Recettear - Review @ Manapool

skavenhorde

Little BRO Rat
I've been on the fence about Recettear. It's fun, but it is annoying as well. Manapool summed up the experience that is Recettear rather well. http://www.manapool.co.uk/recettear-an-item-shops-tale-review/You can read the full review here.

Carpe Fulgur is the new localisation company which is responsible for creating the amusing translation from EasyGameStation’s original Japanese indie game to the English version. The characters are charmingly brought to life and each is charming in its own way, from the cheapskate Louis, your first adventurer who is always complaining about being skint (but actually becomes one of your best customers if you treat him right), to the drunken thief Charme who loves trying to get a rise out of the always very “proper” Tear. Without their humour, the game would probably have fallen flat in the Western market so all credit to Carpe Fulgur – we look forward to seeing their future work! The only small criticism I had of the localisation was that their throwing in the odd French word, such as Tear’s frustrated cries of “Merde!” or referencing Recette as Mademoiselle Lemongrass felt a little out of place. English with the Japanese style I can of course get past for the sake of being able to understand it, but throw in references to another random language and it just feels a bit off. Still, this is a small point and doesn’t detract much from Carpe Fulgur’s excellent work.

Final Verdict: “Exceeded Expectations!”

With its delightful mixture of store simulation and dungeon crawling adventure RPG elements, Recettear is a refreshing twist on the usual adventure style RPG. It’s funny without being annoying, addictive without being too repetitive and has deceptively deep gameplay. Overall, Recettear is a charming game, well worth the money!
More information.

From the translators site:

"Recettear has done what we had barely dared to hope it would do: in a month it has secured the future of Carpe Fulgur by allowing all of its members to make wages comparable to "proper" jobs in the industry for an entire year, and has provided EasyGameStation with a massive new stream of revenue that they did not previously have access to."

Charming game and cheerful real-life story. Well done guys & all the best with future projects.

I tried the demo. It offers maximum 1280x720 resolution, and won't start for me, so I said no.

I'm playing this game since the sales discount bomb. I love this game, because it's so hilarious with their conversations, especially of Recette's and Tear's.

If you guys liked Disgaea, you'll like this one. In a sense the battle system in the dungeons do remind me of Legend of Sayuki(PS2 Arcade RPG)!

Maybe they just want to make the game seems like more sophisticated by throwing in some French words, lol

Back
Top Bottom