Non-RPG General News - China's Crackdown on Online Gaming - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Non-RPG General News - China's Crackdown on Online Gaming

Default Non-RPG General News - China's Crackdown on Online Gaming

September 8th, 2021, 20:15
The Guardian is reflecting on the recent China's rule that forbids minors of age to play online video games on weekdays.

Why the industry should heed China's crackdown on video game players

While the west is unlikely to follow the three-hour gaming limit for children, developers would be unwise to dismiss it too quickly

Being a parent can feel, at times, like leading an authoritarian nation of one. You control what your subject can read, who they can speak to and what they can do; you deal with periodic revolts against your rule and occasionally engage in a simulacrum of democratic decision-making while knowing that you control the outcome.

But for all that authoritarian leaders like to present themselves as a parental figure for the country at large, it's rare that they actually get involved with the day-to-day work of, well, parenting. Which is why the news that China is taking on the job of limiting gaming time caught the attention of so many parents I know.

According to state news outlets, online gaming companies will be required to limit under-18s to just three hours of playtime a week, between the hours of eight and nine in the evening on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. The regulation has teeth: companies will be required to ensure they put in place real-name verification systems or go further and take their cue from companies such as Tencent, which recently implemented a facial recognition system that asks users to play on camera to prove they're over 18.

[…]

More information.

Redglyph

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)

September 8th, 2021, 20:29
Globalist mouthpiece extremely jealous and envious that 'non-Authoritarian' nations like the U.K. and European Union, Australia, New Zealand and the U.S. aren't doing this…

connus

Traveler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
+1:

September 8th, 2021, 20:31
Let's face it, videogames are dope.
But not all!
Those that are gambling falsely advertised as videogames, lootbox-o-ramas.
99.99% of chinese videogames are exactly that.

Not sure why chinese government didn't simply pose a ban on lootboxes and everything would sound better than restrictions in time (and money) spent on gaming.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 224 Post(s)
+1:

September 8th, 2021, 20:39
I kinda doubt that this chinese initiative had much to do with "concern for children".

It is perhaps more likely motivated by some study that claims children who plays lots of games to be more…."combative?", "rebellious?", "prone to question authority?"…something along those lines.

Feist

Sentinel

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

September 8th, 2021, 20:47
I'm just surprised its not also being applied to adults. Get those game crazy Chinese 24/7 online gamers in line! (sarcasm)
--
"Let Justice Be Done, Though The Heavens Fall"

To check out my games library, and see what recent games I'm playing, visit my steam profile! -- http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197982351404

Arkadia7

SasqWatch
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)

September 8th, 2021, 21:22
I think this thread should quickly get moved into our "politics" discussion area.
--
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)

September 8th, 2021, 21:39
Actually, too much of any one thing isn't good for you. I'm kind of appalled when I think about how I used to play mmo's for way too long, and even games like Wizardry, M&M, Bard's Tale, and others back in the day. These days I limit myself to two hours of computer playing and two hours of telly per day at a max, yet no limits on music listening nor reading!

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)

September 8th, 2021, 23:13
That's the thing, it's way too easy to get lost into games, some of those are quite long to beat. And I consider myself lucky our kids were not addicted to games (or anything else) to the point of doing only that of their free time.

But it's bad when the state starts taking those decisions for you.

Redglyph

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Team

September 8th, 2021, 23:23
Well, I'm not interested in authoritarian solutions, but it wouldn't be the worst idea to keep a close eye on your kid's screen time.

My little cousin is fully obsessed with Minecraft. You can't do anything with him for two minutes without him bringing it back to Minecraft, or some Youtube doofus dicking around with Minecraft. We had games in my day, but something like this would have been clearly seen as having a problem, back then.
--
"I cannot define the real problem, therefore I suspect there's no real problem, but I'm not sure there's no real problem."
Richard Feynman

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 110 Post(s)

September 9th, 2021, 00:40
Don't play MMO's all that much like chinese gamers. Anyhow I can see why some countries would legislate this as people have died playing MMO's for days.

Pro-tip give your a body a rest every few hours and get some sun and sleep.
--
“Opinions are like assholes, everybody's got one and everyone thinks everyone else's stinks.”

