RPGWatch Feature: Legend - Hand of God Developer Diary #6

Gorath

Prime Evil
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
In his latest journal entry Jan Beuck talks about the most important thing in an action-RPG: Combat.
Legend promises to improve on the genre standard with its spectacular Cinematic Combat System .
We all know how it usually takes many, many hours to reach an end boss. The boss looks impressive, and you expect a challenging fight – but when you hit him in the knee, he doesn’t react to the stimulus at all. Or even worse: hitting the boss in the knee seems to cause him serious chest pain. Did I accidentally pick the acupuncturist when choosing my class? Be that as it may, the giant‘s huge weapon hits the ground meters behind me. Ha, now his size suddenly is a big drawback! Or not: I seem to take damage no matter what. And in the end, one of us slumps with an arrow in his back… huh?

More information.

Interesting, at least the hero and the enemies aren't just standing there in whack-a-mole style. For gameplay's sake, weapons seemed to have impact on it as well which is always nice. To execute this feature, it will need lot of animation work for all the hero and enemy types though.

I was left kind of confused if the jumping on the monster's head was a special move that required player interaction or just automatic animation based on your character's stats. Did anyone else figure this out from the text?

I'm not sure Surlent, I couldn't tell either. I worry a bit about the over-focus on 'making it look good'. You have games like 'Star Wars Episode III' that really focused on making the combat look like it was really happening ... but that ultimately fell into the trap of *only* worrying about that, and even then the combat was no match for what had been done in the Jedi Knight games.

I love things that look good, but consuming so many resources on it seems a bit worrying, and I just wonder how it will all control.

The GameStar preview says the combat is handled like in every other Diablo clone. Only the visuals are way more spectacular.
They also guess the required massive amount of animations is one of the main reasons to use a fixed hero (name: Targon).

The GameStar preview says the combat is handled like in every other Diablo clone. Only the visuals are way more spectacular.
Yes indeed. I was able to play the demo at RPC germany. It's really simple. Left-click = attck, right-click = special ability.

Back
Top Bottom