Lord British - Countdown

Obviously the game is called Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues and a Kickstarter for it will kick off soon.

http://i1.wp.com/ultimacodex.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/20130301-160040.jpg?w=620

I doubt the he would have a big success with some social game on Kickstarter. Either he is doing a successor of Ultima Online or indeed a single player-rpg. By the burdensome name i would assume that it could be a single-player game…
And I think that if he would present a spiritual successor to Ultima 7 on Kickstarter he could be as successful as Chris Roberts with his Star Citizen campaign.

Garriott himself writes:
"Greetings Adventurers!
Fear not! Any “Ultimate RPG” I would be attempting would be first and foremost a PC game (neither console, nor social media). It would be highly story driven as my original trilogy of trilogies. I would hope to also make it such that it can be played multiplayer as well as solo and offline.

– Richard “Lord British” Garriott"

Last edited:
I liked everything until he added "multiplayer"

I can't see anyway to make a game like Ultima Vii a mutliplayer experinace.

"I would hope to also make it such that it can be played multiplayer as well as solo and offline."

Multiplayer part must be completely optional baldur gate style. If he delivers this will be the first kickstarter for me.

It does sound positive.

"Any Ultimate RPG I would be attempting would be first and foremost a PC game (neither console, nor social media). It would be highly story driven as my original trilogy of trilogies."

Not sure what to think of any of it. As a young teenage boy Ultima was, well the greatest think in the world to me. Waiting what seemed to be hours to load a floppy disk on my C64 really didn't seem to be a pain at all. U7 SI was the best time I had playing a game to this day.
All this being said I am not sure when R.G went off his rocker, but if he found his way back I would be interested if it is a single person RPG. Though if it is anything wish him well and no interest..

Obviously the game is called Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues and a Kickstarter for it will kick off soon.

http://i1.wp.com/ultimacodex.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/20130301-160040.jpg?w=620

Garriott himself writes:
"Greetings Adventurers!
Fear not! Any “Ultimate RPG” I would be attempting would be first and foremost a PC game (neither console, nor social media). It would be highly story driven as my original trilogy of trilogies. I would hope to also make it such that it can be played multiplayer as well as solo and offline.

– Richard “Lord British” Garriott"
If "Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues" is indeed the title, it's funny how it even has a sense of regret to it. "Forsaken Virtues" could be interpreted as his straying from the original Ultima fanbase / gameplay style. So the game might really be all about returning to his roots.

Who knows... but I'm cautiously optimistic based on his last statement. Even a new version of the Ultima Online concept would be fine by me, though I'd love to see a return to the original single-player gameplay.

Should be a main page news post by now.

Back
Top Bottom