The TV Series discussion thread

Mindhunter is turning out to be a pretty great show. I was a little annoyed that the lady from Fringe didn't pop up till later, not sure why they didn't bring her in at the very start, but it is seriously worth watching. We're at the halfway mark and savouring the last episodes.

We love the Good Place, it's a short, interesting show with a nice cast. It will be hard to have such a good surprise this season but, if any show could actually pull it off, this one might.

Checked out the first episode (season 1) on Netflix, can catch up with the second season on Hulu. We like it a lot at our house and we'll catch up with the remaining episodes through out the week.

The wife and I have taken up Death in Paradise which you Euros are all probably familiar with. We found it on Netflix - surprised PBS hadn't shown it. I wouldn't want to visit this tiny little island, what with between 8-10 murders a year apparently on an island with 5 police officers, but its been great fun.

Until the third season. But we are still loving it anyway.

Watched the first episode of Gunpowder. Wow, what crap. Is this the beginning of the end for british television and their once majestic sweep of the historical drama genre? Clearly a vanity project for the guy that plays Jon Snow on GOT - I forget his name - seeing that he's one of the producers and cast himself in the lead role of course.

You sense things might be seriously wrong when you see Liv Tyler being cast as the female lead. I do not need to see long drawn out scenes of people playing hide and seek with priests hiding in secret cubbies as the big baddie in black goes from one corner of the room to another, sneering, " I bet he's IN HERE!!!" "No? I bet he's in THERE! NO? Ah-HAH! I heard someone cough under that commode over there! GOTCHA!" And I do not need to see old ladies being crushed by 4 strategically placed 300 pound weights, or the priest's catamite being drawn and quartered with every detail, showing his innies now being made his outties. Awful awful shit. You're slipping BBC.

I haven't watched much tv recently, but have enjoyed Homeland in the past. I am not totally up on the most recent seasons, but the first couple seasons were the best ones.

By the way, I finally figured out how to post youtube videos directly.

For those who want to know, its real easy. I learned this by reading the help section.

Updated: it isn't letting me do an example…just go to this section of the help, and you will see what it looks like, its on the very bottom of the page -- https://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/misc.php?do=bbcode

For example, the above video's code from the Homeland trailer is -- KyFmS3wRPCQ
Put that in between the youtube brackets, as shown in the help section.

Simply put whatever code of the youtube video you want in between as shown, with no spaces, and then reload the page after you post it. (first it will say loading…) then after reloading, the video appears in your post.

The Last Kingdom was unknown to me when I encountered it on netflix. And hence was a complete surprise how great it was. Love the more bleak (and real?) atmosphere and the pace is fast. Can't wait for the next season. I never read the books but I read some books of Cornwell a long time ago (if it is the same author), specifically his interpretation of the legend of Arthur, and the show represents his style pretty well.

I thought Vikings was pretty standard and mainstream in comparison. In fact I was first following vikings before I switched over to the last kingdom. Although Vikings was actually not that bad so I might pick it up again.

These days also watching the good place among other things, which I don't think has been mentioned here yet. Enjoying it, there is a nice twist at the end of season 1 (didn't see it coming although the signs are there when I look at it afterwards).

I like how the timeline in The Last Kingdom picks up a little bit after where Vikings ends. Makes for a lot of binge watching at once.

Mindhunter is turning out to be a pretty great show. I was a little annoyed that the lady from Fringe didn't pop up till later, not sure why they didn't bring her in at the very start, but it is seriously worth watching. We're at the halfway mark and savouring the last episodes.

+1 for Mindhunter. Great show. It's what you get if you get rid of all the crappy Hollywood fluff from Criminal Minds, and focus on some great characters.

I started Zoo. Interesting concept. It's on Netflix and is about animals attacking humans by co-ordination in a way which isn't 'normal'...

Not sure how it will shape up but it has an interesting start.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

https://www.economist.com/blogs/prospero/2017/10/unspoilt

Very light spoilers review of stranger things 2.

I don't feel spoilt but if you want to know 0 about it then don't read.

It seems like it is a slow start and ends up being really good...

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

We watched the first two episodes of series two of Stranger Things and thought it got off to a great start. I do love shows that don't need explosions or nudies every two point two seconds to just grab attention, if the story is strong you won't need silly gimmicks to propel it.

watched friday stranger things season 2, nowhere near the first season, no more mystery, not scary, they turned it into resident evil; and probably season 3 will suck even more as we got hint of what about it might be

I've watched the first 5 episodes (out of 9), and it's not bad. They've managed to maintain the same atmosphere and 80s vibe of the first season, but it doesn't have the same sense of mystery.

Top of the Lake S01 was quite amazing, loved the attention to little details and the actors were all great. It felt a little bit like a mix of silence of the lambs and Ozark (well, not the story, the tone).
Supposedly it seems like S02 is some type of feminism propaganda and the actors are supposed to talk and act very theatrical for some reason (read some reviews), too bad :( S01 hinted a little bit about feminism i guess (men are evil etc) but it wasn't cringe level bad really.

So, I finished the second season of Stranger Things. I'm disappointed and angry at the writers for messing up what made the first season so good. The second season oscillates between a feeling of deja vu and a jumble of disparate, superfluous story arcs that have lost all traces of the camaraderie that made the first season so good.

They added some unnecessary new characters with shallow backstories and turned it all into some derivative lightweight action series. The only episode for which I felt any of the same nostalgia elicited by the first season was the final, ninth episode.

Also, Samwise Gamgee needs to lay off the second breakfasts.

Also, Samwise Gamgee needs to lay off the second breakfasts.

A weekly walk to Mount Doom would do him good..

I watched the first episode, it was so-so.. i'm not super excited after reading all the negative comments, might skip it, so many other shows to watch…

Walking Dead, hmm, i think i'll wait this season out to see what the general opinion is before i waste my time on it, i think the last season was very disappointing.

I don't feel the second season of Stranger Things is that much worse than the first. When I watched the first season I liked it, but was totally surprised as how it became a phenomenon. It was just ok. Likewise, I'm watching season 2 and I like it ok.

Just finished Stranger Things. I don't agree with most of the negative comments about it.

Yeah, the first season was better, but that was almost guaranteed to be the case anyways. When a show is based heavily on nostalgia like this, the novelty of that eventually starts to wear off.

I really liked Season 2 towards the end though. I thought the last 3 episodes in particular were all very good.

Back
Top Bottom