What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

It definitely was a desaster. Yet I found it entertaining for a number of reasons too hazy to write down :/. One of the better reasons was that it made me want to see Team America again.

Oh, thanks for the info. I really didn't like the F&F movies, but I guess that's one I gotta see after all. Even if those are hardly Waldorf&Statler roles :).

the Human Centipede - Weird, no completely off the wall mad scientist movie. Interesting, yet revolting on many levels, not a movie for the weak of heart (or stomach). I liked it, but wouldnt recommend it lol.

Just got done watching it.

Holy scheisse! Those Germans are sick, sick people. ;)

Limitless

Like with most Hollywood gimmick movies, it's a very interesting premise that's not taken far enough. It's no surprise that having the ultimate brain capacity would, in Hollywood land, be used primarily to gain money, power, and a lot of pussy. The latter I can sympathise with, though I prefer love myself.

However, I find it surprisingly entertaining and well put together. It moves with a brisk pace and I was actually not bored for a second, which is rare with this kind of film.

No real meat on it, but food for thought for its premise alone.

Full of plot holes and at least one key plot point that was never explained - but oh well.

Performances? Hmmm.

Cooper did well, I think. Not a particularly wide range - but he's an appealing personality and seems to be a good fit for the role.

De Niro did absolutely nothing new or interesting, but he wasn't bad either. Just good old, same old.

Howard, playing the russian loan-shark, was the best performance in the film, especially the scene towards the end with the blood. Very entertaining character.

Cornish had a limited role and did what she was supposed to do. Nothing to stand out, but she's a looker - which seems to be the Hollywood recipe for female supporting actress, unless they're doped-up crack-whore serial-killer monsters.

All in all, I'd say it's worth seeing as an efficient way to spend 105 minutes - but don't expect much in-depth exploration of what a person would REALLY do with such capacity.

finally saw "Sling Blade".

I liked it. Tho predictable to the max, and such black and white character dynamics to the core, I still found it a cool film. Something about that depressed, run-down, southern backwoods 50's manufacturing town sort of locale in the film really casts a shadow over the whole thing that makes it all the more moving.

down w/ pneumonia, so it's just me and Netflix...

Prince of Persia - Total action-fest based on the game, suprisingly violent for a Disney film! It was a good popcorn film actually, didnt mind it.

Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland - The CGI in this film was pretty phenomenal, and a very trippy movie overall w/ some of the usual Burton cast regulars. This is the first time I didnt like Depp's performance, as the Mad Hatter he just wasnt very good. And the makeup and outfit in general didnt help, it was pretty lame.

I've been watching documentaries on Netflix for the last couple of days, but the wife insisted that I actually watch a film, and so we decided on "All Good Things." It's a little flick that didn't sell for shit (basically just about everything on Netflix made in the last year) but it had Ryan Gosling, who I think is phenomenal, and Kirsten Dunst, who I also think is phenomenal, but also supposedly shows her boobs, which I've been dying to see ever since "Spiderman."

Can't say I was all that impressed. The story was lifted from the life of Robert Durst but it's a period piece primarily set in the 70's, and I can count on one hand the number of films set in the 70's that I enjoy. Something about the hair.

Anyway, Ryan Gosling and Kirsten Dunst are both great and Frank Langella is pretty fantastic, but the pace is tortuously slow, and the movie has a limp ending.

Watched "the hangover 2" during weekend , it is a proud successor of the 2st movie and those guys again bring hell on earth .

I saw it today. Good movie overall with some laugh out loud scenes, but not as good as the original imo. I was shocked at how blatantly they reused some of the exact same ideas from the first movie.

Saw Kung Fu Panda 2 with son & wife. I really hated the first one with part of it being I don't like Jack Black. This was a pleasant surprise and worth taking the kids to.

Prior to that saw the newest Pirates of the Caribbean. Didn't care for it. For that franchise to work I think you need all the supporting cast from the previous films. While Ian McShane was great, there were too many side stories that were not elaborated on to the point the whole thing felt incomplete (namely the young priest on Blackbeard's ship and the origin of the zombie crewmembers). While Johnny Depp was wonderful as Jack Sparrow in the previous installments, that character does not work well, imo, as the main character. Plus Penelope Cruz was awful. Unless your a huge Pirates fan, I would recommend skipping this one.

@xSamhainx re: Alice in Wonderland: I didn't think the Mad Hatter's makeup matched the overall look of the movie and I too, didn't like that. Overall I liked the film, but mainly because of Helena Bonham Carter as the Queen: that was a classic.

@JDR13 re: Hangover 2: I like a good raunchy buddy film as much as the next guy, but I didn't care for the original. Maybe because by the time I saw it the buzz had pretty much blown all the good scenes for me. Anticipating they will probably recycle old gags from the first is why I probably will not see it.

@JDR13 re: Hangover 2: I like a good raunchy buddy film as much as the next guy, but I didn't care for the original. Maybe because by the time I saw it the buzz had pretty much blown all the good scenes for me. Anticipating they will probably recycle old gags from the first is why I probably will not see it.

Maybe you just weren't in a comedy mood when you saw it? The Hangover easily ranks as one of the top 5 best comedies I've ever seen. Even the sequel is better than most, despite not being nearly as good as the first movie, imo. There's nothing more subjective than humor though. :)

despite not being nearly as good as the first movie, imo.

As you said they shamelessly reused everything from the 1st... i think that HO1 was a blast as a fresh idea when in 2 we pretty much knew what it was going to happen.

@EvilManagedCare I dislike Cruz since she played in Almadovar's movies . It is not a bad movie but i think they overdid it with magic .

Maybe you just weren't in a comedy mood when you saw it? The Hangover easily ranks as one of the top 5 best comedies I've ever seen. Even the sequel is better than most, despite not being nearly as good as the first movie, imo. There's nothing more subjective than humor though. :)

2 things I thought very funny from the first: Zak Galafinakis and the dentist's wife. Plus you got to see Heather Graham topless.

What killed it for me I think was all the hype. I didn't see it until it was released on DVD when I believe it was touted as the best comedy since Animal House. It most certainly did not live up to that imo. I had a similar experience with Something About Mary. By the time it was released on DVD, all the gags were known (and enough with the hair gel scene already). I think had I seen both of these while they were still new and in the theaters I would have enjoyed them more.

Priest - action is okay , cgi is nice , story is as stupid as it can be and not everyone dies in the end , i have mixed feelings about this one , do not watch if you don't like ridiculous script.

Stake Land - This one is better and it presents a cross breed between vampires and zombies , really hard to tell who is who . A road movie that includes a lots of staking without getting too melodramatic boring .

Crap, am I the only person that thinks The Human Centipede was a decent movie?

Now I just finished seeing a documentary called "HOME" and it was really really good. It shed a little light over some things I didn't knew about when it comes to the way we live and made me appreciate more the simple things in life that we take for granted.

I never said i didnt like Human Centipede, in fact quite the contrary. In fact quite a few of the film's finer quotes have now made it into our lingo. Gems such as (paraphrasing) "now i know that YOU ARE THE MIDDLE", or "FEED HER!" (which is usually met w/ a grimace).

Oh my beloved Three Dog… =]

Back
Top Bottom