Microsoft - Acquires Obsidian and InXile

In first!
Nope we have three other threads already.

Carnifex posted the news first & I was second.:p

Re-post time.
One of my friends from Canada just rang me, saying that Microsoft made it official and they are buying both Inxile and Obsidian. Not sure how he knows this or how accurate it is, but I've known him for quite some time and he's never fed me lies.
I see this as a good business decision as both developers are in a bad shape. Obsidian is dealing with poor sales of PoE2, and inXile's latest games are kickstarter flops.

I'll add more and say both Obsidian & inXile now have job security and access to more resources. Now the main question is will they continue to make isometric games?

I'll add more and say both Obsidian & inXile now have job security and access to more resources. Now the main question is will they continue to make isometric games?
I prefer isometric so that'd be best, but wouldn't mind if they ended up putting out more games like KotOR2 or FO:NV either. What I don't want to see is them significantly dumbing down their games and becoming "RPG lite" like the latest stuff from BioWare or Bethesda.

Heh heh, Microsoft rep didn't mention Fallout New Vegas
Makes you wonder why it was Obsiaidan's most successful game?
I prefer isometric so that'd be best, but wouldn't mind if they ended up putting out more games like KotOR2 or FO:NV either. What I don't want to see is them significantly dumbing down their games and becoming "RPG lite" like the latest stuff from BioWare or Bethesda.
Good reply I personally think it will change you might still see a few isometric games, but Microsoft will probably want more open world RPGS. As they sell and make more money.

I don't think Microsoft bought them to produce titles with 500k to 2m copies all the time. I wouldn't say they will never again. But Microsoft is a large company that is looking for large numbers, either in hardware, software services or copies sold. Everything else can only be recovery projects to regain creativity / motivation.

I don't think Microsoft bought them to produce titles with 500k to 2m copies all the time. I wouldn't say they will never again. But Microsoft is a large company that is looking for large numbers, either in hardware, software services or copies sold. Everything else can only be recovery projects to regain creativity / motivation.
Yep like I said above they will probably go more action based with open world RPGs. I remember they did work on a huge project for Microsoft that got canned years ago.

Link - https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...n-raid-obsidians-cancelled-xbox-one-exclusive

Though you might see small isometric games as a side project now.

The best isometric RPGs are made by Owlcat Games and Larian right now...

I'm waiting for the announcement Owlcat Games and Larian was bought by Sony.:lol:

Wait a minute maybe Fargo's tweet about Baldur's Gate 3 was tied to this announcement. Seriously the pieces of the puzzle are coming together.

Will it be Obsidian or inXile?

What other studios that Microsoft bought have produced anything we care about? Why should we believe it will happen now?

What other studios that Microsoft bought have produced anything we care about? Why should we believe it will happen now?
There's only one previous example (that I can think of) of a company they bought that was making anything we'd care about even before they were bought, and that's Lionhead. Fable 1 was mediocre-to-ok, then they got bought, and they kept making Fable games but they sucked harder and harder. Not sure if that suck can be attributed to Microsoft...

I'm waiting for the announcement Owlcat Games and Larian was bought by Sony.:lol:

Wait a minute maybe Fargo's tweet about Baldur's Gate 3 was tied to this announcement. Seriously the pieces of the puzzle are coming together.

Will it be Obsidian or inXile?
Owlcat is already owned by a big Russian company.

Owlcat is already owned by a big Russian company.
It was just a joke Archangel.:lol:

Though I was serious about what I wrote below it.

Last edited:
The best Microsoft published game: Starlancer developed by Chris Roberts.

holy moly!

I have, on an occasion or two in the past consumed far too many adult beverages and gone on Steam buying sprees only to wake up in the morning with a headache wondering what I'm going to do with all these new CRPGs sitting my library.

I wonder if that's what Microsoft is thinking right now....

Back
Top Bottom