Underworld Ascendant - Release Day

I did get my key earlier today, but I'm not touching it for now. I'll just keep reading feedback and watch the patches land, and maybe by Christmas or early next year I'll take a peek.

I'm hearing that there's still no manual save implemented yet which is very disappointing. If it only saves at the end of a level, like in the Beta, I won't be playing this until they put in a quick-save feature.

Just downloaded my copy - this is indeed the case. The game doesn't even let you start at the last place you planted one of those respawn plant things.

I'm exactly of the same opinion - this restriction alone means I'll not be playing this until they add a save feature.... I simply can't guarantee I can play long enough to complete levels meaning otherwise I'll waste loads of time repeating sections of game I've already played. What a stupid design decision.

Unfortunately the save system is drowning out all other opinions. So it is hard to judge user reactions ot the game beyond the save system. IMHO this is a huge mistake by the developer as this sort of negative press will be hard to combat even if they add a decent save system later on... Talk about shooting yourself in the foot.

Didn't play long, it's very gamey.
A lot of different mechanics to play with, supposed to be immersive, some are janky and other works well, but they didn't put much effort into the lore, story and presentation.
The setting isn't immersive at all.
I'd say it's kind of a linear sandbox.

I don't like it.

Wow. No manual saves? Are you kidding me? I'm glad I browsed this thread first. They must have really rushed this one out.

Really disappointed. I was waiting for this one. I'll give them some time to work out the missing content and features.

Well since they are 2 years behind their projected release date I would hardly say they rushed it out. As far as how ready for release they were ??? I get the feeling it was release or go belly up.
Will check it out in a few months as I backed this too on KS.

No hard saves is hardly missing features ;D The level design is likely built with it in mind.

I doubt that. Did the devs really think people wanted to have to start a level from scratch again if they didn't have time to finish it the last time they were playing?

If they did, I think they woefully misjudged most of the fan base.

I doubt that. Did the devs really think people wanted to have to start a level from scratch again if they didn't have time to finish it the last time they were playing?

If they did, I think they woefully misjudged most of the fan base.

Seriously - you need to be very careful and specific with level design and genre to make that work (Dark Forces).

Same here.

I was also a backer, downloading now ... but I guess I will try Hellgate instead :)

What is it with so many recent RPGs and funky save systems... recently with Kingdom Come Deliverance, then Bard's Tale IV, now Underworld Ascendant... I really can't play games that don't let me stop when I need to stop which is quite often. Usually I get 10 to 20 minute chunks of time to play needing to stop abruptly for one reason or another. I hope this trend does a full stop soon.

What is it with so many recent RPGs and funky save systems… recently with Kingdom Come Deliverance, then Bard's Tale IV, now Underworld Ascendant… I really can't play games that don't let me stop when I need to stop which is quite often. Usually I get 10 to 20 minute chunks of time to play needing to stop abruptly for one reason or another. I hope this trend does a full stop soon.
Can't really say but some think it's on propose to make a game feel hardcore.

Just look at Kingdom Come Deliverance it used to be you needed Savior schnapps to save, but bad feedback forced them to patch it so you to save the game when you exit.

Last edited:
Any game not allowing save-anywhere is a no-play for me usually. May make a rare exception for Bard's Tale IV. Had high hopes for that one…once upon a time. Backed this one too, of course they didn't tell us at the time they planned on creating a retarded save system, or I wouldn't have bothered.

I guess things like this are strong reasons to not back games on Kickstarter, Fig, etc. When devs make decisions like no save-anywhere, you gotta make them pay for that idiocy. Which you can't, if you already backed it.

By the way, the "launch" email I received for this game is probably the weirdest I've ever gotten for any game: https://i.imgur.com/XcRpxOZ.jpg
Note how it's dated July 31st at the top right. Starts out talking about how June has been a busy month, and…it's launch day. Wtf?

Like someone said on steam forums:
"What is the incentive for players to experiment with the environment if they are punished for failed experiments by starting the whole level again?"

Not touching this until or if they implement a different save system.

*** quote ***
The game is nothing like Ultima Underworld, it doesn't have the factions, the interconected maze/dungeon, the dialogs, the storytelling, nothing.

It's more like a indie Portal game using the Stigian Abyss as the setting. Which could be ok if the physics worked as expected.
***end quote***

From one of steam user reviews ... so Im not interested. thats not what I expected at all, even if it was bugless ... which is not. Pity ...

36% positive on Steam so far, ouch.

That's pretty sad. I'm still hoping a fully patched version might end up being fun for what it is, if you go in with low expectations etc.

I can live without save-anywhere if it's part of good game design (not sure if that's the case here, I haven't played it yet) but I absolutely need save-on-exit these days. From the Steam reviews it sounds like a save-on-exit isn't really working at the minute either (eg the levels reset - which is really poor).

Fingers crossed that they turn this bad start around in the coming months and get the game working as they intended. A few extra months in development was clearly needed, but presumably they had their reasons to push it out.

What is it with so many recent RPGs and funky save systems… recently with Kingdom Come Deliverance, then Bard's Tale IV, now Underworld Ascendant… I really can't play games that don't let me stop when I need to stop which is quite often. Usually I get 10 to 20 minute chunks of time to play needing to stop abruptly for one reason or another. I hope this trend does a full stop soon.

The system in Bard's Tale IV is fine to me, since you can exit and save any time you like. It's not being able to do that that annoys me in other games.

I backed this so I guess I have a key waiting somewhere. I'll get to it. Eventually.

Last edited:
My first warning came during the Kickstarter when I was begged to raise my pledge total via personal message. They obviously never intended 900K to be the actual funding total for this game and expected to get over-funded. I almost cancelled my pledge then; wish I had now.

Back
Top Bottom