Kingdom Come: Deliverance - Tip and Tricks -

It has been a long time since I played Witcher 1. I liked it, apart from the ridiculous bed scenes (cards) with the female characters.
Hm… that seems to be all I can remember now from the game. Hahaha.
Maybe you should just try Witcher 3. :)

I tried the Witcher 1 three times and could never get past the first city (just past the village).
Any hope for me ?

Its hard to answer that question without knowing why you couldn't get pass the first city :)

Its hard to answer that question without knowing why you couldn't get pass the first city :)

I didn't like the combat, I didn't find the progression felt like real progression either (especially with regards to loot). I wasn't a fan of Geralt's personality (macho, womaniser as default).

I really liked the NPCs (for example, the dwarf and Scoiatel) and many of the quests seemed interesting.

I didn't like the combat

Combat is definitely better in W3. Its more "action" combat so and similar to souls games. Need to do lot of dodge etc. Its lots of fun.

I didn't find the progression felt like real progression either (especially with regards to loot).

I think loot progression is better in W3 but I think it still has issues. Its not great compared to other similar "action" games. Loot progression isn't one of w3 strong point.

I wasn't a fan of Geralt's personality (macho, womaniser as default).

Same old Geralt in W3 as well but more matured and refined.

I really liked the NPCs (for example, the dwarf and Scoiatel) and many of the quests seemed interesting.
W3 is much much better in these aspect than the previous ones which were much much better than many other games.

I think any "true" fans of RPG have to play W3 :)

Combat is definitely better in W3. Its more "action" combat so and similar to souls games. Need to do lot of dodge etc. Its lots of fun.

I think loot progression is better in W3 but I think it still has issues. Its not great compared to other similar "action" games. Loot progression isn't one of w3 strong point.

Same old Geralt in W3 as well but more matured and refined.

W3 is much much better in these aspect than the previous ones which were much much better than many other games.

I think any "true" fans of RPG have to play W3 :)

Thank you Lost.
Would you say I should give TW2 a try first or go to TW3 ?

Thank you Lost.

TW2 is very dark. I had to make decisions, and there was only one I really cared about. In the others I disliked my choices and in every faction it seemed there were scores of horrible people. Plus it is by far the most linear Witcher.
TW3 has much more likable characters and in my opinion a better story, even if at times it is dark. Still you actually get to help people who you find yourself wanting to help. There is only one part of the game that discusses the past, and here you can "create" your own past, which does mean there are a couple of quests with npcs that may be affected by things you did in the past. These are largely side quests. The main story still makes perfect sense without having played TW2.
Because of TW2 I waited 3 years to buy TW3, and wasn't expecting much, but other people really liked TW2, so I guess its just a matter of taste.

TW2 is great. It probably has the greatest degree of C&C I've seen in an RPG, and the graphics, which were absolutely stunning when it was released, still look really good by current standards.

All of the Witcher games are dark by nature because they take place during a period of war in a world that is already pretty grim. It's one of my favorite aspects of the series. If you want a light-hearted fairy tale, look elsewhere.

You certainly don't need to play the first 2 games to enjoy TW3, but I think it's more fun if you do and import your saves. Fwiw, TW2 is fairly short by RPG standards and doesn't require a huge time investment.

My take and I know I missed listing a few things.:biggrin:

Witcher 1 - Good Story, Hard to Master Combat, Dark & Linear Campaign.
Witcher 2 - Good Story, Better Combat, Dark & another Linear Campaign.
Witcher 3 - Good Story, Improved Combat. Dark & Semi-Open World Campaign,

So I recommend all three but a beginner should start with Witcher 2.

Thank you Lost.

It would be nice to have played W2 for some plot points but not required at all. W3 is very self contained.

Since when are halberds in the game? For all I know those are completely bugged and removed - there are mods that enable their use but your savegame risks corruption.
They missed one. When I was thinning the ranks at Runt's camp, I noticed it on the ground after stealth killing one of the patrol guards.

Best suggestion I can give is not going for it before you level thieving abilities (pickpocket/lockpicking) skyhigh. Getting a point or two in alchemy and literacy prior to it is also nifty.
I barely have any pickpocketing. Lockpicking is just… strange. The Monestary has the first ever lock I have seen that is "hard" to pick. Every other lock I've seen in the world is ither "very easy" or "very hard"! I'm picking tons of very easy locks (and ignoring the box contents) but its taking eons to advance.

Money has gotten pretty silly, though. I think I've got 24K now. The armorer in Rattay doesn't seem to spawn cash at all now so I need to sell in Sausau (sp?). If I bump into the miller that teaches lock picking again, I should spend a bit to train it.

