What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread - Page 257 - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

Default What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

February 14th, 2020, 14:56
Whatever Dragon Quest animated movie appeared on Netflix.
I've patiently plodded through it for about 40 minutes and then couldn't bare it any more. I was waiting for puff-puff that never happens. Nothing ever happens to be precise.
And I say, skippit.

Note though that I also hated DQ11 and never played another DQ game. And most probably never will.

EDIT:
Pattinson is a very talented actor. The movies he picks to appear in usually cannot be saved by any display of talent. He should either change his agent or get someone who can instadetect a turd of a script.
Yet another Batman movie, with or without him, simply doesn't interest me.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 172 Post(s)
+1:

February 14th, 2020, 17:06
We re-watched Sense and Sensibility, a movie I last saw in theatre maybe twenty-four or five years ago. The story is one told many times before, but the cast, costuming, and setting are simply outstanding, and make this film totally worth watching. You'll marvel that two hours plus flew by so quickly.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)

February 14th, 2020, 17:42
Pattinson's casting reminds me of Val Kilmer getting the role. Things that make you go, "huh?"

Drithius

Laughing Gnome

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)

February 14th, 2020, 18:59
Originally Posted by Drithius View Post
Pattinson's casting reminds me of Val Kilmer getting the role. Things that make you go, "huh?"
Now there's a blast from the past:

loading…

lackblogger

retired poster
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)

February 14th, 2020, 20:54
But it is easy to look back and second guess. Val Kilmer was an odd choice. George Clooney had people excited, but was trash.

Michael Keaton was still best known for ‘Mr Mom’ when named as Batman (Beetlejuice wasn’t out yet) … and he turned out to be the best Batman of them all.
--
-- Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)

February 14th, 2020, 22:03
Originally Posted by txa1265 View Post
But it is easy to look back and second guess.
I'm not looking back - that's how I felt at the time, just like with Pattinson's casting now.

Time will tell; personally, I think he's too young (and scrawny) to play the part. But he's probably not much younger than Christian Bale in Batman Begins - though I've never been as crazy a fan of that trilogy as most people.

Drithius

Laughing Gnome

+1:

February 15th, 2020, 12:49
Just watched a movie called William from 2019.
Julian Reed and Barbara Sullivan create a Neanderthal baby using ancient Neanderthal DNA from a Neanderthal bog body. William must learn to exist in a world where he is the ultimate outsider, the only Neanderthal on the planet.
The movie portrays what it's like to be alone, and lost among another species outside your time. Add a mother who cares for him, and a father that sees him as nothing but an experiment. You can already guess how it ends. Not good. I'd give it an 8/10 at best.
--
“Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by
lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something.” ― Robert Heinlein
Last edited by Couchpotato; February 15th, 2020 at 13:12.

Couchpotato

Lazy Layabout

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)

February 15th, 2020, 20:42
I saw Parasite yesterday. T'was great. That is all. I also started watched about 10 mins of Uncut Gems, and I love a movie where Adam Sandler gives a fuck about his role, and doesn't just phone it in. He already demonstrated great action chops in other movies, like Punch Drunk Love, and I hope he'll do it more frequently.

danutz_plusplus

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

February 15th, 2020, 23:06
Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post
Just watched a movie called William from 2019.The movie portrays what it's like to be alone, and lost among another species outside your time. Add a mother who cares for him, and a father that sees him as nothing but an experiment. You can already guess how it ends. Not good. I'd give it an 8/10 at best.
Ill skip that one (tags: drama, family), but I have to suggest Border.
This one doesn't end "not good" really.
Very slow, yet exotic, I believe you'll like it because of that William.
Spoiler: the lead pair in this one aren't experiments nor neanderthals, but you'll like that twist.
Requirement: watch it alone.

My thoughts? It had so much potential yet wasted too much of time on filler instead of dealing the fatal blow to the society. Classic drama blueprint, bait the audience but don't make it too uncomfortable. I wish it was reckless to extreme, but that's just my taste.

