaign of the first game.

Hmm I don't know there are plenty of good NWN 2 mods, and I posted the links various times already. Guess it comes down to to preference and personnel taste in mods.

Personally I enjoy both but find NWN 2 better due to it's graphics and dialogue UI.

There's definitely fewer mods for NWN2 overall though and most of what does exist is on the shorter side compared to some of the more epic NWN modules. But of course both games have lots of good quality mods and many promising series that have sadly been left unfinished.

I'm still hoping that Fester Pot eventually releases the third part of the Auren series someday and Andarian releases the next chapter in Sanctum of the Archmage... he keeps updating the first two parts which are insanely well polished at this point but I'd like to continue the story already :)

Have you ever played Maimed Gods Saga? IMO that's probably the best NWN2 I've ever played. It's comparable to Almraiven / Shadewood, except the player character must be a cleric of Tyr… Which of course you won't enjoy if you hate the cleric class. But I enjoyed it immensely even if Cleric would not be my go to class… Technically I think it's possible to play as a Paladin as long as you have high enough wisdom to have access to spells.

I did, and it was easily my favorite NWN2 IIRC.

NWN is much better, yeah. Mostly, that comes down to how easy the NWN editor is to use - as opposed to the NWN2 editor, which was such a mess.

Well I've used both, and... no. The NWN2 editor is better in many ways. It does have a higher learning curve though. The biggest benefit of the NWN editor is a wider selection of monsters. Some prefer the tile-based nature of everything rather than the capabilities of the NWN2 exterior editor, but that's a convenience vs. power issue.

Back
Top Bottom