Replaying the Mass Effect trilogy

N

NewDArt

I'm surprised I couldn't find a Bioware or Mass Effect section anywhere....

-----

So, I've decided to replay this - and hopefully manage to complete ME3, which I never did in the past.

I wanted to try the "Renegade" path - but I can already sense that it's just not enjoyable for me, and I'm almost done with the Citadel - sigh. I hate that section of the game….

Anyway, I'll start over and go Paragon.

I usually play Infiltrator - but I would like to try something new.

Any recommendations? What's the most fun - especially if you take all 3 games into account?

Also, any mods you can recommend?

I usually play Infiltrator - but I would like to try something new.

Any recommendations? What's the most fun - especially if you take all 3 games into account?
Depends on playing style. Also, the classes change significantly between 1 and 2, which is probably why you can actually change class as you import your character from 1 to 2.

In ME1, I personally prefer Sentinel, as they have such a huge array of abilities. Also, they have the tech skills required for opening all containers, so there's no need to worry about bringing Garrus, Tali or Kaiden to do that. The same applies to Infiltrator and Engineer, but they have very little CC to speak of, so that means bringing Liara or Kaiden.

In terms of weaponry, pistols or assault rifles are generally the way to go in ME1 as the main weapon. It can be nice to have a shotgun or sniper rifle, but those weapons are much stronger in ME2 and 3.

In ME2 and 3, I prefer Vanguard, Infiltrator and Soldier, due to how the emphasis changes from ability/skill usage to weapons, especially on higher difficulties when even Husks are armored (which makes them immune to CC until the armor is removed). Soldier is probably the strongest, due to how absurd Adrenaline Rush is, but the others are perfectly viable and probably more fun (Vanguard with charge/close range skills and Infiltrator for sneaking/stealth).

Also, any mods you can recommend?
I don't actually know of any worth using.

The Vanguard with fully powered up Charge and fast recovery is fun, but is also overpowered. You can crash through almost every battle like an unstoppable cannonball.

I've been considering picking Sentinel - as it sounded kinda cool.

I use the Sniper Rifle to much success in ME1, though. But I've only played an Infiltrator in all the games - except a few tries as an Adept, which just isn't my style.

They refined the classes in ME2 and ME3 - so I was mostly looking for new choices there.

I know I can pick any class - but I thought it might be cool to just go with the same one through all three.

I wonder how Sentinel plays in ME2/ME3….. I think I will give it a shot, though I loathe the thought of not having my beloved Sniper Rifle :)

I've also been looking at Soldier - but I fear it's a little too simplistic for my tastes, and I hear it's supposed to be really bad in ME3.

Vanguard sounds cool, too - but I'm not a big close-combat guy. I don't think I would enjoy having to get so close all the time.

I've also been looking at Soldier - but I fear it's a little too simplistic for my tastes, and I hear it's supposed to be really bad in ME3.

Vanguard sounds cool, too - but I'm not a big close-combat guy. I don't think I would enjoy having to get so close all the time.

Soldier is strong in all games, actually. Probably the strongest overall class for new players, as it's very straight forward, but also very simple. If you don't like simple, it's certainly not for you.

Sentinel is probably the strongest overall choice beyond that, and it can actually get sniper rifle in ME2 and 3 (ME2 about halfway through the game when you can choose a weapon upgrade, and in ME3 you can choose your own load-outs). I've actually run "Sniper Sentinels" several times, and while it can be a bit annoying in ME2 as there's no "slow down" effect, in ME3 you can get that via a mod which makes it really nice.

Soldier is strong in all games, actually. Probably the strongest overall class for new players, as it's very straight forward, but also very simple. If you don't like simple, it's certainly not for you.

Sometimes I like simple if I'm just going to rush through something. If this was just for ME1 - I might have picked Soldier just to experience the story.

But I intend to go through all 3 of them to finally get the complete ME experience - hopefully with some interesting consequences of my choices.

Not sure if I'll manage to stay interested, but I love Mass Effect - and I've completed ME and ME2 more than once.

I don't know anything about Soldier in ME2/ME3 - I just read somewhere that Soldier in ME3 is bad because of the weight thing. Not sure why :)

Sentinel is probably the strongest overall choice beyond that, and it can actually get sniper rifle in ME2 and 3 (ME2 about halfway through the game when you can choose a weapon upgrade, and in ME3 you can choose your own load-outs). I've actually run "Sniper Sentinels" several times, and while it can be a bit annoying in ME2 as there's no "slow down" effect, in ME3 you can get that via a mod which makes it really nice.

Sentinel sounds very appealing - and I get the feeling that we enjoy similar builds :)

I always tend to go for the "tech/sneak/clever" type of character in sci-fi games.

Like in System Shock 2 - which I've completed 3-4 times with the Tech guy ;)

Sentinel sounds very appealing - and I get the feeling that we enjoy similar builds :)

I always tend to go for the "tech/sneak/clever" type of character in sci-fi games.

Like in System Shock 2 - which I've completed 3-4 times with the Tech guy ;)

Yeah, Sentinel fits the bill. Then again, your original plan of Infiltrator also fits the bill, so now I'm not helping at all, hehe.

Yeah, Sentinel fits the bill. Then again, your original plan of Infiltrator also fits the bill, so now I'm not helping at all, hehe.

Yes you are :)

I know I would enjoy Infiltrator - but I've done that to death by now. Sentinel sounds close to my preferred playstyle and it's going to be something new in a great game series.

