Fallout 4 - Todd Howard: The Survival Mode is Fun

I like the trade off between adrenaline and fatigue. Will they cancel each other out if you go on too long, or will one start to dominate? This is the sort finessing that needs close attention. :)

Also Joxer likes that: "Enemy and Loot Repopulation: Locations you've cleared will now repopulate enemies and loot at a significantly slower rate."

:D

You can make the case for and explain gradual enemy respawns but loot respawn is moronic in a supposed wasteland.

Because I haven't played the game, I don't know if our character can craft ammo (from ingredients you collect).

So the only logical explanation I can see is: because you use ammo to kill the hostile creatures, even if they respawn at a lowered pace (and let's forget any melee/brawling char build here), you could, theoretically run out of ammo because they respawn but loot doesn't.

And I stressed the word "theoretically" above because I know, from previous Fallout games, there are tons of containers with loot and to exhaust all ammo you find inside them (even if we consider loot doesn't respawn) is a near-impossible job.

The way I see, only this can explain respawning loot: to avoid a situation where you have zero ammo, with ammo nowhere to be found (again: theoretically) and, to a lesser extent, to keep the crafting working, because ingredients would respawn too.

Yeah yeah, I know this is kinda crazy theory but I simply couldn't think of anything better to explain this feature. And neither Bethesda will :D

Hmm, I don't know about this.

I've never found the whole eat/drink mechanic adds much to games - rather the opposite. I think they'd have to change much more to make it fit the rest of the game.

The game isn't really the kind of oppressing realistic survival simulator that some people might want from Fallout.

It's more of a large open world ripe for exploration and discovery - and I can't imagine it being all that fun having to manually go everywhere and fight fatigue and hunger in a game that doesn't otherwise take itself that seriously.

I'll have to try it, though, but I just don't think the game has the gravitas to make that kind of ultra-immersive gameplay work.

Wait what?
Enemy and Loot Repopulation: Locations you've cleared will now repopulate enemies and loot at a significantly slower rate.

Seems I've played even harder than this mode with norespawn mod. :D

But seriously, I've posted numerous times that the problem with all these grinders that become too easy after a while is exactly the grinding part. Cut it away and you have a challenge at all stages. Don't cut XP, don't cut looted $, just remove endless grind.

Is there an ETA for the survival mode Beta?

JD, from what I could gather, there's no word about that. But I personally think it won't take that longer to be released.

Back
Top Bottom