I want your opinions on video games. For science!

Gav391

Traveler
Hey all,

I've made a survey that tells you what type of gamer personality you are. Are you an Immersion Engineer, or an Escape Artist? Do you battle with real people or seclude to the shadows in a world of your own making?

The reason why I made it is to gather research on people's gaming behaviours. Now as a gamer myself (WoW Heroic Tomb of Sargaras Raider), I feel like I have a good grasp of the gaming community, but as with all things, you need to do the research before making assumptions.

The survey itself is looking to explore information about:
• Different aspects of your personality
• What video games you play
• How much you play by yourself and with other people
• The impacts of your video game use on your daily life

You can find a link to the survey and more information here (you might need to disable adblocker):
https://sydneypsy.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_9WtE0LKWzw4yvBz

So let me know what you think. Do you think I guessed right? What did I miss?

One more thing. A survey like this is limited, and doesn't give people a voice to add what they want to say. I really encourage open opinions about the video game community and maybe how the news and public have a negative view of video games. Whenever I present, I add the personal messages people have sent me to encourage other researchers to remember that we are people too, not just numbers. Tell me what you think and let me know if I can share your comments in my presentations.

Thank you,
Gavin

Attachments

• List Image v2.jpg
    List Image v2.jpg
    289.5 KB · Views: 81
Eh? How do we know you're not a spambot, kind of sound like one?

Finished...turns out I'm a "reclusive Tactician" ( kind of sounds grand and ominous).

Anyways, I agree there should be more psy studies into gaming and addiction/mental problems...know a few people Irl who really suffered from it ( usually hooked into MMO's), it's still an overlooked issue.

He is not a spambot. Asked permission before posting this.

Reclusive tactician and immersion engineer. Don't really think the second category fits well.

Ditto mighty one, reclusive tactician & masterful traveller

Putting my academic hat (actually Tudor bonnet) on, interesting survey I will certainly watch for the results.

Last edited:
Reclusive Tactician and Mayhem Mystic.

Reclusive Tactician and Masterful Traveller.

Done.
Reclusive Tactician & Escape Artist.

For World of Warcraft I'd put 0, but it's in the same basket with Mass Effect and Fallout where I'd put 5. Even 6 if was possible.
To make sure MMO garbage is not a part of my result even if it kills proper games I decided to put 0.

Another problem:
"In the last 2 WEEKS, have you played Trails in Cold Steel with other people (online, or in person)?"
This game is not MMO.

Then this:
"How much do you enjoy playing Trails in Cold Steel socially?"
And a bunch of "social" questions after it…
I don't play anything "socially". I mean, it's videogames not RL!

This is survey is horrible and is MMO/facebook/phone centric.
I decided not to complete it and hit X.
Sorry Gav, I hope you get better luck with others.

Joxer: If you would look at the last option on those questions, you would see the "not applicable" option. That's why it's there.

Let's see, what game played the most in the last two weeks? Looks like No Man's Sky.

"How would you best categorize No Man's Sky"

Oh crap. Maybe I should wait a week so Torment is the most played? No! It's for science! Must soldier on!! It's a… spacy survival exploration screen shot generator. With pods.

Am I playing with other people? Ummm…. that's a matter of some debate but certainly mostly not.

Favorite Game?

X3: Terran Conflict

What genre?

Oh here we go again. A shooty, strategic, economic empire building, space… thing.

End result: reclusive tactician & masterful traveler

Buying a game, get bored with it, and move on to another game before its done? Y'all don't know me very well. I finished The HUB in X3!

I got "Clan Lord" and "Escape Artist". I don't think the quiz was very accurate.. I have a feeling it determined that I am clan lord based on questions asked about WoW. I answered I enjoy playing with others, but I only really enjoy playing it with husband. I prefer single player games where I can fully immerse myself in with story without being interrupted by others.

Also, isn't it a bit silly asking about what two games you played most last 2 weeks? I've been playing WoW and Nuclear Throne mostly because I finished playing some of story driven RPGs recently and having a break from them till I find another interesting one. But the quiz seem to assume that I like MMO for that reason.

Masterful Traveller and EXTREMELY reclusive tactician. The 2nd choice is funny because I prefer single-character games over parties. The survey isn't really to find your genre though, but to see if gaming is a social problem. Since I'm anti-social to the extreme, the survey didn't know what to do with me :)

Here's how anti-social I am. My wife is also my best and only friend, except for one of her triplet sisters, who is also acceptable. I see my Dad and sister a couple times a year and they call me a handful each. I also have one or two friends from high school that I do something with about once a year. That's it. Works for me :D

I do have a co-worker that I talk to every day, naturally. He is also a friend and I eat lunch with him everyday, so that's my main social outlet.

Now, what is really weird is that people don't find me anti-social at all. Everyone wants me to come to parties, events, etc because I make them laugh. I just never go :D

Reclusive Tactician and Champion of Glory. More and more over recent years I have become driven to play games that give me a sense of achievement, I'm sure to compensate for my general lack of achievement in real life.

Yeah, Reclusive Tactition and Champion of Glory.

I think I would survey different if Neverwinter Nights 3 ever came out.

3LFiGuD.jpg

I'm quite interested to find out the data that comes from this. If they somehow came out with a Briggs Myers style assessment, we could find out how to maximize our computer game enjoyment.

Since I've been redrawing mostly from games in the last months the survey would turn out quite different it it had taken place during last year.

I'm quite interested to find out the data that comes from this. If they somehow came out with a Briggs Myers style assessment, we could find out how to maximize our computer game enjoyment.

I'm hoping the data will be used in an interesting way. The actual profiles this test ascribes to us seem pulled out of their ass, but hopefully that's just a bit of fun to give people something to look at after participating.

Last edited:
Well if its for science ....

Reclusive Tactician and Escape Artist

Got Reclusive Tactician and Masterful Traveller.

First one is a Bull's Eye, the second not really - while I'm interested in a lot of Genres and Games I never tire of good classic Games and I don't like most modern Games :D
I don't know if I have a habit of not finishing Games; I finished a lot of them, but I lost interest in a lot too…

Back
Top Bottom