Death of the Outsider - Making Of @ RPS

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
RPS looks back at Dishonored: Death of the Outsider:

The making of Dishonored: Death Of The Outsider, and how Arkane killed a god "Every aspect of Death Of The Outsider is about the struggle to find your path toward either light or dark."

Dishonored: Death Of The Outsider is a revenge and redemption tale, only here the target of your revenge is god. 'We're going to kill a god' might seem like a well-trodden path in JRPG country, but Death Of The Outsider brings something new to the table. Here, the god is a trickster, a victim, and the source of the player's power. He's a figure that has come to define the Dishonored series as a whole, and is both revered and pitied by its players. So how, exactly, do you go about killing a god like this? I spoke to the developers at Arkane to find out.

As the culmination of a story started with 2012's Dishonored, Death Of The Outsider couldn't have been made without an incredible narrative team. Leading the charge were Harvey Smith and Sandra Duval, who conceptualised Death Of The Outsider with the help of Dinga Bakaba. The trio, based in Arkane's Lyon studio, also recruited 15-year game writing veteran Anna Megill, and Hazel Monforton - who at the time was a PhD student, but wrote such an eye-catching article analysing The Outsider as an example of the ancient Greek Pharmakos figure that Smith hired her for their new Outsider-centric game. (Monforton is also described as a "prodigious talent" by Megill, but had no prior experience with game development and at one point early on was wandering the Lyon office muttering "what even is a video game?").

[...]
Thanks Henriquejr!

More information.

Wasn't a big fan of the expansion and it's ending, but thanks for spotting this.

@henriquejr :thumbsup:

I really enjoyed the first game but still haven't got around to playing Dishonored 2 or DotO yet. Too many games, too little time.

It's sad that Arkane seems to be moving away from stuff like this now.

I absolutely loved Dishonored 2, and like DotO, but it wasn't the greatest. I remember not really gelling with the new abilities. But I loved the story.

I wonder what the main team at Arkane are doing now. The second team wrapped with Deathloop so they're also probably gonna start on soimething.

The main team will probably still continue on whatever they started before the Microsoft acquisition. I wonder what that is.

I absolutely loved Dishonored 2, and like DotO, but it wasn't the greatest. I remember not really gelling with the new abilities. But I loved the story.

I wonder what the main team at Arkane are doing now. The second team wrapped with Deathloop so they're also probably gonna start on soimething.

The main team will probably still continue on whatever they started before the Microsoft acquisition. I wonder what that is.
The main studio of Arkane is working on a co-op game called Redfall.

The quaint island town of Redfall, Massachusetts, is under siege by a legion of vampires who have blocked out the sun and cut the island off from the outside world. Trapped with a handful of survivors against diabolical enemies threatening to bleed the town dry, choose your hero from a diverse roster, grouping up with others to create the perfect team of vampire slayers. Redfall is an open-world co-op FPS being developed by Arkane Austin and will launch exclusively on Xbox Series X|S and PC in Summer 2022. Play it Day One with Xbox Game Pass.

What's with that coop craze in past few years?

Don't tell me, they realized they can't make WoW killer so will try to make Destiny killer.

Co-op sells that's why. Can't be any other reason why.o_O

I love Death of the Outsider - played it directly after finishing Dishonored 2 and enjoyed it much more as it felt fresh with very interesting stories and twists. And Billie was a unique protagonist wrapped into the story and voiced brilliantly by no other than Rosario Dawson.

I love Death of the Outsider - played it directly after finishing Dishonored 2 and enjoyed it much more as it felt fresh with very interesting stories and twists. And Billie was a unique protagonist wrapped into the story and voiced brilliantly by no other than Rosario Dawson.

And Daud is voiced by Michael Madson. Also nice. Yeah, I also liked Death of the Outsider, especially the world and story. But was very deflated at the gimped "blink" ability. You don't let me awesomely blink around with full freedom in D2, and then take it away from me and give me a busted version. :'(

And Daud is voiced by Michael Madson. Also nice. Yeah, I also liked Death of the Outsider, especially the world and story. But was very deflated at the gimped "blink" ability. You don't let me awesomely blink around with full freedom in D2, and then take it away from me and give me a busted version. :'(

I think that what made it more interesting, challenging and different. I also liked the contracts which were a distraction and like a puzzle to solve.

Add me to the list of happy campers regarding the final installment of a brilliant game series. To play all of these characters from their own perspectives - characters initially at odds with each other - fantastic and well executed throughout each game and DLC of the series. Not to mention the captivating world and gameplay.

I remember discovering Michael Madson being in the cast. I would have never guessed that Daud was voiced by Mr. Blonde, excellent acting; as well as Rosario Dawson.

I also loved this game like the other parts of the series.

The only small annoyance for me was the fact that there were two side quests, which were not meant to be solved non-violently. For one of them there was an easy workaround and for the second one some people claim to have found one too, but at least for the latter it was probably not planned that way. However this is only a very small issue in an overall great game.

Loved to play it completely non-lethally like the other parts.

By the way, in Deathloop, which I am just playing and loving, you can acquire some abilities similar to those in the Dishonored series, e.g a teleport ability and an ability to connect a few enemies, such that killing one of them kills all. So I can recommend that to all Dishonored (or Prey) fans, who may have been deterred by the classification as a shooter.

Well to clarify my point above Death of the Outsider felt like I was playing a fan-fiction based on Dishonored 2. Basically Dishonored only in name it's a shame.

One day I hope they return to the settings, but sadly the Ip was put on ice.:(

I was the opposite to your take on it Spoon, I also played it straight after Dishonored 2 and blamed my lack of warmth towards it on playing it too soon :) I didn't finish it, I should take another look at it.

Back
Top Bottom