Stoneshard ?

So, I played the demo, and I think it's great for an indie. It sort of reminds me of Antharion, except I think this is going to be better.

Wishlisted it.

So, I played the demo, and I think it's great for an indie. It sort of reminds me of Antharion, except I think this is going to be better.

Wishlisted it.

Something was posted on the codex article that might be of interest to you:

FYI for those interested: Interesting gameplay and good graphics. Only gripe is the inability to save at any point, including on exit. The only place is at a tavern. The dev said in the Steam forums the current game engine doesn't support saving.

As I've regularly seen you bemoan a lack of save points on various game discussions.

Yeah, I saw that, and it does bring it down a notch for me, but the overall quality is enough for me to still be interested. I also found this quote from the dev..

Current save system is the most controversial issue, as it seems from discussions and reviews, and we would like to write a post regarding it soon, explaining the technical reasons behind it and how it will be alleviated in the future with introduction of the Caravan, roadside inns and other possible saving spots. For now, we've decided to adjust renting prices to ease it a bit.

Ehhh, that save feature would kill it for me, unfortunately. I've been tricked into buying too many games with similar functionality. I'll still keep an eye on it, perhaps at some point it will have a real save option.

I'm about 25 hours into it. I normally avoid rogue like games but I spent an hour with it at PAX East and decided to give it a try. Its addictive and atmospheric to say the least. It turns out the "save" system isn't as bad as you might think. The world is stateful until you die or quit the game. So you can clear a path though a forest and a few levels of a dungeon before returning to cash in loot and rest to "save" the game at the inn. Then resume. If you die or quit to the menu your last save is good but the world will respawn (except bosses and completed quest dungeons, they lock up). What I discovered last night is that you can find bandit camps in the wilderness and sleep there to save. So this game is a rogue like but barring death and having to call it quits for the night its completely stateful. Its not an easy game be forewarned. So don't play for hours without resting or the risks are huge!

One note on the economy. It is bleak. But acting like a hunter with bows or magic is lucrative so you can hunt pelts. I used that to fund repairs and magic skill books etc. You can also score meat and cook it in the wild so prepare to forage. Just doing quests and expecting loot to keep you flush with cash in the early game is extremely tough. So anyway - its a great game for me and bear in mind I don't like the rogue like model so that's an endorsement.

The save feature sort of eliminates some save scumming but at the cost of losing some game progression. Not really a good feature. Hehe.

The save feature sort of eliminates some save scumming but at the cost of losing some game progression. Not really a good feature. Hehe.

What progression is lost? The camp I discovered this AM is still there. I put a cheap staff in the chest there to see if it’s safe storage. I’ll let you know on that later because it would make a great cache for consumables if so. I do have to clear the path to it again because I quit out but they aren’t getting any stronger and I am.

Finished 2 of the 3 contracts in the first area. Great suspense having to clear a dungeon knowing what is at stake. I managed to limp back with a damaged leg with pain so bad it was slowly reducing my near zero health. Out of food, out of medical supplies. This game is very addictive. Oh and watch out for bears damn. Think "The Revenant" you stand no chance at all.

Stoneshard is shaping to be a great little rpg, but it's a little bare bone right now.

It's fun but somewhat unbalanced.
Maybe it has been patch since, but when I played on EA release, archery was completely OP. I just rolled over everything.

What I discovered last night is that you can find bandit camps in the wilderness and sleep there to save.
I didn't know that, that changes everything!
thanks for the tip.

I find archery very useful and its great for managed aggro. But unless I get a ton of crits multiple targets tend to close in fast and I'm in melee. I've entered a dungeon level to face 4 creatures in a room. The ambushes on the road can get pretty hairy if I'm not careful too.

I looked at the patchnote and they nerfed bow damages and accuracy.
Oh well…

I've entered a dungeon level to face 4 creatures in a room.
That's like the worst case scenario for a pure archer.
Something similar happened to me, I tried to flee and had the surprise to see that foes can follow you between zones (like in Baldur's Gate). I died.

A good combo for a range character is archery/geomancy. You can stun and slow foes with the "magic stone pillars thingy" ability then finish them with the bow.

I went pyromancer / bow / sword & shield. I'm not going further into archery now that I found pyromancer skill book #2. I'll keep my bow for hunting and long ranged aggro but I'm now doing strength and willpower. So far so good. Any yes things follow you across regions including the damn bears

What progression is lost? The camp I discovered this AM is still there. I put a cheap staff in the chest there to see if it’s safe storage. I’ll let you know on that later because it would make a great cache for consumables if so. I do have to clear the path to it again because I quit out but they aren’t getting any stronger and I am.

I misunderstood the entire post then. I'm currently engaged with ESO so my extra game time is zero.

I enjoy the types of saves that help discourage save scumming.

You're reaction to my post is why I don't comment.

what? I wasn't being aggressive in my response? I was just describing what I suspected about the camps and then later confirmed they were persistent.

I could do the first two missions no problem. On the third contract most enemies are wearing metal and can survive a whole cocktail of pyro attacks and still reach my mage. About 30 attempts to clear 3rd contract with zero successes. I have 4 pyro attacks in my queue and they do about 200 total damage. Enemies survive that but I have nowhere near that amount of hp and there are generally 2-3 that reach me alive. Since they have dual or triple attacks most of the time I'm toast. I've stopped playing until the spells get a buff. I have zero troubles with my melee guy, but I hate melee.

I'm completely stuck too with a level 6 ranger. There's a bandit stronghold mission (from the second town set of missions) I can't beat. I could go grinding bears in the forest but that's no fun at all...
I think I've seen the extent of what the early access has to offer, I'm gonna put that game on hibernation and wait to see if a great game come out of it in a few years.

Back
Top Bottom