|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » What games are you playing now?

Default What games are you playing now?

March 9th, 2018, 22:13
Yeah. I think Andromeda is definitely underrated by the RPG community. It's a fun romp without a doubt. Not terribly memorable, but entertaining at the moment.
Last edited by Thrasher; March 13th, 2018 at 19:11.

Thrasher

Wheeee!

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
+1:

March 10th, 2018, 01:18
I had a good evening with Andromeda and a pizza/beer. Good Friday night fodder! My initial impressions are quite positive. First off, it runs smoothly and looks good on my PC despite the fact my hardware is getting pretty old these days (I'm only on a GTX 870M). So that's an immediate thumbs up. The dialogue is pretty clunky at times but nowhere near as bad as I expected from what I'd heard. No bugs so far. The gameplay is fast and fun, just what I'm in the mood for after many months of turn based tactical stuff. My main disappointment is that the new aliens are pretty rubbish - just non-descript and generic from an initial impression. Anyway, just a few hours in so there's a long way to go.

Pongo

Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

+1:

March 10th, 2018, 01:20
They become more fleshed out, so to speak, as the main plot evolves. But not very much sadly. One of the reasons it's not very memorable.

Thrasher

Wheeee!

+1:

March 11th, 2018, 19:23
Got a fair few hours in on Andromeda over the weekend. Its ok - I'm quite enjoying it for a change of pace - but I can see why it wasn't loved. The companion characters seem a bit flat compared to the previous series, which is a let down for a Bioware space opera (PeeBee, in particular, is just hugely annoying). The dialogue isn't too bad on the whole, but I'm missing the old paradigm/renegade options. It might have been a false choice but it least it felt like a choice. More often than I'd like, the options in Andromeda seem to boil down to "agree" or "agree with a sarky comment".

On the positive side, I'm really impressed with the graphics and how well it runs on my rather rundown PC. Wandering around the galaxy and finding new planets never looked this good before! And the weird facial animations people were talking about on release must have all been fixed, I haven't noticed anything like that.

Pongo

Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

March 11th, 2018, 21:41
I finally finished Orginal Sin 2, and started Dragon’s Dogma. It feels rather primitive and the UI is truly horrible. Will be trying Dark Souls today with a newer mouse and keyboard mod. Wish me luck dealing with another console port.

Thrasher

Wheeee!

March 11th, 2018, 23:22
As bad as Dragon's Dogma KB/M UI might be; it is a gazillion times better than Dark Soul's (even with dsfix mod).

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
+1:

March 12th, 2018, 00:47
Yeah, I just found out. Yuck.

Has anyone killed the Asylum Demon on first encounter? The best I could do is get him down about a quarter health, roll dodging like hell to stay behind him.

Thrasher

Wheeee!

March 12th, 2018, 01:07
Originally Posted by Thrasher View Post

Has anyone killed the Asylum Demon on first encounter? The best I could do is get him down about a quarter health, roll dodging like hell to stay behind him.
You will get a nice prize if you kill him on first encounter. Otherwise you can shave off good amount of health when you jump-drop on him afterwards, or you can attack him with ranged weapons on the second encounter (depending on your build).

SpoonFULL

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

March 12th, 2018, 01:28
I played through Age of Decadence again as a thief, then played a couple of runs through Slay the Spire and I'm now playing Dungeon Rats again.

It's a really fun game actually even though it has a slightly repetitive nature due to the handplaced fights. I'm playing with a throwing weapon build which is quite different to my usual approach.

Pladio

Guardian of Nonsense
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Pladio

March 12th, 2018, 05:50
I don't remember the UI in Dragon's Dogma being bad, though I do remember the spell names being annoyingly cryptic.
--
The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views….
-- Doctor Who in "Face of Evil"

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)

March 12th, 2018, 10:06
Originally Posted by Pladio View Post
I played through Age of Decadence again as a thief, then played a couple of runs through Slay the Spire and I'm now playing Dungeon Rats again.

