Deus Ex 3-Engine News @ Eurogamer

magerette

Hedgewitch
Eurogamer has posted a few additional tidbits of information on Deus Ex 3, primarily the news that Eidos has chosen in-house tech for the engine:
Eidos Montreal boss Stephane D'Astous has said Deus Ex 3 will be built on the Tomb Raider: Legend engine.
Working with other Eidos studios like Crystal Dynamics (and IO Interactive) is a big plus for him, as it provides a solid foundation to quickly build upon. However, D'Astous is also adamant this game will not be rushed, but spend a regular two years in development.
"We chose the Crystal engine because we plan to help develop this engine more and then share it back with the rest of the company, the other Eidos studios." Stephane D'Astous told Develop [a European game developer's site-see link below]...
"Having that technology from the start gives us a great advantage and foundation for our coders - there are no doubts about the approach, and we have few uncertainties."
Deus Ex 3 will be the first title Eidos Montreal has developed, before it moves on to another existing Eidos IP and then embarks on an original project.
It's taking the resurrection of the action role-playing FPS whatever series very seriously too, and looking to the cherished first instalment for inspiration.
"Deus Ex 3 is an incredible title to be working on, and will also help us attract talent. Real gamers, serious gamers. It's a big mandate we have received - and we take it very seriously," continued D'Astous.
You can read more on this subject from Stephane D'Astous in the original article where these comments appear, a Q & A with Develop

More information.

Deus Ex 3 will be the first title Eidos Montreal has developed, before it moves on to another existing Eidos IP and then embarks on an original project.

Can it possibly be the Legacy of Kain series????*fingers crossed*

Mediocre Engine + Young Developer = ? :S

Yes, i was going to edit my post:

Mediocre Engine + Young Developer = The Witcher :biggrin:

Can it possibly be the Legacy of Kain series????*fingers crossed*
God I hope so.:D
Yes, i was going to edit my post:

Mediocre Engine + Young Developer = The Witcher :biggrin:
The Crystal Engine isn't mediocre imo. Tomb Raider Anniversary looked good imo. Nothing extraordinary. But nice.

Most important is that it's not so system-demanding

Most important is that it's not so system-demanding

Yeah. TB Anniversary worked beautifully on my low-end system(Celeron 2,4. 1 giga ram, 7600gt). Also another Lok on the same engine would be awesome.

But they'll probably change the engine in a certain amount, and raise the system requirements.

But they'll probably change the engine in a certain amount, and raise the system requirements.

That's definate because in two years graphics of TBA will be outdated but I'm sure the raise in reqs will be minimal

PS:I like your signature:D

this is good news

it's much more easier to develop and expend an existing engine then start a new one from scratch. remember gothic 3 fiasco? it means Eidos will have more time to actually invest in the game itself+they see the first game as the true Deus ex to follow.

Since the game won't be conming out for at least another two years, I really wouldn't have minded if they had chosen UE3, for instance. I wasn't at all blown away by TR:L's visuals, and in 2 years' time, it's gonna look awfully dated. Plus by then, most gamers will own rigs that could easily handle UE3 as well. So, the gfx engine is definitely a bad choice, for starters.

Since the game won't be conming out for at least another two years, I really wouldn't have minded if they had chosen UE3, for instance. I wasn't at all blown away by TR:L's visuals, and in 2 years' time, it's gonna look awfully dated. Plus by then, most gamers will own rigs that could easily handle UE3 as well. So, the gfx engine is definitely a bad choice, for starters.

Definitely agree - the UT engines tend to scale nicely over time as well. They keep tacking on technology that keeps it up to date.

I thought Tomb Raider Legend looked fantastic. The level where you had to climb the outside of the tower building was visually stunning, and I can easily see that being well suited to DX3.
Of course the graphics will be significantly improved for a 2009 release, but in my opinion they don't need to be. A nice wide-ranging scaling option would be nice. Personally, I really don't care for the strides towards "photorealism" in games, I find it extremely boring. I like my games to look like games, not animated movies. But that's just me, in a very, very small minority.

Yes, Unreal engines have always scaled well, isn't amazing that one of the most beloved games, so far still doesn't have a texture upgrade? I would truely love to see some revitalization of Deus Ex, if t eidos is going to keep screwing everything up by focusing on consoles first and quality second.
UT engine is only one step from U2 and very close to the UR2003-4k, maybe just a conversion would be easiest? Hell, if they screwup DX3, hopefully there will be some movement in that direction.

Yes, Unreal engines have always scaled well, isn't amazing that one of the most beloved games, so far still doesn't have a texture upgrade? I would truely love to see some revitalization of Deus Ex,

You mean like this?

Wow, thought this project had long been canceled, there was a long thread on TTLG but it died long ago, iirc.

Thanks. :)

Tested it and it's not really what I was expecting, hardly noticeable atm. SS2 & IW has a much better texture upgrade package maybe these guys need more time but still good someone is finally getting around to it. :)

Back
Top Bottom