Cyberpunk 2077 - E3 Trailer

Weird but it's just a short summary. Nothing to get worried about.:)

Anyway guess we can say Fallout 4 wasn't an RPG either based on game-play.

Yeah, I'm not to worried about it....though it's strange like they want it to be in the short and long text....usually a game screams about it's rpg parts...this is the opposite.

I suspect there might not be as many RPG elements as they had originally planned, but I'm fine with that.

What matters to me is how immersive the overall experience is. I'm pretty confident that whatever elements may have been removed were removed because CDPR felt like they ultimately didn't add to the experience. I don't want RPG elements just for the sake of having them.

I think I'm getting old. Looks like Watch dogs set in the future with implants. Yawn. So sick of implants.

I think I'm finally ready to sit down and play turn based games. So sick of shooters and carnage.

Weird in the description on steam it says: Cyberpunk 2077 is an open-world, action-adventure story set in Night City, a megalopolis obsessed with power, glamour and body modification. You play as V, a mercenary outlaw going after a one-of-a-kind implant that is the key to immortality.

Nothing about it being an RPG.

What does it have to have for you to consider it an RPG? It has character creation (visually and in terms of background and stats/skills), character advancement, NPC interaction, use of skills in the environment, quests (or missions or whatever you want to call them), a story focus (and both side content and a critical path), choices about how to go about those quests..... they've said it's an RPG. They make RPGs. They do not have to write those letters in that blurb for it to be an RPG. An RPG by any other name would play as sweet.

The tag doesn't really matter. People can call the game what they want, and it affects me and my enjoyment exactly zero point zero. What I'm wary is about a very simple rule in publicity and advertising. CDPR pays top dollar to some people who have studied careers about deciding what image they want to project for a product, how they want to sell that image so that it builds hype and excitement for the public, because a very high percent of the sales are down to that image and publicity. We're tired of seeing atrocious games selling well simply down to good hype videos and publicity.

That video up there isn't just some random video someone picked to be played, like it could have been anything else. It's a very studied and conscious choice. And that choice about the image they want to show of CP2077 is shootouts and car pursuit scenes.

I suggest looking up from this same company their Witcher's 3 E3 trailer a few years back. That video literally screams of epic RPG, I still get the goosebumps when I rewatch it. What they've shown about CP2077 screams of CyberGTA. In any case, I'm probably worrying over nothing and CP2077 will be a fantastic RPG, and I sure hope so for my own benefit.

The tag doesn't really matter. People can call the game what they want, and it affects me and my enjoyment exactly zero point zero. What I'm wary is about a very simple rule in publicity and advertising. CDPR pays top dollar to some people who have studied careers about deciding what image they want to project for a product, how they want to sell that image so that it builds hype and excitement for the public, because a very high percent of the sales are down to that image and publicity. We're tired of seeing atrocious games selling well simply down to good hype videos and publicity.

That video up there isn't just some random video someone picked to be played, like it could have been anything else. It's a very studied and conscious choice. And that choice about the image they want to show of CP2077 is shootouts and car pursuit scenes.

I suggest looking up from this same company their Witcher's 3 E3 trailer a few years back. That video literally screams of epic RPG, I still get the goosebumps when I rewatch it. What they've shown about CP2077 screams of CyberGTA. In any case, I'm probably worrying over nothing and CP2077 will be a fantastic RPG, and I sure hope so for my own benefit.

Doubt you can really "advertize" rpg, espec to larger audience. You can highlight narrative branching and c&c ( not all that different from adventure games, like Detroid), but skill trees/stats/etc are not something that you get people really excited about. ( You can see this in every modern ARPG trailer)

Now for this: they said it will have/what was shown
- stats
- skills
- perks
- cyberware ( ofc)
- world progression ( in form of street cred…as you unlock fixers, quests, access to locations, equipment)
- character backgrounds ( by the sound of it seems something similar to Dragon Age Origins or deeper first Mass Effect)
- extensive char customization ( race, body, face, skin mods, etc)
- narrative branching with a lot of player agency/decisions and player skills involved
- ( from what I hear) pretty extensive reactivity to male/female protagonist

What will likely not have:

- deep ( when it comes to mechanics) faction system ( you play pretty much as loner: you will do jobs, but not work explicitly for them)
- huge variety of personality dialogue options ( seems V is lot more predefined)
- extensive dialogue skill checks ( based on some devs responses, they will be automatic)
- full on pacifist route

To me this seems, easily at least on par/or better than New Vegas or Bloodlines ( guessing these are the "deepest" ARPGs to date)

What does it have to have for you to consider it an RPG? It has character creation (visually and in terms of background and stats/skills), character advancement, NPC interaction, use of skills in the environment, quests (or missions or whatever you want to call them), a story focus (and both side content and a critical path), choices about how to go about those quests….. they've said it's an RPG. They make RPGs. They do not have to write those letters in that blurb for it to be an RPG. An RPG by any other name would play as sweet.

