Realms of Arkania: Blade of Destiny Remake - Released

Is anybody actually playing the remake? If so, does 1.06 make the game stable? I loved RoA, so I want to play this as soon as it reaches a decent patch state. I typically don't like European rpgs as much as American ones, but I think it mostly has to do with the differences between American English and European English. Something is always lost in translation. That said, I own almost every European or American crpg :)

Is anybody actually playing the remake? If so, does 1.06 make the game stable? I loved RoA, so I want to play this as soon as it reaches a decent patch state. I typically don't like European rpgs as much as American ones, but I think it mostly has to do with the differences between American English and European English. Something is always lost in translation. That said, I own almost every European or American crpg :)

With VO, I definitely enjoy the occasional broad American accent (Wizardry 8) more than the very common Cockney or Scottish accents (I'm looking at you, Witcher) ;)

No, like most I stopped playing for the time being. I am following the german boards though, and my impression is clearly to wait - the developers are admittedly working hard at fixes, but the buglist is still huge and growing all the time. So in my opinion: you are better off waiting a couple more weeks.

Thanks guys. I'll give it some time.

I'm still playing SRR, thanks to my compulsive start-over-itis. I also still have Legends of Dawn to finish, though I'm not sure that I will. I've never played Stalker which sounds kinda Deus-Ex-ish to me, and I liked Deus Ex HR pretty well.

I'm still playing SRR, thanks to my compulsive start-over-itis.

Just play as a Decker, and stick with it. ;)

I've never played Stalker which sounds kinda Deus-Ex-ish to me, and I liked Deus Ex HR pretty well.

Stalker isn't much like Deus-Ex, but it's a very cool game in its own right.

I ignore this newsbit for a few days and it has become a mad house.:)

You guys are lucky were so lax here unless you guys get to unruly. So let it be said keep the posts on topic from now on. Pretty please.:[

1.07 is out:

• Character: Fix hang for All negative attributes mined
  • Character: Recalculate Armor mali on Levelup
  • Trade: Fix free Healers
  • Tavern: Fix wrong dialogs Branches
  • System: Performance Setting impact vastly improved
  • Towns: Improved Animations of the new NPCs
  • Dungeon: Fix Old Bailey Quest
  • Dungeon: Fix empty chests in spidercave (only works with new games as chest status resides in Savegame after first entrance)
  • Camp:: Waterskin refill fixed
  • Dungeon: Fix pirate cave door
  • Camp: Fix Savegame Time forward
  • Towns: Add “Master Dramosh” in front of Old Bailey
  • Towns: Leave House Tooltip fixed
  • Questbook: Actually hide Hidden quests
  • Townmap Rybon fixed
  • System: Fixed Save/Load-Game-Error on with new Characters, old Savegames should work again

1.07 is out:

• Character: Fix hang for All negative attributes mined
  • Character: Recalculate Armor mali on Levelup
  • Trade: Fix free Healers
  • Tavern: Fix wrong dialogs Branches
  • System: Performance Setting impact vastly improved
  • Towns: Improved Animations of the new NPCs
  • Dungeon: Fix Old Bailey Quest
  • Dungeon: Fix empty chests in spidercave (only works with new games as chest status resides in Savegame after first entrance)
  • Camp:: Waterskin refill fixed
  • Dungeon: Fix pirate cave door
  • Camp: Fix Savegame Time forward
  • Towns: Add “Master Dramosh” in front of Old Bailey
  • Towns: Leave House Tooltip fixed
  • Questbook: Actually hide Hidden quests
  • Townmap Rybon fixed
  • System: Fixed Save/Load-Game-Error on with new Characters, old Savegames should work again

Nice is it playable yet then? I haven't even downloaded it yet but just curious.

Last edited:
This game was not on my radar probably because I never played the originals. Own them now but was eye-bleeding difficult to get into so dropped those. I saw this on steam as a recent release and was intrigued and checked this site and glad I did. Unfortunately means I'm not buying it anytime soon and probably not at full price.

The first company I worked for after uni was forced to release version 10.0 of their product but only 1 or 2 customers actually ever saw it. There was legal/fiscal obligations to release by end of the quarter so the product was released with a note recommending that the customers not install it and wait for the next cd. Version 10.1 was released a month later to other customers as well but they had to request it explicitly. Version 10.2 was the wide distribution version which was like 6 months or so later and was ultimately the stable version I guess. However gaming is different from enterprise software in so many ways but similar all the same.

I would really love to know why this game was released. Was it legal? incompetence? just money? At the end of the day both developer and publisher likely lose more money in the long run due to fewer sales and probably at a lower price point than if they waited. Is it the publisher putting pressure on the developer? I often wonder why publishers don't provide project management resources to the developer to protect their investment and get a better idea on progress and probably help the developer make better plans. I know it would be unpopular but sometimes money comes with strings attached.

My guess would be that the budget was skin tight and they were beyond the point of no return, either due to deadlines or empty budget or both.

3 things:

1) The team was already in crunch-time-mode in the last 2 weeks before release.
2) They wanted to prepare a Day 1 patch, but were surprised by the early distribution of the game, so they had to fiddle for a pre-release patch.
3) They hint that something went wrong with the production of the goldmaster, that caused additional bugs.

Murphys law - if something goes wrong it goes really wrong. :(

Not sure that an elaborate post mortem is required, releasing unfinished software is common and if you are a developer you'll have some idea why it happens (look at the similar situation where Coreplay were being pressured to release their game early and the sad result, for instance. Look at Legends of Dawn...). What matters is they are fixing it up. Whether it will be a good game, when fixed, it's hard to say, we'll just have to wait and see.

I'm having a hard time believing the goldmaster excuse being the source of everything but rather just another mistake made along the way. If so then we would be at 1.01 not 1.07a and it would be stable and people would just complain about the bad initial release. Also if they did run out of money then they are still spending more in doing all of this post release fixes.

I understand the pressure from publisher but I dont understand why they allow a botched release. I have to believe it hurts sales way more than holding off. I suppose being able to collect the preorder funds and initial sales help alleviate cash flow issues it does come with long term cost. I guess its just a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

Back
Top Bottom