Shenmue 3 - Excited about Shenmue 3

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
In an article at PC Gamer, the author explains why he is excited about Shenmue 3.

Shenmue 3 is happening, and it’s coming to PC. As a fan of the series, I can’t believe I’m typing those words. But there’s a very strong chance you don’t give a shit. The first two games were only ever released on Dreamcast and Xbox, and there hasn’t been a new entry in the series for 14 entire years. Why should you?

There’s every chance this new game, which is being funded on Kickstarter and by Sony, will be a disaster. A pale imitation, cynically fueled by nostalgia. But if its creator, Sega legend Yu Suzuki, manages to conjure up even a little bit of the magic of those first two games, it could be something special. I want to believe.

We don’t know much about Shenmue 3 yet, and all that exists is some (admittedly dodgy-looking) concept footage. So instead of speculating about what the game might be like, or what I want to see in it, I thought I’d look back and tell you why I love the series so much, and why its return could be a wonderful thing.
More information.

Even better news would be Shenmue 1&2 coming to PC :)

Even better news would be Shenmue 1&2 coming to PC :)
You are 100% right. While I'm obviously happy about Shenmue III, and backed the campaign as soon as it was up, I have many doubts they will make a game that captures the same "spirit" that the first two had. It will have a different engine (Unreal 4, so bye-bye Virtual Fighter combat engine for the fights), and will surely be on a much smaller scale (there's no way they'll have the means, staff, and budget to make such a rich experience, content and quality-wise, as the first two games), especially since it will mainly take place in rural China. Just take a look at the last disc of Shenmue II, to see what I mean about the setting. Less interaction, NPCs, things to do, (…).

While I have a working Dreamcast, I would love to have easy access to both Shenmue I and II, and any tweaks (improved resolution, loading times, …) would be a nice bonus.

If they offered some sort of emulated shenmue 1 and 2 for pc as a stretch goal they would rocket there funding up again no doubt. A pity about the distribution rights situation.

Honestly, my reaction to this always was "Wtf is Shenmue? Sounds like a console title. Meh...".

So this article is a pretty good idea. At least now I know what the hype is all about.

Honestly, my reaction to this always was "Wtf is Shenmue? Sounds like a console title. Meh…".

That's "cult" for you. Best thing since sliced bread for the infected and meh for the rest of us.

Back
Top Bottom