RPGWatch Feature - Warhammer 40,000: Mechanicus Review

I find your posts on other games usually pretty harsh, correct me if I am wrong but you are releasing something soon. Will you accept similar critiques?

Oh I hope that game gets a thread in this site. :D

I find your posts on other games usually pretty harsh, correct me if I am wrong but you are releasing something soon. Will you accept similar critiques?

mercy is probably just trolling (there is no other plausible explanation). If you look at mercy's comments from this point of view, they are actually funny.

I do not know if you guys played Waarhammer: DARK OMEN.

But that was the best warhammer game ever produced.
Total war came near, but I never had as much fun in warhammer games like in DARK OMEN.

Funny timing, this. There's a German podcast I'm listening to regularly, called Stay Forever, where two former reviewers talk about old games. They had their 100th episode this week and it was about Warhammer: Dark Omen. (and to a lesser degree, its prequel Shadow of the Horned Rat.)

I never really cared much about the Warhammer universe, mostly because I didn't know anything about it. Interested now.

forgottenlor said:
Unlike Wizards of the Coast, which hands the D&D licence out rarely, and then mostly for games like MMORPGs or action games that have little to do with their pen and paper games, it seems anyone can apply for the Warhammer licence, and make almost any game they like.
What's interesting is that originally Games Workshop was very protective of their license. They licensed out everything in their portfolio but Warhammer, because the latter was their main thing and they thought video games could not capture their miniature war game adequately or would cut into their miniature business.

There's an interview with Richard Leinfellner (23 min audio, transcript included) that was released yesterday. He and his team made the first two Warhammer computer games and he had some nice anecdotes to tell about how Dark Omen came to be and how they got the first license.

Funny timing, this. There's a German podcast I'm listening to regularly, called Stay Forever, where two former reviewers talk about old games. They had their 100th episode this week and it was about Warhammer: Dark Omen. (and to a lesser degree, its prequel Shadow of the Horned Rat.)

I never really cared much about the Warhammer universe, mostly because I didn't know anything about it. Interested now.

Yeah, Games Workshop moved mainly towards wargaming, and their fantasy roleplaying environment never got that much attention. I always thought that was a pity, and I've got a first edition of the rulebook, somewhere. The world was interesting - a sort of gritter version of D&D, with a touch of Lovecraft about it (similar to the ideas in 40K).

What's interesting is that originally Games Workshop was very protective of their license. They licensed out everything in their portfolio but Warhammer, because the latter was their main thing and they thought video games could not capture their miniature war game adequately or would cut into their miniature business.

There's an interview with Richard Leinfellner (23 min audio, transcript included) that was released yesterday. He and his team made the first two Warhammer computer games and he had some nice anecdotes to tell about how Dark Omen came to be and how they got the first license.

Yeah its strange, originally TSR wasn't overly protective of the D&D licence. There were actually a very large number of official D&D games in the 80s and 90s, of various quality. But when Wizard's of the Coast, which is a bigger company, took over that changed. I'm not sure if its because they ask too much for their licence of if they're really picky about what they want their products to be involved with (if its the latter, I'd say they've made poor choices).

Games Workshop's massive license sale is of pretty recent origin. Prior to Dawn of War, there weren't the massive number of games that we see now, that may have more to do with digital distribution encouraging more small studios to develop games than the actual difficulty of gettign a GW license.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom