Mass Effect - New Game in Development? - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Mass Effect - New Game in Development?

Default Mass Effect - New Game in Development?

November 20th, 2019, 13:03
Noobfeed reports on a Kotaku story that mentioned a new Mass Effect game maybe in development.

Mass Effect Andromeda released in 2017 to mixed reception. The most predominant criticisms were that the game's stability was poor and the story lacked the quality of the previous trilogy. However, after breaking the story that Anthem was undergoing a massive overhaul Kotaku also reported that a new Mass Effect game is in development.

[…]
More information.

Silver

Spaceman
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)

November 20th, 2019, 13:20
But is Bioware still in cRPG business? Im not sure they still do games I like.
--
"The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence."

Charles Bukowski

Andrew23

Sentinel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

November 20th, 2019, 14:13
That's what DA4 and ME5 will show.
--
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
- George Bernard Shaw

Currently playing: -

Morrandir

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
+1:

November 20th, 2019, 17:31
I thought Andromeda was a good game. Not perfect, but very well worth playing. The thing is, jumping on the EA hate Bandwagon has been a popular sport as of late, especially in hipster sites such as RPG Codex and to some extent, RPG Watch itself.

Anthem was a legit failure however. They need to bounce back and produce something very good, and here's hoping that they will. I don't care where good games come from, the ultimate winner from having more good AAA RPGs released are the players who get to enjoy them.

Nereida

Watchdog

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
+1:

November 20th, 2019, 18:08
I enjoyed Andromeda. Some facial animations were wonky. Big Deal. Overall, I liked it as much as I like Mass Effect in general. The backlash against this game was way out of proportion to its actual failings.

That being said, I had and have zero interest in Anthem, and wonder if the direction of Bioware these days combined with the creative/brain drain they've experienced has doomed them to irrelevance going forward. I'm wondering something similar about Bethesda Game Studios. It's going to be interesting to see what the next couple of releases from these companies look like.

JFarrell71

Sentinel

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

November 20th, 2019, 18:29
I agree with the comments above.

In my view Andromeda was a very enjoyable game, not great like ME2 and ME3 were but still good. I had exactly zero interest in Anthem when it was announced through now, so hopefully they will get back to creating good single-player games.

NFLed

Keeper of the Watch

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

November 20th, 2019, 18:34
Originally Posted by Nereida View Post
jumping on the EA hate Bandwagon has been a popular sport as of late, especially in hipster sites such as RPG Codex and to some extent, RPG Watch itself.
For all I know EA hating bandwagon is the worldwide thing not site specific.

ME4 hate bandwagon never happened on rpgwatch. IIRC all of us did criticize what was pathetic design (cringy writing, tasks and mmo world in a singleplayer), but also noted the game during actual missions is fun and underrated by critics.

What happened on hipster sites… Who cares?
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)

November 20th, 2019, 20:52
Well I do hate EA as any already know, but I still enjoy BioWare games. I just hope the next two games are not further shifted into the live service always online model.

Anyway from another thread I posted in.
Dragon Age - Inquisition -Despite the popular opinion of this forum it sucks I still enjoy it and replayed many times. As said already it's much better then Dragon Age 2.

Mass Effect - Andromeda -
Another game that most have a negative opinion of but I enjoyed re-playing it again. It's also the last BioWare game I enjoyed.
--
“Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by
lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something.” ― Robert Heinlein

Couchpotato

Lazy Layabout

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)

November 20th, 2019, 21:00
I wasn't hyped enough to play Andromeda but I'm still hoping next ME and DA games will be worth playing. I'm a bit fan of ME universe and it will be sad to see it die.
--
Favourite RPGs: Baldur's Gate II, NWN: The Aielund Saga, Pathfinder: Kingmaker, Icewind Dale I, Stardew Valley

purpleblob

Princess

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)

November 20th, 2019, 21:18
They'll need a much better effort than ME:A to win back the audience share.

rjshae

Periapt vs Paronomasia
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

November 20th, 2019, 21:24
ME: Andromeda was a bloated game full of mediocre filler content. It wasn't terrible, but it could have been so much better. If they do indeed make another ME title, I hope it's a shorter, more focused game.