It has nothing to do with me considering it an RPG or not. In this case they did not say it is an rpg in their own advertising....that's it...I commented on what they said not on what I was thinking of it. It was interesting choice on their part.

Some of you need to calm down a bit on what you think is an attack on the game, I was merely commenting on their advertisement for the game, ala their steam page which they make.

I remember two trailers released for Witcher 3: Killing Monsters and A Night to Remember. Both were beautiful pieces of work, but they also both centered around violent conflict consistent with the setting and character. They didn't showcase investigation. They didn't showcase NPC interaction. They didn't showcase exploration. They showcased beating the shit out of some Nilfgardians/a vampire, respectively. Cyberpunk 2077 is set in a futuristic city. Technology, including guns and cars and mantis blades, are part of that setting. There's really no functional difference. They both show action centered parts of a game that, just like Witcher 3, will not be 100% action.

What will likely not have:

- deep ( when it comes to mechanics) faction system ( you play pretty much as loner: you will do jobs, but not work explicitly for them)
- huge variety of personality dialogue options ( seems V is lot more predefined)
- extensive dialogue skill checks ( based on some devs responses, they will be automatic)
- full on pacifist route

To me this seems, easily at least on par/or better than New Vegas or Bloodlines ( guessing these are the "deepest" ARPGs to date)

Some kind of faction allegiances would be cool. I don't know if we can tell whether it has some element of that or not. There may be decisions that lock out jobs for some groups/individuals while opening up jobs for others.

CDProjekt Red has never done a huge variety of dialogue options. Most conversations in the Witcher 3 have a couple, maybe three. I think V will be less defined than Geralt is/was.

Automatic skill checks make sense in some cases. If you have a skill in some technical area and the conversation is about that technical area, it makes sense that I wouldn't have to consciously apply my knowledge to that situation. (In other cases, it would make sense for alternative approaches when more than one applicable skill is possessed). We'll have to see how that works. As long as there ARE disparate skills to have or not have and they affect choices/outcomes, I don't think it's important that we click on them.

I believe they've said a pacifist route is unlikely or outright not happening. Which is fine. That doesn't fit every game. It's a violent world and you're a mercenary. The Witcher games certainly don't have pacifist routes. As long as there are numerous opportunities to do things in non-violent ways, I'll be content.

Now for this: they said it will have/what was shown
- stats
- skills
- perks
- cyberware ( ofc)
- world progression ( in form of street cred…as you unlock fixers, quests, access to locations, equipment)
- character backgrounds ( by the sound of it seems something similar to Dragon Age Origins or deeper first Mass Effect)
- extensive char customization ( race, body, face, skin mods, etc)
- narrative branching with a lot of player agency/decisions and player skills involved
- ( from what I hear) pretty extensive reactivity to male/female protagonist

No word on stealth yet? I keep waiting to hear how that will work. Like if there's an actual skill/perk or if it's as simple as staying out of their line of sight.

Depends what you consider an ARPG. Personally, I'd include all of Bethesda's and Piranha Bytes RPGs. In that case, I doubt it's going to be as deep as something like Daggerfall.

Depth doesn't automatically make something better though. There have been plenty of redundant skills and stats over the years.

I remember two trailers released for Witcher 3: Killing Monsters and A Night to Remember. Both were beautiful pieces of work, but they also both centered around violent conflict consistent with the setting and character. They didn't showcase investigation. They didn't showcase NPC interaction. They didn't showcase exploration. They showcased beating the shit out of some Nilfgardians/a vampire, respectively. Cyberpunk 2077 is set in a futuristic city. Technology, including guns and cars and mantis blades, are part of that setting. There's really no functional difference. They both show action centered parts of a game that, just like Witcher 3, will not be 100% action.

Let me refresh your memorty then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDfa1Qp2SwA

That's the E3 trailer.

The videos you speak about were really teasers, although they were very well done too. I think it also matters that the setting in the Witcher is fantasy and Cyberpunk is confined to a futuristic city. Honestly, it may just be that the setting is not for me, because I've never been particularly mindblown about Deus Ex games (in fact, couldn't play more than couple hours in any of them) while a lot of people praise them. In the other hand, I loved Shadowrun games, especially Dragonfall, and those have a setting arguably similar to CP2077.

I really want to like this game because the Witcher is one of my favourite franchises and a RPG coming from that studio has to be great. Time will tell, it's still early.

No word on stealth yet? I keep waiting to hear how that will work. Like if there's an actual skill/perk or if it's as simple as staying out of their line of sight.

Depends what you consider an ARPG. Personally, I'd include all of Bethesda's and Piranha Bytes RPGs. In that case, I doubt it's going to be as deep as something like Daggerfall.

Depth doesn't automatically make something better though. There have been plenty of redundant skills and stats over the years.
Instead of Bobo…
I have no idea if stealth exists in CP setting although a stealthy peeping tom journalist would be my first choice for some serious roleplay here as, cmon it's cdprojekt which means boobs. :D And all other kinds including robotic nudity of course.

