Obsidian - Wants to make another Fallout

Obsidian the studio creating botched games lately and loudly boasting their trainwreck junkware as career success.

Or maybe look at sales for D:OS2.
Turn based games can earn a lot if done well instead of half assed like Pillars of Eternity (I know it is not turn based but it is also latest bigger Obsidian game).

True. D:OS did nice in the sales, but Larian learned a lot. And let's face it: D:OS is a better RPG on all levels. A lot funnier and more compelling than PoE.

On the other hand, Fallout 4, despite being a really bad RPG sold over 5 million copies. And that on PC. It will be fun to watch how many copies will the GOTY sell...

Seriously. Bethesda needs to give up on the friggin Gamebryo. They can rename it as they wish at every new game, but the fact is that they use the same antic engine with some modest improvements and the damn engine shows its age so damn well now.

I've tried hard to like Bethesda's entries in the Fallout series, but i just couldn't. They were too boring for me.

And for a new Fallout made by Obsidian, i have little faith in the possibility that it will happen again anytime soon.

Avellone, not Sawyer, was the Lead Designer on all but Honest Hearts - which is generally considered the weakest of all the DLC with its trite cowboys & indians motif.

Sawyer was the game director and the only lead/systems designer of base New Vegas. John Gonzalez was lead writer and creative designer for the base game. Avellone only has writing credits (on the base game).

I quite liked Fallout 4, the future retro aesthetic, radio stations and absence of silly looking raiders wearing faux roman armour. Fallout 4 has a lot of cinematic moments, such as the introduction of the Brotherhood of Steel and other big bads, most of the stories are structured to facilitate those particular moments. I am not saying its was perfect but I still think it was superior to fallout 3 and the main storyline, as a parental figure looking for their son is quite empathetic.

Sawyer was the game director and the only lead/systems designer of base New Vegas. John Gonzalez was lead writer and creative designer for the base game. Avellone only has writing credits (on the base game).
Sawyer decided to put crazy world as a trait. The Fallout world is supposed to be crazy without any trait - if something needed a trait that's world not being crazy.

Sawyer does not understand what Fallout is.

Sawyer decided to put crazy world as a trait. The Fallout world is supposed to be crazy without any trait - if something needed a trait that's world not being crazy.

Sawyer does not understand what Fallout is.

Joxer does not know what Fallout is. Fallout 1, as envisioned by Tim Cain, was a bleak and harsh setting above everything else. It was primarily with Fallout 2 (which was not lead by Cain), that we get the dumbass goofiness introduced to such a large extent.

Some people like the dorky side of Fallout - and for them, Bethesda is no skin off their backs. Some people such as myself prefer the more grim undertones of the first game - and for them, Bethesda is an absolute bore. It all comes down to preference and so the Wasteland trait was optional in New Vegas - to everyone's benefit.

I still think it was superior to fallout 3 and the main storyline, as a parental figure looking for their son is quite empathetic.

You're not seriously suggesting that the main quest, as set up in FO4, is of benefit to the game are you?

Oh, hey, your wife was murdered in front of you and your kid stolen. Let's go wander around aimlessly and kill some radroaches. It's an absolute joke of story-telling.

Enjoyed Fallout 3 and 4, as well as FNV. and back in the day, Fallout 1 and 2. Consider FNV to be Sawyer's and Obsidian's finest moment.

Am very unhappy that Bethesda has added micro-transactions to Fallout 4, after the fact of purchase. Just… very disappointed in Bethesda at this point.

Back on topic… don't expect to ever see a new Obsidian Fallout, but doubt Obsidian would turn down the opportunity should it ever present itself.
__

Wow to the FO4 story comments. I actually thought the "story" was entirely terrible and the choice/factions abysmal. I could identify with Witcher better than main FO4 character.

Joxer does not know what Fallout is. Fallout 1, as envisioned by Tim Cain, was a bleak and harsh setting above everything else.
Fallout 1 was 2 afternoons needed to finish game prototype, just like recent Mars: War Logs. It needed to evolve and it did. Not to your liking obviously - to me Fallout 2 was #1 till PST appeared and now is on my #3 best game ever spot.

Or perhaps we should somehow ask Tim directly if Fallout is supposed to be batshit crazy or Dark Soulslike "dark and gritty" garbage. Dunno how to contact him though.

I might be 100% wrong here, I want all games to be alive, not dead. Humor is life.
But I still want Sawyer away from future Obsidian projects.

Back
Top Bottom