Siege of Dragonspear - Reviews

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
Located two reviews for Siege of Dragonspear for now.

PC World, 4/5

New journey, old friends. I don’t know what possessed Beamdog to make Siege of Dragonspear an expansion to the original game, nor do I know what devil’s pact coerced them into making it thirty-odd hours long. It’s insanity.

But hopefully this isn’t Beamdog’s last bit of Baldur’s Gate content, because they’ve done an incredible job. As someone who first received Baldur’s Gate for Christmas way back in 1998 on six—six!—CD-ROMs, Siege of Dragonspear feels like a long-lost (and polished-up) chapter of the original, like it belonged from the start. That’s quite a feat, given the seventeen year spread in between.

Will it please every purist? Of course not. As with any beloved series, passions run high and nostalgia’s a hell of a drug. There are bound to be those who wish Beamdog had stuck to a purely conservationist role. But Siege of Dragonspear won me over, and I’d like to see what the team does next. Go for the eyes, Boo.
VentureBeat, 87/100

Baldur’s Gate: Siege of Dragonspear fills in some of what happens to the Child of Bhaal between saving Baldur’s Gate and saving your soul from Irenicus, and it’s a hoot to revisit this world, using the old D&D rules from the 1990s.

But Siege of Dragonspear hints at more — a studio that’s done with just enhancing older games and ready to carve out a place among the top storytellers in the RPG sector. Beamdog’s first effort at original storytelling is a good start, and I’m excited to see more in the future, even if it’s in the world of Baldur’s Gate.

Besides, I’m always ready for more Minsc and Boo. No one can resist the miniature giant space hamster of goodness
More information.

Still working my way through BG:EE but looking forward to it this summer.

Finished it finally. I enjoyed it. 4.5/5 Was more linear then past games with not as many ending options as I would have liked as well. Over all it was more akin to Ice Wind Dale in combat heavy over story but still feel good about my playthrough. Disappointed that it does not have much impact on BG2.

I'm 22 hours in right now and I have enjoyed it a lot so far, given that I have plenty of map locations unexplored I expect it will last closer to 40-45 hours for me.

I have come across no bugs or crashes. Some weak "mini-quests" and poor dialogue on occasion but nothing really noteworthy.

For the most part this feels like a natural continuation of the original adventure and a great playing experience, with new characters, areas, puzzles and everything else you expect in a new chapter of the BG-saga. At this point, I feel I can sincerely say that I'd love to have Beamdog take a backstab at making "Baldur's Gate 3", the magic still remains in the series for me and it no longer feels like much of a "Legacy Destroying Gamble". :thumbsup:

Last edited:
I just left Baldur's Gate (after hours of finding a good party, getting my mage to learn spells, selling and buying item, etc) and I'm liking the game so far. The dialogue could be better and I read in reviews that the game is too linear, but well, I never really expected something like Baldur's Gate 2, but something more akin to Throne of Bhaal, which I think is just what we got. I'm looking forward to a new Baldur's Gate, though. I would really love Baldur's Gate 3.

I agree with most of what I've read here (I'm 4 hours in). Most of the bugs seem to have to do with multiplayer, which doesn't interest interest me at all. Most of the hate seems focused on this, or on the few tidbits of writing that people find political, and while one can debate whether they have a place in a Baldur's Gate game, the ones I've seen so far play almost no role in the story as such.

mutliplayer can be fun when you do a playthrough with no or limited pause.

Glad to see it get some positive reviews. I was concerned that this would be yet another cRPG that gets beaten to a bloody pulp by negativity. (But I suppose that will probably happen anyway...)

Glad to see it get some positive reviews. I was concerned that this would be yet another cRPG that gets beaten to a bloody pulp by negativity. (But I suppose that will probably happen anyway…)
It happens in user reviews. However, Steam reviews are basically the only reliable ones in this field at the moment, as you have to own the game to review it, and those are trending up. Metacritic doesn't really matter.

It happens in user reviews. However, Steam reviews are basically the only reliable ones in this field at the moment, as you have to own the game to review it, and those are trending up. Metacritic doesn't really matter.

Reviews stays on Steam if you refund the game though...

I've heard the writing is just plain bad. Nevermind the social issues or whatever..

Good review. Sounds a lot like Throne of Bhaal, which I found tedious and forgettable... I kind of wish this transgender thing wasn't getting as much attention as it is, so that reviewers could instead focus on the substance of the game without getting smokescreened by Beamdog.

Back
Top Bottom