Dunno about others, A in ARPG means absolutely nothing to me and usually I read it as not turnbased nor rtwp gameplay. Which, if I'm correct in decyphering, is retarded - I like (or dislike) any combat system depending how fun it is in a game.
All I know is that it says nothing about the most important thing to me: the story.

About depth in videogames of any kind we can write memoirs. It all comes down to CEO Morgan of any company.
Mainstream hates depth and publishers know it. It's the publisher's choice if they'll fund products for pigs (cowclickers by Zynga) or some art actual gamers will appreciate. Sadly, developers have to pay bills and noone asks them if they want to paint Mona Lisa or spam the market with kindergarden drawings.

Don't care how much it skews to action or RPG (and hopefully stealth), I'm expecting both to be well done. But these kinds of trailers..... it's a CGI short film. I know most of you agree with what I'm about to say, but still, just show the gameplay.

Knew someone will ask it, didn't know it already happened 3 days ago. :D
https://twitter.com/CyberpunkGame/status/1137954359768076289

pic.jpg

Who cares what William Gibson thinks? He sounds resentful about the attention that Pondsmith and Cyberpunk are getting. I probably would be too if I were him.

Almost everyone who responded to his tweet disagrees with it.

I'm pretty sure Mike Pondsmith would disagree. The game is specifically based on Cyberpunk 2020 which William Gibson is certainly no authority of. :)

I get that some fans of the genre still worship Gibson because he wrote a cyberpunk-themed book 35 years ago, but saying he's an authority in this matter is like saying Ridley Scott is an authority because he directed Blade Runner a full 2 years before that.

Sorry, I didn't mean to send you into full William Gibson fanboy mode. ;)

Again, CD Projekt is making a game based specifically on Cyberpunk 2020, a fact I mentioned in my last post that you conveniently ignored. No one cares what kind of authority Gibson thinks he is when it comes to cyberpunk in general.

I think we know who the Fanboy is here, and same with all those dissing on Gibson's opinion - the guy who invented the genre. Basically they all had to check Wikipedia to see who he was. Lord help anyone who comes remotely close to criticizing precious CD Project Red.

You could read what Gibson said about Blade Runner but I'll just tell you he feared comparisons - he was in the middle of another rewrite when he saw the movie (the look of Blade Runner was taken a Moebius comic in Heavy Metal called The Long Tomorrow, as well 100 other Sci-Fi movies including Star Wars, Alien, and the Fifth Element)

In fairness to Gibson, which no one gives him, he downplayed it was just his opinion. He didn't actually diss it - he said he thought the first trailer looked more like GTA then Cyberpunk, which a lot of people did. And its nicer than what Asimov thought about Lucas and his robots.

I must admit that the cyberpunk setting dpesn't really appeal to me, I prefer fantasy or far future sci-fi in my RPGs. I did not enjoy Deus Ex - I played the last 2, but stopped each after about 10-15 hours. Compare that to the ME and Witcher games, with hundred(s) of hours each…. Nothing I have seen in the previews excites me at all - in fact, the cybernetic implants look almost identical to Deus Ex, weird seams on face and body parts, stylised robotic limbs … almost like the same teams created the models. Anyway,I'm sure i will be a huge success for them - and hopefully they'll make a game that I am keen on after that.

I think we know who the Fanboy is here, and same with all those dissing on Gibson's opinion - the guy who invented the genre. Basically they all had to check Wikipedia to see who he was. Lord help anyone who comes remotely close to criticizing precious CD Project Red.

No, by all means, tell us who the fanboy is here. :)

I'm not sure who had to check Wikipedia to see who William Gibson was, but it wasn't me. I still think he sounded a little resentful there, but you can believe what you like.
Even if he didn't mean it that way, it doesn't change the fact that he's no authority on a Cyberpunk 2020 crpg.

The funniest thing to me about Gibson worshippers is how you keep parroting that he's "the guy who invented the genre" as if he did it entirely by himself. There's no doubt he was probably the single biggest influence on cyberpunk in the 80s and 90s, but he certainly didn't invent the genre even if he did coin some of the more popular terminology used in it. The origins of cyberpunk go back a lot further than Neuromancer, but I'm surprised I'd need to point that out to someone who's as knowledgeable as you about the subject. ;)

No, by all means, tell us who the fanboy is here. :)

Not to get in to the middle of your chat.

But it would not offend me if someone called me a CDprojekt Red fanboy.

They have release 3 games that I have played each of at least twice or more.

Until they let me down like 95% of all other gaming companies....Have at it..

Yep, same here. They gave me 3 great games (+2 big extensions), each better than the previous with Blood & Wine being one of my favourite gaming experiences.
So I personally give them the benefit of the doubt in regards to CP77. I'm positive that I'll have a lot of fun with the game.

Back
Top Bottom