Anthem - Gameplay Demo Video

But isn't it true?

How many Watch members play cooperative multiplayer games on a semi regular basis?

Not me but I do play offline Co-op games with the "optional single player",

Hah there I used the slogan again as I promised.:biggrin:

My latest was Borderlands 1,2 and Dead Island.

Not me but I do play offline Co-op games with the "optional single player",

Hah there I used the slogan again as I promised.:biggrin:

My latest was Borderlands 1,2 and Dead Island.

So, you HAVE tried the forbidden fruit.

No wonder you have all this angst ;)

So, you HAVE tried the forbidden fruit.

No wonder you have all this angst ;)

I have betrayed my principles I know but least those games don't require me to be online to play. Though playing by yourself in Dead Island does not make sense.

Especially the cut-scenes.

I have betrayed my principles I know but least those games don't require me to be online to play. Though playing by yourself in Dead Island does not make sense.

Especially the cut-scenes.

Just imagine if you were secretly online without realising it.

Think of how bad those hours that you enjoyed so much actually were ;)

This is the first Bioware game in which I can honestly say I have zero interest, and it has nothing to do with floating numbers or single vs multi player.

?.? What does floating damage (what you call numbers galore) has to do with game design and tone? I mean outside the game using machine guns which is going to result in faster number popping then in games with swords.
Haha yes, it is just by association. Seeing those floating numbers gives me the feeling of an arcade shooter (and all the design choices that come with it). But you are right, I was exaggerating. It does not have to be that way.

And of course, floating numbers can usually be turned off. (Also, certain other ever so slightly overhyped games also seem to plan for floating numbers … *cough* CP'77 *cough* :p)

I mean, even in these more arcade style RPGs you can often turn them off (e.g., Van Helsing). Which is often a must, because they tend to clutter the screen once hit speeds ramp up.

Ech, I tried a bit of Borderlands II the other day. Dropped it around 10 or so hours after. This "genre" ( if that's what it is) is bit too much in between...not particularly good gameplay/ level designI( like in good FPS), very light "rpg elements", forgettable/non existent story, etc. This one definitely looks the most gorgeous and tech advanced, but still

They'll need to deliver on something here, or it won't survive another Destiny.

This is the first Bioware game in which I can honestly say I have zero interest, and it has nothing to do with floating numbers or single vs multi player.

Side note: I'm not sure why the floating numbers is such a common complaint. It looks fine to me.

On topic: I myself have no intentions of playing the game, but it has been interesting to read of it's updates in passing.

They'll have a very tough time competing with Warframe, crazy how much they've expanded it ( and don't seem to be slowing down).

Plus, it looks way faster, more fluid and intense:

https://youtu.be/CwqrruuQVgs?t=1086

MP games have a limited audience and with them people go with rule of popularity/familiarity ( same way as Overwatch killed Lawbreakers and Battleborn, from the get go).

So you say, but we both know you'll be there day one, pwning noobs, skydiving left and right.
No point denying this. :)

So you say, but we both know you'll be there day one, pwning noobs, skydiving left and right.
No point denying this. :)
BoBo is it so hard to understand a segment of past Bio-Ware fans will not buy or support this game? I have done it before, and will do it again for games I despise.

I can compile a list of games I never played and have no intention to do so.

BoBo is it so hard to understand a segment of past Bio-Ware fans will not buy or support this game? I have done it before, and will do it again for games I despise.

I can compile a list of games I never played and have no intention to do so.

I know, I'm just poking at JDR. It feels it's my duty to do so. ;)

They'll have a very tough time competing with Warframe, crazy how much they've expanded it ( and don't seem to be slowing down).

Plus, it looks way faster, more fluid and intense:

https://youtu.be/CwqrruuQVgs?t=1086

MP games have a limited audience and with them people go with rule of popularity/familiarity ( same way as Overwatch killed Lawbreakers and Battleborn, from the get go).

Warframe is one of the more different looter shooters out there.

I've had some fun with it - and I have more than a hundred hours in it.

But it's ultimately the most hollow, grindy and confused of these games that I've played.

I know it's got a massive fanbase - and I have friends who're crazy about it. But it's clear to me that it takes a certain kind of mindset to be able to enjoy the endlessly repetitive procedurally generated content for as long as most fans seem to do.

It's also the only game I've played where I had to grind for 40-50 hours to even get to play the "class" that I wanted to play.

Division, Destiny and - now - Anthem are much more about bespoke content and they have a very clear paradigm in terms of the gameplay loop.

DE tend to add all sorts of ambitious stuff to Warframe - but a lot of it doesn't really fit well together with the basic formula of shooting and killing. That whole Archwing section of the game is just awful - and even the fans hate it.

This new Railjack thing looks like yet another addition that doesn't particularly gel with the rest of the game.

It's like the Frankenstein monster of looter shooters :)

But, to each his own.

Wow, does anyone find this even halfway interesting?

My interest level kept dropping throughout the video until the shooting started and then I closed the window.

Utterly banal to me.

My interest level kept dropping throughout the video until the shooting started and then I closed the window.

Utterly banal to me.

Bioware's games have been slowly trending in this direction for years. I think the process is simply accelerating now. ;)

Utterly banal to me.
If you closed the video once the shooting started, then you missed the most banal parts of all. Combat in this game seems to consist of rapidly spraying bullets for long periods of time into bullet sponges (aka enemies). One particularly spongy sponge lasts all the way from 15:45 to 18:45 with bullets being pumped into it the whole time, and even when the video ends at 18:45 (with subtitle text "But this battle isn't over yet…") its health is still at around 70%. All of this fine action occurring from within the safety of a metal suit, so you don't even see your character during normal gameplay.

I don't know, I think it has potential.

There's nothing particularly interesting about that video - I would agree, but - then again - there's nothing that particularly turns me away from it. It doesn't go into the kind of stuff I like to know before I can make an informed judgment call.

For this genre, I care more about mechanics, loot diversity, progression diversity and overall content diversity.

There are several games in this genre, but there's still no "king" in terms of doing everything right.

Warframe nails the mechanics and arsenal. Division nails the endgame (if you're into the Dark Zone) and has the most "meaningful" approach to cooperative gameplay and overall setting. Destiny 2 nails the core gameplay and flow of combat. Hellgate nails more than any of the others - but it's too old.

So, I still would like to see the "WoW" of the looter shooter. This could potentially be it - though I really, really doubt it.

It looks a little clumsy and smells more like suits calling the shots - than passionate developers executing upon a powerful vision.

Then again, I also both like and understand the genre. It's a loot-driven and progression-oriented game - and the journey, if you boil it down to its core, is about reducing TTK :)

I take great pleasure in being able to kill things really quickly - and I know people who take great pleasure in being able to survive a lot of hits, and people who enjoy being able to support and help the team when they're hurt.

It's most definitely not a game I would recommend to people who're into the traditional Bioware singleplayer CRPG from yesteryear.

Then again, I don't think anyone seriously expected that from this title.

It's clear that some people are a little over-zealous when demonstrating their indifference - or even indignation - in some cases.

Then again, I understand that Bioware is a very popular target around here and many other places.

Still not sure why, though.

In any case, for ACTUAL fans of this particular genre - my money is on Division 2 as the best of the games on the horizon.

Someone please bring the same news for Anthem too.

Back
Top Bottom