Originally Posted by lackblogger View Post
Ok… now here's a selection I really wasn't expecting to like:

Black Moon Rising (1986) stars Tommy Lee Jones and Linda Hamilton with Robert Vaughn as the bad guy and also notable are appearances from Bubba Smith and Nick Cassavetes. What's this? The screenplay was by John Carpenter! Wow, what a cast list!

It has a 5.5/10 on IMDB from over 4,800 viewers, lol.

a real hidden gem of that genre. I really enjoyed every minute of it.

I mean, yeah, I can see why it's a 5.5/10 on a scale of every film ever made, but on a scale of video shop 80s action films, this is easily a 7/10, but for me today, with the added weight of all that instant nostalgia that literally drips from every crevice of every scene? Well, I got an 8/10 out of this unexpected wonder.
Because I forgot the most of it but did remember I liked it in the past, didn't comment a few weeks back, but rewatched it.

imdb votes completely failed here. Whoever panned it there should be ashamed. Idiots.

I mean 5/10? This move is above average in every sense of the word, even per today's Hollywood standard. Sure, those huge phones and hair styles look silly, but this movie was never about looks but about a smart script and decent key scenes and it did exactly that. Great performances are just bonus.
The painful finale is a touch of genious.
A mustwatch.

Originally Posted by danutz_plusplus View Post
I also started watched about 10 mins of Uncut Gems, and I love a movie where Adam Sandler gives a fuck about his role
Can't stand comedies with that guy. I wished he never filmed anyting any more after I've watched two, forgot titles.
Now tell me, why should I risk that one and if?
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

February 16th, 2020, 02:00
Another movie I watched today was called Auggie.

loading…

Link - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7596220/

It was the usual man falls in love with an AI. It's mostly about addiction.

I'd give it 7/10 so not a must watch but it was decent.
--
“Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by
lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something.” ― Robert Heinlein

Couchpotato

Lazy Layabout

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
+1:

February 16th, 2020, 02:26
I ended up watching this since it was free on amazon prime.

I'm mixed about the movie as in i'm not sure i liked it or not. That is the acting was well done and I think it is a lot deeper than 'addiction' but I had one fundamental problem with the premise as it relates to the story mover that sort of destroys the movie for myself.

Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post
Another movie I watched today was called Auggie.

loading…

Link - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7596220/

It was the usual man falls in love with an AI. It's mostly about addiction.

I'd give it 7/10 so not a must watch but it was decent.
Last edited by you; February 16th, 2020 at 20:33.

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)

February 17th, 2020, 17:18
I was watching (or trying to watch) the latest Star Wars film and I just couldn't stomach it anymore. It reminded me of something I would have written when I was 8 years old, with senseless contrivances that make absolutely no sense.

Case in point:
  • Our heroic troupe's land speeders get blown out from under them.
  • Said speeders fall apart like Legos, our troupe is perfectly fine, but they've landed in quicksand. Oh no.
  • Quicksand swallows them up, but now they've found themselves in caves underneath the quicksand. Because that's how things work.
  • PLOT TWIST. Caves actually have Sith artifacts that they had just started their search for 5 minutes prior.
  • Luckily, the first thing they run across in this place is a map to the Sith homeworld that Luke had supposedly spent years looking for. Too bad he didn't have Disney's writing team on his side.

Right around now is when I stopped watching. Omg, that was bad. Like 1/10, forced to watch Disney channel w/ my niece bad.

Drithius

Laughing Gnome

February 17th, 2020, 23:47
I was watching (or trying to watch) the latest Star Wars film and I just couldn't stomach it anymore.
I have a thread talking about the Prequel/Sequels - would love to have you jump in there.

But ultimately I agree. Rise of Skywalker was an all-out thrill-ride full of fan-service that completely falls apart the second you begin to think about it and for me has taken down the entire sequel trilogy! Ugh.
--
-- Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)

February 20th, 2020, 00:01
I'm fed up with boasting how much of $ Pikachu, and now Sonic, movies made. Not interested in any of that crap. Y'hear mainstream media (and shills)?