Couchpotato

Professional Shitposter

Mentioned: 146 Post(s)
+1:

September 9th, 2021, 03:01
Originally Posted by Ripper View Post
Well, I'm not interested in authoritarian solutions, but it wouldn't be the worst idea to keep a close eye on your kid's screen time.

My little cousin is fully obsessed with Minecraft. You can't do anything with him for two minutes without him bringing it back to Minecraft, or some Youtube doofus dicking around with Minecraft. We had games in my day, but something like this would have been clearly seen as having a problem, back then.
My thoughts exactly. I’m not a fan of mandated things like this. Plus I’m really not sure how they’ll enforce this, since it’s so hard to prove identity on the internet. Plus what about games that don’t connect to the internet.

But aside from this, kids really shouldn’t just be dropped in front of a tablet/phone/console/pc/tv as a form of babysitting or keeping them busy. It really warps their mind. They should have their content curated both in time spent and in what they’re consuming. But for this to happen their parents need to be involved in their life, and not just work all the time to make ends meet.

danutz_plusplus

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)

September 9th, 2021, 03:13
If I had a child these days they wouldn't have access to a computer or mobile device until perhaps age ten, and even then there would be serious limits. I'm pretty happy my child didn't have to deal with all the devices that are rampant these days.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)

September 9th, 2021, 03:46
Unlikely? There is a 0.0 to the thousandths decimal place chance the federal government would ever mandate/enforce a limit on how much people can play videogames.

JFarrell71

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)

September 9th, 2021, 06:36
Good, now we can stop catering our media to keep them from getting butthurt.

Vangey77

Traveler

September 9th, 2021, 11:28
I'm no parent but this seems excessively mean on young people. I agree that things like loot boxes and mechanisms that promote addictive gambling behaviours need reining in. But three hours in one hour blocks, it can takes me nearly an hour sometimes to get through one quest, imagine a pathfinder character creation taking two weeks. It excludes children from being able to raid in mmos. I've read a couple of articles and don't see what it is people expect children to do instead.

Qayto

Watchdog

September 9th, 2021, 11:54
I think it applies to online games only. If they want to play single player games they're fine. Those are usually much less addictive and don't reward addictive behaviour in the same way.

Pladio

Guardian of Nonsense
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)

September 9th, 2021, 12:37
Originally Posted by Pladio View Post
I think it applies to online games only. If they want to play single player games they're fine. Those are usually much less addictive and don't reward addictive behaviour in the same way.
Yes, that's how I understand it too. I've just added 'online' in the post so it's less confusing.

Redglyph

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Team

September 9th, 2021, 15:17
Originally Posted by connus View Post
Globalist mouthpiece extremely jealous and envious that 'non-Authoritarian' nations like the U.K. and European Union, Australia, New Zealand and the U.S. aren't doing this…
Heh, that's not at all what he said. He basically said: "China takes an extreme position on games which try to influence/manipulate kids to spend more time and money on games than what is healthy. The West will likely regulate gaming more as well, if the industry doesn't change that.

SveNitoR

Keeper of the Watch

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

September 9th, 2021, 15:23
Originally Posted by Qayto View Post
I'm no parent but this seems excessively mean on young people. I agree that things like loot boxes and mechanisms that promote addictive gambling behaviours need reining in. But three hours in one hour blocks, it can takes me nearly an hour sometimes to get through one quest, imagine a pathfinder character creation taking two weeks. It excludes children from being able to raid in mmos. I've read a couple of articles and don't see what it is people expect children to do instead.
Yeah, it's extreme, but China is after all a totalitarian, corrupt regime with concentration camps, imprisonment and "reschooling" of politically different views and orwellian surveillance.

It's old men who decide the agenda and morality there, and I'm pretty sure most Chinese 50+ year old people didn't play video games as kids due to China being dirt poor when they were young.

SveNitoR

Keeper of the Watch

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

September 9th, 2021, 17:58
Originally Posted by SveNitoR View Post
It's old men who decide the agenda and morality there,
This "masculinity" thing there ?
--
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Non-RPG General News - China's Crackdown on Online Gaming