Avadon 2 - Preview @ Invision Game Community

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
The Invision Game Community has a new preview of Avadon 2 - The Corruption.

At this early stage Avadon 2 is really looking like it will be a very detailed game to play and a desirable title for RPG fans looking for a deep and meaningful adventure to engage themselves within. If there were one negative that I would point out at this point in development, it is that there is a lot of reading to do. I know this is not an uncommon feature in such games, and maybe this is a more personal factor than a genuine problem requiring a fix, but I recognise that some gamers are like myself and do not wish to have to read too much while they play. I personally prefer speech to text, but in a game of this style I can see why text might have been the preferred choice of the developers. As a whole the game seems to have a lot to offer to RPG fans and it will be interesting for them to see what they think once it reaches its final release.

The Good – A deep storyline and an adventure which never makes you feel too far disconnected from the wider world and overarching task at hand. A short but sweet tutorial also acts as the perfect refresher for players of Avadon and a strong first-time guide to new players alike.

The Bad – Some players may not be too fond of the amount of text to read in game.
More information.

Last edited:
This preview seems fairly shoddy all-around (what's with all the complaining about text?), but the worst part is the screenshots. 300x169, in the largest versions...

It also says "Release Date: OUT NOW", but is it really? Spiderweb's website says otherwise.

This preview seems fairly shoddy all-around (what's with all the complaining about text?)…
I for one am not that fond about it ! :) I never like having to read pages on pages, in order to acquire a lore that should be learn through exploring the game world. Most of the time it's provided through the form of dialog instead of purely visual clues or other interactive forms. I like video games because they are an alternative to reading books, not because or when they pretend to be it.

Toward the end Avadon became too hard at the boss fight. Balance was lacking, game ceased to be fun so I cheated to see the endgame.

That certainly wasn't my experience in the final scenario; although ultimately I never did attempt to take down Redbeard in my first play-through. However I'd never cheat; the game has enough ways and means to overcome most obstacles in your path to not require anything like that. :) It definitely wasn't as challenging as Avernum in this regard.

This particular preview is obviously aimed at a different/younger audience given the website (and age/experience of the previewer) so I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt despite the anti-text disposition. Hopefully a Watcher veteran or two will write their own impressions thread when the game finally does come out.

Reading? Geez where is my awesome button?!!!!

Lol some people have trouble reading??? Seriously, if reading is too much of an effort, the internet and many other things may not be for them. That has to be the dumbest complaint I've seen in quite a while.

-Carn

Back
Top Bottom