I want to watch, desperately, another videogame2movie adaptation. But it wasn't screening anywhere near me and can't find it on streams. Yet.

loading…

Inspired by the critically acclaimed horror adventure on Steam of the same name.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

February 20th, 2020, 03:07
I saw "The Equalizer" with Denzel Washington. Fantastic action movie, a must see. (the sequel isn't that good though)

And re-watched a great thriller I saw many years ago, "Vantage Point", just a superb thriller about a political assassination, and how the perspective changes and the truth is altered when seen from different angles.

Both of these movies can be rented on Amazon for a pretty cheap price.
--
To check out my games library, and see what recent games I'm playing, visit my steam profile! -- http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197982351404

Arkadia7

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)

February 20th, 2020, 03:18
For better or worse Equalizer 3 is due out one of these years…
-
I don't think Equalizer 2 was a bad movie - it was just a bit slower pace and definitely a more outlandish disjoint story. Hum. Ok ok i guess you said that.

Originally Posted by Arkadia7 View Post
I saw "The Equalizer" with Denzel Washington. Fantastic action movie, a must see. (the sequel isn't that good though)

And re-watched a great thriller I saw many years ago, "Vantage Point", just a superb thriller about a political assassination, and how the perspective changes and the truth is altered when seen from different angles.

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)

February 20th, 2020, 16:20
Originally Posted by Arkadia7 View Post

Lemme disagree on "Equalizer" movies, both are IMO mediocre and would be even worse if Washington wasn't the lead. In other words, not a must see.
Go for "The Commuter" or "21 Bridges" instead.

"Vantage Point" was mentioned before in this thread. It tried to reinvent Rashomon storytelling style by making perspectives nonbiased, but critics for some reason didn't like the result. I do respect it's authors who in idealess copypasting Hollywood dared to try something new, but I refused to watch it because it's not about just any political assassination. It's about USA president assassination which is something I can't care less about, sorry. Well, unless it's FO2 movie. And it isn't.
Because I basically skip USA president movies can't suggest any alternatives. Someone help with suggestions please.
--
Toka Koka
Last edited by joxer; February 20th, 2020 at 16:58.

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

February 25th, 2020, 17:54
I just watched the short film (17 minutes) ‘What did Jack do?’, cast David Lynch, director David Lynch, on Netflix.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt11644096/
First thing that came to me after watching it: ‘Wha… what did I just watch?’
Strange but in a funny way. Entertaining. 7/10.
--
1. It's not what you say - it is the way you say it.
Lovely 2 minute video: 'Change your words, change your world'

2. Getting a YouTube video loaded and other BB codes, see this post

Eye

Eye Watch
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)

March 1st, 2020, 19:55
Seems I've watched quite a few movies lately.

I can't even remember if I've mentioned some of these before, but here goes:

1917 7.5/10

Excellent film. Lovingly crafted - but slightly style over substance.

Parasite 7.5/10

Saw this a few months ago because of an absurdly high rating. I liked it - but wasn't blown away. The twist was neat - but I more or less predicted the ending. I don't think I agree that it's Oscar material. In fact, I know I don't - but it's a good and interesting little film.

Train to Busan 8/10

This was not really what I was expecting or looking for. Didn't find it scary - but I found it very touching and original. Really quite good.

Marriage Story 9/10

Well, it was superb. Fantastic script, fantastic acting - and fantastic pretty much everything.

Midnight Special 7/10

Quite good. Interesting premise. A little on the simple and derivative side - but well executed. I recommend it.

Deep Star Six 5.5/10

For some reason, I never managed to watch this. I'm a big sucker for underwater movies - especially when it's sci-fi horror-ish.

Well, it was overall kinda decent. Some terrible actors and awkward production values aside - this was actually worth a watch. A little below the slightly underrated Leviathan - but not by much.

Doctor Sleep 7/10

Pretty good. I'm not a big fan of The Shining - but I do like it. I think Kubrick is mostly a hoax, to be honest - but what do I know. But this sequel was better than expected - and had some pretty cool stuff in it, and I think King did a great job writing a sequel to his old classic.

StintDArt

Mentioned: Post(s)

March 1st, 2020, 21:14
Meh.

Wanna watch, desperately:
loading…

That's not the only one, I'm excited about Retfærdighedens ryttere, but there's no trailer yet.

Watched The Door finally, after all these years, and it's very good:
loading…
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread