BattleTech - Reviews

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Haven't read the reviews but this seems like the kind of game everyone will get down on their knees and worship, and be very reluctant to criticize. I saw on the Steam forums that people were getting very upset that RPS dared to criticize it. And it *is* a good game (so far), but God. Damn. Is. It. Slow.

They very believably made the exact same mistake as XCOM: every action is bookended by two lingering pauses. Combat literally takes twice as long as it needs to. This is assuming you've already tweaked the sliders to speed up combat, and thank you devs for that at least.

There is a LOT going on in the mech management interface, very complex. There are a few places that could be improved but overall they did a good job conveying a ton of information.

Not my cuppa, but it seems to be a major winner.

I'm enjoying and I still didn't feel it's slow (I've only played around 5-6 hours). But I'm the kind of guy that actually read those flavour info texts rather than the kind that is worried about stats, optimizing and trying to do the most in les time possible. I'm more tactical than stategic.

Anyway, my only problem with the game is that during battle, it makes my GPU go 100% all the time and the game doesn't have the looks that should push my GTX 1080 to it's limit. The consequence is that the fans run faster so it becomes noisier. My guess is bad programming. We can't blame on DRM and such, this time.

There is a hidden DRM scheme.
Haven't read the reviews but this seems like the kind of game everyone will get down on their knees and worship, and be very reluctant to criticize. I saw on the Steam forums that people were getting very upset that RPS dared to criticize it.
GOG reviews are not shy.

I like the animations and all, I saw they could be cut in the options, but hell if I'll do that, I want to see the glory of my mechs blowing the enemy to pieces in slow motion, rotating camera, flying Gandalf's eagle around it.

off topic. Are the winners of the rpg watch give away already known??

10 out of 10 is getting a bit crazy but so far it looks like an 8 or 9 out of 10 to me.

BTW @Gwendo; there are new drivers out from NVIDIA that should help quite a bit. There are a lot of reports about installation problems with 1060 cards but that ain't what you got.

I never understood all the hate for XCOM and the 'stop wasting my time' mod to speed it up.

After what they did with the Shadow Run games, I'm not surprised in the least at these reviews. These folk don't do mediocrity. When I get to this one, I expect to lose some real time.

I am also having fun with the game at the moment but I can already see this is not going to scratch my Xcom itch, this game has only one difficulty setting and it is too easy on it.
For now it is fun because of novelty factor, hopefully later it becomes more challenging or I might lose interest in finishing it.

I am certainly not going to play it again until they give us more difficulty settings.

SP is DRM free (unless you are a backer and want access to backer MECH skins), MP is not.

I am also having fun with the game at the moment but I can already see this is not going to scratch my Xcom itch, this game has only one difficulty setting and it is too easy on it.
For now it is fun because of novelty factor, hopefully later it becomes more challenging or I might lose interest in finishing it.

I am certainly not going to play it again until they give us more difficulty settings.

Most missions are easy, but a couple of story missions are actually difficult.
I have not had full wipes or anything like that, but I give myself one full reload per story mission, none on the standard ones.

Most missions are easy, but a couple of story missions are actually difficult.
I have not had full wipes or anything like that, but I give myself one full reload per story mission, none on the standard ones.
My plan is to do a reload if mission ending NPC dies to some bullshit situation, otherwise I am doing self enforced ironman all the way. I really don't feel like restarting everything just because of one bullshit death.

My verdict not bad but combat quickly gets tiresome as every battle drags on. This will scratch my itch, and hopefully I'll have a proper Battletech RPG to play someday.

Something along the lines of a Space Opera Bethesda RPG with Real-time Mech combat.

Back
Top Bottom