Kingdom Come vs Elder Scrolls

Farflame

SasqWatch
Video comparison between Kingdom Come and TES. With english subtitles for those who are not native speakers.

Bethesda should probably learn even more than they suggest. :)

Another one?
These two products are almost totally different, the only thing they share is leveling a skill through it's repetition. Okay being broken at release is also "the same", but then we could put Arkham Knight in the mix too.

I'm honestly unsure why are so many people making videos and articles with KCD and TES in the same basket. There is no fruit to harvest from it.
Well, unless the video author (or in other cases article author) is paid by clicks.

KCD seems to be wavering on its promise of a serious modding kit. Unless that materialises, for me, there is no comparison.

Not sure what are you trying to compare exactly there.
If promise wavering, then expect KS stuff that was cut out like dog pet and thorough bugfixing before any modding tools.
Other than that, KCD is a first game in potential franchise. I don't remember Arena and Battlespire having any modding tools.

That's taking a wider view, and fair enough. To me though, I was very interested in a cryengine open world game with a proper creation kit. Not so much just in the base game. If it grows into something more interesting, great.

KCD seems to be wavering on its promise of a serious modding kit. Unless that materialises, for me, there is no comparison.
That's taking a wider view, and fair enough. To me though, I was very interested in a cryengine open world game with a proper creation kit. Not so much just in the base game. If it grows into something more interesting, great.
Not going to happen as Cry Engine is not a mod friendly engine like the Bethesda creation engine. Crytek also launched a new payment model for using the engine.

Last edited:
Not going to happen as Cry Engine is not a mod friendly engine like the Bethesda creation engine. Crytek also launched a new payment model for using the engine.

What makes you say Cryengine is not mod friendly? Crysis 2 came with a mod SDK, and full world editor. People made total conversions with it.

http://www.moddb.com/games/crysis-2/mods

What makes you say Cryengine is not mod friendly? Crysis 2 came with a mod SDK, and full world editor. People made total conversions with it.

http://www.moddb.com/games/crysis-2/mods
Simple plain logic as the mod scene is not huge for this engine and never will be.

Look I would like to see a developer create another user friendly NWN toolset, or Bethesda engine to easily mod games, but it's not going to happen.

Also the link only has two short pages.:p

Anyway a few years back everyone was in a frenzy over the Divinity games and the included mod creator, but it never got as large as the two engines I stated above.

Simply fizzled out as not enough modders care about the engine.

(And yes I know mods are on Steam for both Original Sin games.);)

I don't see the logic in concluding that an engine is not mod-friendly because the mod scene is not large. I don't think the Cryengine is fundamentally any less moddable than any other.

KCD originally promised to release their own game construction tools, which they clearly already have. They say the issue is negotiating with Crytek, because it's a modified version of their editor.

They say the issue is negotiating with Crytek, because it's a modified version of their editor.
That is part of my second reason why. Crytek just changed their licensing fees, and most sites speculate it has to do with the percentage they earned from KCD.

Link - https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...opts-royalties-model-as-cryengine-5-5-arrives
No doubt Crytek is kicking itself that it didn't employ this strategy ahead of Kingdom Come: Deliverance's release. The game is by far the most prominent recent example of a CryEngine, and sold more than one million copies in its first two weeks.

Yeah, I think Crytek felt they weren't treated too fairly, which may be true. Still, I don't see the Cryengine as being a barrier to modding. If you are going to release a modding kit for your game, that's obviously going to incur a cost - you could pay to develop one from scratch, or you pay Crytek to let you release a custom version of their editor. That's what the Ark Survival guys did with Unreal.

I guess the question might then be why does Skyrim and FO4 have such an active and involved modding community, with thousands of diverse mods and the others do not - even if their game is moddable. Is it because Beth games are more mod friendly and easier to mod? Because there is a wider knowledge base (thanks to the same engine being used a lot which is a fact many bemoan but has the plus of being familiar)?

Just look at the front page of nexus: https://www.nexusmods.com/

Skyrim 57K mods, FO4 23.8K, FNV 19.1K, SSE 11.4K, Oblivion 28.7K, FO3 14.7K

All the top moddable games are Beth. The next are DA and W3 at 2.6 and 2.3

Little matter if a game is moddable if people are not modding it - for whatever reason. Not to mention a game can be moddable but only in certain areas thus limiting the diversity.

There's no doubt that some individual games are more mod-friendly than others. The reasons you mention all work in favour of the TES games.

My point is, modability is not down to the underlying engine, but more how you build your game on top of that - how you organise the assets, how you structure the data and files to make things accessible, a logical system for how files and records override each other, and so on. I don't think there's any reason to believe that, say, Cryengine or Unreal is any more or less capable of making a mod-friendly game.

wolfgrmdark said:
why does Skyrim and FO4 have such an active and involved modding community, with thousands of diverse mods and the others do not - even if their game is moddable. Is it because Beth games are more mod friendly and easier to mod? Because there is a wider knowledge base (thanks to the same engine being used a lot which is a fact many bemoan but has the plus of being familiar)?

Wider knowledge is more impotant imho. A lot of modders stick to the engine they know and to the modding scene where they can easily get answers and solutions. Warhorse need more successfull game with their engine and some support team for modders.

Anyway a few years back everyone was in a frenzy over the Divinity games and the included mod creator, but it never got as large as the two engines I stated above.

BTW Are there some notable bigger mods with new quests for DOS games?

Anyone has a link to that 100 reasons why Skyrim sucks, write up from Vavra? That was hilarious read.

Back
Top Bottom