Assassin's Creed: Oddesey or GreedFall

P

purpleblob

Hey guys,

I'm tossing between these two, please help me decide which one I should play :)

Depends what you want to do, these two are rather different games.

AC:O is a AAA game.
GreedFall is a AA game.

AC: Odyssey is a HUGE game (I've seen people with 300+ hours for a single playthrough). It's also open world with zones that have levels range.
GreedFall has 40 to 60 hours of content. It's not open world (use large zones) and there is no level range (you'll see skull on top of enemies that are too high for you though).

AC: O has no companions, but some quest have NPCs going with you. Romance are kinda done and forget and tied to a quest chains with specific NPCs (basically a possible reward at the end of the quest chain).
GreedFall has companions. You can only romance one person and it's late in the game.

AC:O is about playing a mercenary during war time in ancient Greece, you'll be doing a lots of killing.
GreedFall is about playing a diplomat, depending on your choices, there might not be that much killing.

AC:O is very hard on gear. You need to upgrade or your damage will drop off a cliff real fast. Leather requires killing lots and lots of cute animals and it doesn't drop as often as loot like ore and wood. But you can change equipment appearance at like level 8 which is nice.
GreedFall is very lenient in term of gear upgrade and it's cool as it change your equipment appearance.

Neither game support jumping, but AC allow for a lot more freedom with all the climbing.

I find both games to be pretty looking in their own ways.

AC:O start is kinda boring (my opinion, it's the second time I start the game, I lost my last save in a HD crash and it just doesn't grab me).
GreedFall start is heavy in info-lore dump.

They both have similar combat with AC:O being more polished, but GreedFall has magic and guns.

I feel Greedfall matches your tastes better after reading hundreds of your posts. ACO is prettier but Greedfall has the type of outfits you seem to like and it has a couple dudes to romance. ACO does quasi-sex but not really romance at all. Greedfall also has party mechanics that I think you'll enjoy. Be sure to grab the camera mod though as the head bob will really set you off.

Pah, AC:O's romances seem pretty silly to me. Pick the options with a 'heart' next to them and, at the end of the quest, you'll kiss and have a little picnic - then fade to black. The end. (First Blade DLC is an exception.)

I didn't have much problem with skins. Boars, bears, and other decidedly not-cute animals provide quite a bit. Breaking up your own gear provides a lot, too. Plus you don't need skins until you start upgrading armor. I didn't do that until I got my ship upgraded most of the way. Also, it's really no problem to let your gear fall 5 levels behind.

Haven't played Greedfall yet. It's way too new.

Hey guys,

I'm tossing between these two, please help me decide which one I should play :)

Its hard choice since I like both of them! Since @azarhal; has done great break down above, I won't go into the details but since you are having motion sickness with GreedFall get ACO.

Also ACO is absolutely beautiful and they pretty much recreated ancient Greece based on historical records so its almost like you visiting there! I read so many of these Greek mythologies when I was boy so when I come across all the stories, places and people in game, it is like geek's wet dream!

Since ACO is been out for a while you can get the complete game with expansion for very cheap price now. If you have big TV, then get it for the console like PS4. Trust me ancient Greece on 55inch TV screen is absolutely amazing! My wife is not gamer but she will sit and watch me play it on the big screen as its looks so good, she even tried to play it herself.

I have 34inch ultra wide screen monitor for the PC but I still prefer the 55inch TV for this game and I have the game for both PC and PS4! PC graphics details are slightly better but with TV you sit far away, they look the same and the TV will win out due to far better immersion of the big screen.

Its not deep RPG but its fun game nevertheless and you will easily get good 50/60 hours of fun and get value for your money as you won't be paying full price any more! Its huge game and it took me about 100 hours to finish the main quest along with some side quests. I have not started the expansion yet but I hear they are about 50 hours on their own.

I might pick up Oddesey on PC first and see how I go - heard this may also trigger my motion sickness.

If I get sick, maybe I will pick up both on console when they are on sale and see if bigger screen + more distance from the screen helps.

Buy both. And both on PC, assuming it's good enough to provide 60 frames per sec output (more frames = less motion sickness problems).

Just remember for Odyssey, pick gold edition but do not even think about paying for whatever ingame microtransactions.

GreedFall latest patch apparently "fixed" the camera (I haven't tried it). I personally had to use a mod (I'm on PC) to remove the "head bob", but without it it was fine.

I don't have motion sickness while playing AC:O, but that might depends what you do in it.

blob of purple reported it didn't help with their motion sickness.

GreedFall latest patch apparently "fixed" the camera (I haven't tried it). I personally had to use a mod (I'm on PC) to remove the "head bob", but without it it was fine.

I don't have motion sickness while playing AC:O, but that might depends what you do in it.

I posted it in the patch thread, but I want to post it here in case it gets missed. In Greedfall:

Is the "sickening" effect from "mouse acceleration"?

I find there's a kind of momentum to the camera. Instead of just stopping when the control input is stopped, the camera still moves just a little, as if it's slowed quickly as it's stopped. I don't get sick from the game, but this momentum feel to movement and camera gives it a sense of drunkenness to me. It's unpleasant to me, but not horrible.

I'm not sure if mouse acceleration is the correct term here.

I never could finish AC. According to steam I have 10 hours. Already on my second play through of GF.

All about taste though and since I think our tastes are pretty different it might be a sign that AC would be a better fit for you :)

Not directly related to the discussion, but do you need an extra launcher (like Uplay) to be able to play Origins if you buy it on Steam?

Yes. The game will install and run it when started.

Yes. In general there is no reason to buy an ubi game on steam unless there is a better bargin - but a lot of the discount places like gmg and humble sell uplay version directly.

Not directly related to the discussion, but do you need an extra launcher (like Uplay) to be able to play Origins if you buy it on Steam?

Yeah, I never buy Ubisoft games on Steam for that reason. There's no point unless you really care about Steam achievements that much.

Speaking of AC:O, it's another game sitting in my backog. I played it for a few hours and thought it was ok, but it didn't grab me hard enough to move it up in the queue. The fact that it's so lengthy goes against it in my case.

Back
Top Bottom