It's a really fun game actually even though it has a slightly repetitive nature due to the handplaced fights. I'm playing with a throwing weapon build which is quite different to my usual approach.
I enjoyed Dungeon Rats, but not as much as I thought I would do. I drifted away from it during one of the giant worm fights. The combat was challenging and diverse, but the game had started to feel too linear for me. I knew it was going to be combat focussed and I was fine with that, but I thought there would be some exploration/alternative routes etc.

Pongo

Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

March 12th, 2018, 13:22

Starting as a pyromancer is apparently the easiest way to kill him, but "dodging like hell" is pretty much how the combat works in the game.
--
It's developer is owned by Sony which means it'll remain a hostage of inferior hardware. ~ joxer

azarhal

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
+1:

March 12th, 2018, 14:25
Originally Posted by Pongo View Post
I enjoyed Dungeon Rats, but not as much as I thought I would do. I drifted away from it during one of the giant worm fights. The combat was challenging and diverse, but the game had started to feel too linear for me. I knew it was going to be combat focussed and I was fine with that, but I thought there would be some exploration/alternative routes etc.
Yup, there are only three/four optional fights in the entire game. That makes it quite linear. I just finished it and I do not think I'll replay this one for a while.

I still had a lot of fun with a new build, which I guess is what makes the game fun for me.

Pladio

Guardian of Nonsense
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Pladio

March 12th, 2018, 18:10

Most "strategies" in Souls revolve circle strafing/roll through ( or getting behind/to the side, "hugging the enemy) as much as possible), wait for the longest attack, attack two times, back away, repeat.
If you want an easy/cheat mode, use magic/ranged attacks ( AI really is too poor to deal with it).
It's not a difficult game, simply cheap+everything hits hard, until you learn what AI/encounters revolve around.
--
Rush in and die, dogs…I was a man before I was a king.

BoboTheMighty

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
+1:

March 12th, 2018, 18:46
Are there combo attacks? I can go look it up…

Thrasher

Wheeee!

March 12th, 2018, 19:10
Originally Posted by Pongo View Post
I had a good evening with Andromeda and a pizza/beer.
You had a good evening because of pizza/beer, of course. With any game you would have had a good time, ME:A only was there by chance.
--
Sou tricolor de coração!

Sie sind das Essen und Wir sind die Jäger!

henriquejr

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)

March 12th, 2018, 19:40
By Bioware standards (nowadays), ME:A is actually pretty decent.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)

March 12th, 2018, 19:47
Originally Posted by henriquejr View Post
You had a good evening because of pizza/beer, of course. With any game you would have had a good time, ME:A only was there by chance.
Depends on the amount of beer, obviously.

pibbur who doesn't drink beer and hasn't played the above mentioned game.
--
d++a63e++TU4567'!S'!89!A!WM!LuC++++u+++uF+++nR—? ??nS++++wC—-o++++wS——uLB++++

1. The cat is alive! And pissed!!!
2. It's been 82 years. The cat is dead, and the stench is unbearable!!!

pibbur who

Number 14
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)

March 12th, 2018, 20:20
After buying this almost a month ago, today I fired up Legend of Heroes: Cold Steel two, for the computer. I've only played an hour so far, but I'm totally back in love with this series, you really don't know how much you missed something until you have it back again!!

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)

March 12th, 2018, 20:58
Originally Posted by BoboTheMighty View Post
Most "strategies" in Souls revolve circle strafing/roll through ( or getting behind/to the side, "hugging the enemy) as much as possible), wait for the longest attack, attack two times, back away, repeat.
If you want an easy/cheat mode, use magic/ranged attacks ( AI really is too poor to deal with it).
It's not a difficult game, simply cheap+everything hits hard, until you learn what AI/encounters revolve around.
So maybe a slow heavy armored knight is more of hindrance than a help if he's too slow to dodge? I found the only chance in hell I had against that demon was to take off the armor to be able to dodge fast enough.

Thrasher

Wheeee!

RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » What games are you playing now?