Mage's Initiation - Releasing January 30th

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
@Gamasutra Mage's Initiation will release January 30th next year.

So, you want to be a Mage? Then mark your calendar for the January 30 release of Mage's Initiation: Reign of the Elements -- a lovingly crafted old-school adventure/RPG ten years in the making.

New trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKW-32Qki_k

Steam page: https://store.steampowered.com/app/270610/Mages_Initiation_Reign_of_the_Elements/

Want to cover Mage's Initiation? A preview build is available now, and we'll have full review copies in early January -- write to press@himalayastudios.com to request either or both! (Windows platform only for now.)

About Mage's Initiation: Reign of the Elements

Sixteen-year-old D'arc has spent most of his life confined to the Mage's Tower, studying elemental magic under the instruction of Ele'Wold's most accomplished scholars. Now his skills will be put to the test with three quests across a mystical land he knows only from stories and dreams.

But something's rotten in Ele'Wold: the realm's once benevolent winged guardians have turned hostile and restless redcap goblins are on the warpath. Can D'arc pass his initiation *and* rescue a kingdom on the brink of chaos?

Mage's Initiation is an adventure/RPG hybrid inspired by the venerable Quest for Glory (a.k.a. Hero's Quest) and King's Quest series by Sierra On-Line. It's the second commercial adventure game from Himalaya Studios, who have also released four free remakes of classic Sierra games under the moniker Anonymous Game Developers Interactive (AGDI).

Features:

• Choose from four character classes -- Fire Mage, Air Mage, Water Mage, or Earth Mage -- each with unique magical spells and puzzle solutions.
  • Explore a vibrant fantasy world with hand-drawn graphics reminiscent of the Sierra, LucasArts, and Revolution adventure games of the early 1990s.
  • Select between three point & click interfaces: a Sierra-style icon bar, a LucasArts-style verb coin, or a streamlined compact UI.
  • Run into combat for an RPG experience, or avoid it for pure adventure.
  • Automatically gain new strengths, spells, and abilities as your character improves -- no stat grinding required!
  • Get your money's worth: branching storyline and optional side quests provide replay value.
  • Fully voiced and lip-synced.
More information.

Choose from four character classes -- Fire Mage, Air Mage, Water Mage, or Earth Mage -- each with unique magical spells and puzzle solutions.
Where did Heart Mage disappear?

BAB-and-CB-Banner1.jpg

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...-a-classic-sierra-style-adventure/description
Android and iOS copies cannot be offered as rewards due to rules relating to their distribution (which are beyond our control).

I'm not a fan of the mage class at all, so I'll likely not be getting this product. I do admire the old school approach they're taking with this, so for those that do enjoy playing magi, I hope it's a blast.

Yuk, that gameplay.

Some old school stuff should stay old school and RIP.

I’ll be skipping this.

I liked their QfG2 remake really a lot. Basically a reason why I backed this one in March 2013. Now they finally plan to deliver with almost 5 years delay compared to original estimate. At least I hope the game will be good.

Yuk, that gameplay.

Some old school stuff should stay old school and RIP.

I?ll be skipping this.

Would take "old school" point-and-click gameplay over "modern" QTE gameplay any day of week and twice on Sunday.

Agreed, the Quest remakes were really well done. As for this new project, I like how they give you those three choices of interfaces to play it, that might be enough to have me even checking it out after release.

Would take "old school" point-and-click gameplay over "modern" QTE gameplay any day of week and twice on Sunday.

Point and click xcom style, sure. I still like some old school styles this just isn?t one of them.

I don?t like QTE?s either so you can have both gameplay styles.:p

To each thier own obviously but I?m just to far gone I guess and can?t return to that kind of game.

Reminds me of playing pajama Sam with my son when he was 2 or 3.

Point and click xcom style, sure. I still like some old school styles this just isn?t one of them.

I don?t like QTE?s either so you can have both gameplay styles.:p

To each thier own obviously but I?m just to far gone I guess and can?t return to that kind of game.

Reminds me of playing pajama Sam with my son when he was 2 or 3.

This is supposed to be Adventure/RPG game with heritage from old Sierra adventures. My personal opinion is, that point-and-click gameplay is wastly superior in adventure games over modern take on the genre like Heavy Rain or Detroit. These games have nothing for me in gameplay department. Of course they are full of eye candy, but gameplay is much more important to me. Anyway, Im talking about my own preferences, other people might see it differently of course :)

Well I definitely had fun with Rogue to Redemption, and this looks like more of the same, so I expect I'll enjoy it too. It's not like the market for this type of game is oversaturated.

Rogue to Redemption did a superior job in telling a story, travelling around the map, and having a combat system that was both fun and challenging. If this project even comes close to that level, I'll be playing it.

Hmm, the actual Steam store page says Jan 31st, but the press release and everything else is saying 30th.

I backed this game and hope I'll like it. I have enjoyed what I've played of Heroine's Quest and Quest for Infamy... Yet I haven't finished a playthrough for either.. While I can be very persistent with a difficult fight, for point & click adv games, I tend to lose interest quickly if I'm stuck on a puzzle (which usually means I've missed some item and I'm not a fan of pixel hunting). Hopefully that won't happen here. At least the trailer doesn't look quite as low res / pixelated as those games.

Loved the Quest for Glory and Kings Quest games back in the day and had fun playing Rogue To Redemption this year so this looks good to me.

Err, he pulled that big helmet right through the iron bars!?

Yes it needs some more thought than PUBG. You'd better go back to that one.

So if I don’t like this game I must play PUBG huh, no other options?

Oh wait, that was a funny shot at me. Sorry I didn’t catch that right away, it required a little thought an well, you know me. Welcome to the internet where if someone doesn’t like something you like you insult them.

You really should reach around and pat yourself on the back. I’m sure everyone that reads your post is laughing hysterically in front of thier monitors at your hilarity and wit.

I hope this post wasn’t wasted. I hope all your friend were gathered around to see the silver tongued assassin strike. ( you should change your screen name to that as keep it clean may be a bit too ironic) I’m sure you all high fived and chest bumped.

I see your pretty new posting here but you’ll go far taking shots at anyone that doesn’t like what you like.

However, if you have an epiphany and decide you don’t need to take shots at people that don’t like what you like reference Andrew23’s post above.

He didn’t agree with me and didn’t take a shot at all, his post was effective, informative and classy. So it can happen if you care to take some effort.

You're asking for a serious response when your response to the thread was a childish "RIP that oldschool game" . No you do not deserve any better than that. You even wasted 3 minutes writing the above and no explanation yet on your original response. So no, my time is not worth it .

Back
Top Bottom