It's hard for me to get excited over anything announced by Bioware nowadays.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)

November 20th, 2019, 21:32
Shorter? A story that's supposed to be epic? How, man, how? It ain't no Doom!

Actually I wish they remake the original trilogy in CDpr's or Square's FF15 engine as one game only without Arrival DLC but with everything else that was cut out and sold separately. No I don't care if stupid sonar or if horrible RGB ending stays. I'd preorder it.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

November 20th, 2019, 23:36
I thought we knew this, already? Either way, at best it's pre-production and we won't see it until 2024-5.

ChaosTheory

Virtual Reality Hero
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

November 21st, 2019, 02:45
I hope they do something good with the setting. I might finish my Andromeda game. Romance the blue lady. Which tends to be the general rule in Bioware Games. I wonder if that is screwing up my ability to recognise genders?

mat9813004

Watcher

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

November 21st, 2019, 16:42
Originally Posted by mat9813004 View Post
I hope they do something good with the setting. I might finish my Andromeda game. Romance the blue lady. Which tends to be the general rule in Bioware Games. I wonder if that is screwing up my ability to recognise genders?
If anyone is writing a book about the rise and fall of BioWare, "Romancing the Blue Lady" would be a great title.

Capt. Huggy Face

Aging Gamer
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

November 22nd, 2019, 19:16
DA:O - Awesome Game
DA:2 - Awful Game
DA:I - Awright game, with just as much terrible as good, but not as painful as DA:2 to playthrough.

ME1 - Awesome Game
ME2 - Average game which is well overrated.
ME3 - Below Average game, awful sequel.
ME:A - Boring. Not particularly bad, just incredibly dull.

Both series really could do with rediscovering their roots. I doubt Bioware will even entertain that idea though. More than likely both will continue to descend further into Popamoledom.

JDR13 says it spot on. Both these franchizes have evolved into bloated trash (which seems to be the trend now). No idea how anyone can get excited about any more sequels tbh.
--
“All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.”

Falksi

Sentinel

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

November 22nd, 2019, 21:28
I'm excited for the sequels, mainly because I enjoyed all the installments thus far. They weren't all created equally, sure, but they weren't bad.

My only requirements are: a finished game (not 6 months of patching to get it there), no prequel, awesome companions, a sense of exploration, a plausible story & at least 40 hours long if you're going to charge me $60… The rest would be gravy.

ChaosTheory

Virtual Reality Hero
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

November 22nd, 2019, 21:53
Originally Posted by Falksi View Post
ME1 - Awesome Game
For me, all of them were awesome for different reasons.
ME:A was ok.
--
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
- George Bernard Shaw

Currently playing: -

Morrandir

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
+1:

November 22nd, 2019, 22:00
Originally Posted by Falksi View Post
DA:O - Awesome Game
DA:2 - Awful Game
DA:I - Awright game, with just as much terrible as good, but not as painful as DA:2 to playthrough.

ME1 - Awesome Game
ME:A - Boring. Not particularly bad, just incredibly dull.
My take, fwiw:

DA:O - Very solid game but highly derivative and very disappointing as a result for Bioware's much ballyhooed (by them) first world of their own
DA:2 - Lazy game that isn't as bad as its reputation, but still isn't very good.
DA:I - Enough good content in here to make it the best of the series, but bloated with tons of filler…. might still be my favorite

ME1 - This is the overrated one. Short, terrible combat, recycled assets, tedious despite its short length, no meaningful choices (granted, that wasn't evident until later, but they were still meaningless), terrible inventory system
ME2 - best of the series; better companions than 1, more fleshed out/longer, better combat than 2
ME3 - best gameplay, decent all around other than the admittedly beyond weak original ending. I never played their revised ending.
ME:A - Suffers from the DA:I bloat, but again, a solid game with enough good stuff to produce a series highlight if it was stripped down. The backlash was way out of proportion to its quality.

JFarrell71

Sentinel

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

November 22nd, 2019, 22:11
Originally Posted by Morrandir View Post
For me, all of them were awesome for different reasons.
Exactly. For example ME2 had techno loving asari dancers:
loading…

ME3 had a true ending in form of a DLC many people didn't see, sadly.
loading…

And ME4 had one and only one proper dialogue choice that pwned everything (always when possible lower right option):
loading…
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Mass Effect - New Game in Development?