Appreciate your input!

Yes you are :)

I know I would enjoy Infiltrator - but I've done that to death by now. Sentinel sounds close to my preferred playstyle and it's going to be something new in a great game series.

Appreciate your input!
Fair enough. I see your point. And also, anytime. :)

Edit: I've played ME1 over 30 times by now, not because it's my favorite game of all time (certainly not), but because I love sci-fi and there are so few good games that will satisfy that particular itch. Frustrating.

Edit: I've played ME1 over 30 times by now, not because it's my favorite game of all time (certainly not), but because I love sci-fi and there are so few good games that will satisfy that particular itch. Frustrating.

It's the exact same reason I'm going to play it. I really, really enjoy it for the setting and the gameplay is definitely servicable.

Far from my favorite series, though.

I assume you've played all the great sci-fi games - so I would probably waste your time recommending alternatives :)

It's the exact same reason I'm going to play it. I really, really enjoy it for the setting and the gameplay is definitely servicable.

Far from my favorite series, though.

I assume you've played all the great sci-fi games - so I would probably waste your time recommending alternatives :)

I've played most that are currently out, but what's on the horizon? I'm having trouble finding anything beyond Cyberpunk (interesting, but not really sci-fi) and Star Citizen (Squadron 42 being the most interesting part for me).

The only known Star Wars game in development that was of any interest to me got cancelled, and the rest all seem to be fantasy. Elex 2 has been confirmed, but that's as close as it gets.

Have I missed anything? I honestly hope so..

I've played most that are currently out, but what's on the horizon? I'm having trouble finding anything beyond Cyberpunk (interesting, but not really sci-fi) and Star Citizen (Squadron 42 being the most interesting part for me).

The only known Star Wars game in development that was of any interest to me got cancelled, and the rest all seem to be fantasy. Elex 2 has been confirmed, but that's as close as it gets.

Have I missed anything? I honestly hope so..

I very much doubt SQ42 comes out this year - but it's possible, I guess.

System Shock Remake is supposed to come out this year. System Shock 3 is also being worked on - though I wouldn't expect it for at least a couple of years.

I guess Bioware's Anthem is also 2018? Though that could easily slip.

I believe the next Metro game is also on the horizon - though that's more like a straight-up shooter.

I also have a feeling Bethsoft will announce their next big game at E3 - meaning it's likely to come out at the end of the year - with Howard's new pattern of releasing soon after announcement. They licensed a name called "Stars" something - IIRC. So, my bet is that it's going to be a sci-fi game :)

Aaaaaand, I take back what I just said about System Shock Remake - as that's just been postponed to 2019 :)

I guess Bioware's Anthem is also 2018? Though that could easily slip.

Anthem was already pushed back once (from Spring 2018 to Fall 2018), but EA has it for their Fiscal year 2019 which runs from April 2018 to March, 31 2019 (no typos on the dates).

Bethesda game is/was called Starfield, the game is still only known as an unused trademark…

Well, DArt already made up his mind, but I actually enjoyed soldier the most in my runs. Plus, I thought that fits Shepard the best in terms of the character, but that's just me ;)

Have fun DArt! When I'm done with DA:O I might replay ME as well.

I haven’t played these yet. Spent a little time with the first one but I’m not much of a sci-fi fan. I would like to try and give them a shot again at some point though.

I’m always a little jealous of ME fans and wish that dragon age would have gotten a proper trilogy.

My first character in me1 was a soldier actually, so the class really works beautifully atleast in ME1 and ME 2, but there very little else involved than pushing the trigger finger which is why I tend to shift towards biotic users.

I just really like playing with biotic powers. It fits very well for Shephard in my mind as he is the first human spectre. I usually go for either Vanguard or Adept. Like Ripper commented above, vanguards are the shock troops in their truest sense. If you like to be in the frontline at the center of all attention, vanguard is way to go. :)

Adepts aren't pushovers either. In fact they're really strong in mass effect 1, almost OP. :p For a good reason devs nerfed them in me 2. In ME3 they gain some of their overpowerness back though.

Ok , got bored with elex and this thread has inspired me to give these a go and see what happens. If I don’t enjoy it though I’m blaming DArt for my wasted time.:lol:

Playing an infiltrator as it seemed closest to a rogue/assassin that I’d play in fantasy games.

Anyone know how to run at 4K resolution. Ini. Edit I’m guessing.

DArt, hope you don’t mind me stealing a bit of your thunder. I didn’t want to start a whole new thread. If so just tell me to get lost.:biggrin:

Doubt my play style would fit. I brought all three games at once along with some of the DLC (the ones I was interested in) and then played it all back to back. I was lucky as I had never played any of them before. So I had a very long continuous play through with no breaks.

I just love the biotic powers so for all three games I kept Shep the same - a very powerful biotic with some minor combat training. Have to admit I fully enjoyed the ride. I did the same with my character in MAE as well.

But for me I like things that are more intrinsic that can't be taken away easily. By that I mean weapons and armor can be taken away but seems harder to remove someone's biotics. Also why I think I like martial arts, magic, or other things that come from the mind or don't need armor/weapons or the like.

My sniper in FO is rather lost with out his guns but my melee tank can pick up most any heavy object and do good. Or use his hands.

Anyhow that is why I like the Biotic play through. That and it reminds me of magic, Psionics, or the force from Kotor/SW.

Back
Top Bottom