Oh, another thing you can't do at the monestary: save. Your potions are taken from you and there's no belladonna to be found to brew up your own (or to make night vision).

P.S. Witcher 2, linear campaign!? That's got a HUGE branch! I actually kept two saves and went back and forth between them for some time.

TW2 is great. It probably has the greatest degree of C&C I've seen in an RPG, and the graphics, which were absolutely stunning when it was released, still look really good by current standards.

All of the Witcher games are dark by nature because they take place during a period of war in a world that is already pretty grim. It's one of my favorite aspects of the series. If you want a light-hearted fairy tale, look elsewhere.

You certainly don't need to play the first 2 games to enjoy TW3, but I think it's more fun if you do and import your saves. Fwiw, TW2 is fairly short by RPG standards and doesn't require a huge time investment.

Getting a little back on topic Kingdom Come: Deliverance also "takes place during a period of war and is pretty grim" but I actually care about a number of characters in that game and want to know how it ends. Yes there are plenty of unpleasent people in that game too.

I also felt that way about the Witcher 1 (which has one of the memorable plot twist endings (along with Kotor and Planescape:Torment)) and the Witcher 3.

In the Witcher 2 really the only one I cared about was Triss. I really felt apathetic about the rest of the people killing each other, so the story just didn't reach me emotionally. I know, I'm in the minority. I don't need fairy tales, but I don't like stories where I have a hard time sympathising with anyone. You should play Serpents in the Staglands. That's another game that was too grimdark for me.

Getting a little back on topic Kingdom Come: Deliverance also "takes place during a period of war and is pretty grim" but I actually care about a number of characters in that game and want to know how it ends. Yes there are plenty of unpleasent people in that game too.

I also felt that way about the Witcher 1 (which has one of the memorable plot twist endings (along with Kotor and Planescape:Torment)) and the Witcher 3.

In the Witcher 2 really the only one I cared about was Triss. I really felt apathetic about the rest of the people killing each other, so the story just didn't reach me emotionally. I know, I'm in the minority. I don't need fairy tales, but I don't like stories where I have a hard time sympathising with anyone. You should play Serpents in the Staglands. That's another game that was too grimdark for me.

We all play games for different reasons I guess. I don't feel like I have to sympathize with the characters to enjoy a game. That said, I personally found quite a few of the characters in TW2 interesting. Letho in particular. King Hensaelt, Dethmold, Vernon Roche, Triss, Dandelion, and Zoltan were all memorable to me as well.

The story was so well written though that I think I would have still enjoyed it even if I had found the characters less interesting.

I am necroing this thread as I just started playing this today for the first time.

I have to say the game is quite engrossing to me. I think it hits a lot of right buttons. And like others have said it has some niggles that are not very interesting to me gameplay wise.

For example, the save function is really a waste of time.

However, the atmosphere, the dialogue, the majority of the game feels very immersive. I'll probably keep going as I just arrived at the miller in Rattay.

A new tip from me is to certainly go with the flow. Don't reload after every decision (unless something goes really wrong). The game seems too long to do that in a fun way.

I found the save and inventory restrictions unnecessary so sorted a mod for that and the game played fine after that, enjoyed it.

Remember not to go freeroam before you get yourself a horse.
It'll be given to you. Not a temporary one you can steal, that one is not yours.

Yes I always shove off the main story after the first main quest and go exploring, but in this game, you need that horse, thus the "hint".

I'm also thinking about starting this soon with my new computer that can handle it. Would people recommend all the DLC's and is the combat as hard as people say it is?

I'm also thinking about starting this soon with my new computer that can handle it. Would people recommend all the DLC's and is the combat as hard as people say it is?
I recommend all of the DLC and it should all be included in the GOTY version. Remember most of the DLC wont be playable from the start. As you unlock it as you play.

A Woman's Lot should be available right after the you finish the prologue. Now as for combat ho boy it's not a cakewalk, and it gets harder as you level up.

Have to give the developer credit for making a real combat simulator. You just can't swing a sword and expect to hit. It's all about timing and changing angles of attack.

Here a video guide for beginners. It can get confusing but the game has trainers.

I don't have any DLC, as I looked through them and none of them seemed interesting to me.
Game is already 100 hours long or something so I'll be struggling to complete as it stands. More content is not always good for me.

Regarding combat, I have only fought off a few starter bandits and not had any issues. I still need to learn how blocking works properly, but no real problems. I tend to start with a jab and then go for stronger attack after that. A bit like boxing.

All DLC are good in KCD, get them.
Speaking of which, don't rush the tournament. Get some good gear and hone your melee skills. And of course, levels.
Not saying you need to wait for the game finale before joining, just don't bother with it earlygame.

Back
Top Bottom