Do NOT download/ install latest Windows 10 update, you may lose files

another bug too showed its ugly face today, selecting a file, choosing SoundForge to be default to open .wav's with doesnt work either.
That's pretty weird. Well, if it's being a bother, you can use the Send To system instead. That's probably better for that program anyway because you won't have to set it for .wav AND for .mp3 AND for .ogg AND for whatever else you've got.

I got that fixed. I found a setting in the program itself and .wav was not selected in "use program to open…". Very strange, hasn't happened in all the years i've used it.

Hmm never thought about using "Send to".. how do i add something to it, it doesnt have soundforge just the defaults i guess; HDD's, email.. having both "open with" and "send to" set to 2 different programs would be pretty great.

I'm still using Windows 7.
And any time I read articles like this, I know why.

Hmm never thought about using "Send to".. how do i add something to it…
Windows-R to run something. Put in shell:sendto and run it.

A folder opens up with a bunch of shortcuts.

Delete the ones you don't want (like fax to)

Make shortcuts to programs you want to send things to.

Like I said above, this works really well for programs that can handle a lot of different file types. I put a shortcut to Notepad in there first thing when I get a computer/OS. Irfanview and Notepad++ are also good to have in that folder. If it's just one or two file types, though, it's better to do the Open With thing.

SendTo will work for any program that takes a file as a command line parameter. If you aren't sure if a program does that, you can just drag a file to the program's .exe file and see if it automatically loads when it starts up. Most programs that load files will support it.

There's more to the title story. Or should I say, spinoff.
https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/windows-10-version-1809-sees-another-data-loss-issue.html
Windows 10 version 1809 sees another data loss issue

Though the impact this time is far less extensive, a new bug is plaguing users of the new the October Update of Windows 10, files again disappear. The updated OS seems to be making mistakes when extracting zip files, it quietly overwrites or even deletes files.

It seems that only the built-in zip function of Windows is affected, so the advice is to use a third-party program until there is a solution.
LOL

Bad zip extracts?? That seems exceedingly strange. That function has been in Windows for a decade plus, why would they be... OH!! Maybe the extraction is fine but somebody has been fiddling with the prompt? Like finally fixing it so the prompts don't show up BEHIND windows half the time?? Jeez, if so, I hope they fix it by fixing it instead of just backing out the change. That bug has been ticking me off for years.

Back
Top Bottom