next-gen HairWorks

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
No, it has nothing to do with mainstream next gen definition. It's not about consoles.

https://www.pcgamesn.com/real-time-ai-hair-rendering-deep-learning
Nvidia GPUs could use AI to power next-gen HairWorks models in future games

Researchers from the University of South California, Pinscreen, and Microsoft have developed a hair rendering technique powered by deep learning. This neural network can render 3D hair models from only a 2D reference image, and is the first of its kind to work in real-time.

If you’ve ever turned on Nvidia’s HairWorks in games such as The Witcher 3 or Final Fantasy XV, you may well have noticed your in-game performance drops significantly - even if it’s just Geralt’s lovely mop on the screen. Rendering a couple hundred thousand individual strands of hair is no walk in the park.

But AI researchers believe a convolutional neural network may have a use for this demanding task. Neural networks follow the same concept as the brain, connecting up various nodes in certain ways, across many layers, to classify information from an input into various groups. These deep-learning systems have a variety of uses, with image recognition and identification finding new use within rendering techniques.

You're seeing someone dancing wildly nearby? Yea, that's me!

Joxer if I obsessed about hair and bears as much as you do I would call myself crazy.:p

Anyway this tech could finally solve the hair problem in games, but I hate that it will again be Nvidia exclusive. That's right I prefer buying AMD over Nvidia nowadays.

I found myself enjoying the HairWorks feature more than I thought I would in Witcher 3.

This kind of detail adds up when combined with other details.

It's especially noticable if you go back a decade or so - and you'll find that some games look strangely barren and lacking in detail, even though you were once incredibly impressed by them.

Back
Top Bottom